Next competition ideas ( the great debate )

Started by Qube, January 22, 2019, 21:59:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

OK, the 8-BIT WARS competition is off and so we'll go down the route of discussion ( again ).

PM me when we've a viable competition that pleases 99% of people and we'll go for that one :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

if I was to suggest a theme I would already choose biased to my likings. And knowing this it means my suggestions will be the opposite as I try to avoid promoting what I like to see. A dilemma ;-)

- [gameplay] sound is the key, a game in which sounds/sfx/music is essential part of the gameplay  :-[
- [visual design] steampunk as visual theme, means handcrafted space ships with big cog wheels, guns with radio bulbs etc.
- [gameplay] a toddler / preschool-playable game (collect some stuff games, hit-to-burst-and-do-not-miss-something games)
- [gameplay] a child-friendly game (build a train track and let a train go, build a garden and let an ant hill do what it likes, ...)
- [gameplay] evolution, a game in which "evolution" (biological, technical, ...) is an essential part of the gameplay
- [visual design] 60s super hero comics: "boom", "kawoom", "expliosion-flame-shape" in a arcade game (or what fits to super heroes)
- [gameplay] any strategy/simulation game (turn based or real time)

round157

Quote from: Qube on January 22, 2019, 22:08:37
Derron ::) - If you have a competition in mind then post it here....

Yes, Derron is an intelligent member and always has brilliant ideas. If Derron organizes a competition, the competition will be very great and exciting.

Derron

Sorry if I created fuzz with the latest compo. Maybe having a "discussion" engages more people to join as they at least had a chance to hand in their theme vote "somehow". People like a little petting here and there ;-)

@ Qube
Is there a reason to not use the php generator again to mix up some stuff?

@ others
What's your (basic) ideas for themes? Abstract ones are allowing more flexible game ideas:
- "villagers" (simulation games, revenge-action-shooters, puzzlers ...)
- "weather effects" (tornados, even an Arche Noah game would be possible ;-))
- "mini games" (needs to contain at least X different minigames)

I prefer such things over the technical limitations (which has its friends too! but it limits amount of participants as not everybody enjoys coding some weeks just to not break the limitation rules).

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote@ Qube
Is there a reason to not use the php generator again to mix up some stuff?
It was very basic and really only meant for that mix up comp. Very easy to write so no reason someone could whip up something more appropriate if needed.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

BasicBoy

Quote from: Qube on January 22, 2019, 21:59:06
OK, the 8-BIT WARS competition is off and so we'll go down the route of discussion ( again ).

PM me when we've a viable competition that pleases 99% of people and we'll go for that one :)

FWIW, I was perfectly happy with the 8-BIT WARS concept & rules, and was beginning to cobble together something ZX-related.

My little expression of disappointment that the mighty Beeb wasn't one of the options wasn't a criticism (and I'm sure you never took it that way), it was just a self-centred moan!

Even though the 8-BIT WARS compo is now (sadly) off, I think I might carry on with what I've started anyway...

BasicBoy.
--

http://www.proggies.uk/

Morpheus

OK I had started to run through a few ideas for the 8bit wars theme. I wasn't going to participate before the theme came up and I really did fancy it  :o

I had already reworked my logo just to get a feel for the Commodore 64 palette and graphical oddities.

Was just about to post a few questions like: Can we have sprites in the border and other "tricks" like that?

So why the change of heart/mind?

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on January 22, 2019, 21:59:06

OMG! I spent half of my working day putting together a game design ready to start work this evening!

How come it's been cancelled? I haven't seen any later messages in the thread before it got culled. Personally, I thought it was a good idea for a competition.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

QuoteMy little expression of disappointment that the mighty Beeb wasn't one of the options wasn't a criticism (and I'm sure you never took it that way)
Not at all :) - I didn't even include my favourite 8-bit, the Vic-20 as the 8-bit wars were really between the ZX Speccy and C64.

QuoteOMG! I spent half of my working day putting together a game design ready to start work this evening!
Yeah, I spent a couple of evenings on and off working out the comp details.

QuoteHow come it's been cancelled?
I got fed up with trying to get some form of comp going and over the last few comps there's been negativity flowing in about the ideas. So I think it's a good time step away from arranging them and let someone else come up with all the ideas as they'll hopefully make up a much better competition.

So when it's all been sorted, i.e. theme / rules / dates etc, make the needed post and I'll sticky as the next comp.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I really wish some people would see a competition as a challenge, rather than meh I don't like that it doesn't fit my skill set.  I'll only enter competitions that allow me to use the skills I currently have, I do not want to even try to develop a new skill - so I'll sabotage any competition that challenges me.  And people will expect a certain type of game, which I also don't like.  You should only offer game styles that I like.  Game style was not mentioned as far as I can see, just a certain Spectrum/C64 look.  Not all games were arcade in style, even the Speccy had a Flight Simulator!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

round157

Quote from: Qube on January 23, 2019, 17:54:14

So when it's all been sorted, i.e. theme / rules / dates etc, ........

If the details of the next competition is decided after useful and healthy discussion between members. a lot of entries should appear in the next competition. Good.

STEVIE G

I didn't think the 8-bit wars was a bad idea at all - my only minor point would be that a theme would have given me more focus as I have too many ideas.  Sure, it would have been tricky to mimic the limitations of either system (colours per 8x8 wise) but I'd lie and suggest that I'd coded some fancy machine code to get around this and allow 16 colours  OR just go full monocrome :P

Did I miss more comments in the original thread as it looked like only Derron wasn't entering?

Steve Elliott

Sometimes (sadly) it only takes one constantly negative person.  I've explained my thoughts above.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

May I add my two cents:

I too do not like restricting to 8-bit palette and so on - because I never had an 8 bit computer and started gaming/coding on a PC from about 1989 onwards. So retro means very little to me.

But......to put a positive in here and a suggestion:

I LOVED the mixed themes randomiser thing we did a few months ago (Open World/Arcade, Retro/Strategy, Puzzle/??? etc)

It's very simple...easy to run and so on...simply provide 3 mixed random themes and let people run away with them however they choose.
We had retro games for those who liked them, 3d games from some, and all sorts.

But....that's my two cents.

STEVIE G

I definitely liked the theme randomizer too - just didn't have enough free time to complete my effort for that one.

Qube, could you post the original themes and others can maybe add to them until everyone is happy with the options and then just go with random again?