Warthunder - Getting a new rig / Thoughts

Started by MagosDomina, January 18, 2019, 00:03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MagosDomina

Been playing a lot of Warthunder lately, its an amazing game if you play on Realism mode. Not perfect but I've yet to find another tank game as satisfying and I own quite a few.

I'm running it on an IBM workstation that was given to me. It's a quad core 3.06 Xeon with 8 gigs of Ram, with an 8GB Radeon RX580 stuffed into it. It manages a steady 60fps slightly above high settings with most effects on. However the system has a glitch and will not boot correctly with more than 8 gigs of memory in any of the slots. (they have to go in a specific order) I've tried different brands of memory including different size Dimms and even actual memory *branded* for this workstation. I've given up and have my sights set on something like this to replace it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-Workstation-T5500-12-Core-3-33GHz-X5680-72GB-Ram/182210022847

Here is the only real issue that could arrise with this setup: https://community.amd.com/thread/202370

Do you think it will handle Warthunder on Ultra settings at 60 fps? I get 85 when hooked up to an CRT as opposed to a digital LCD. I don't have any monitor capable of Gsync of Freesync just yet.

When I tested Warthunder on my T7500 it ran terrible but it was due to the Quadro cards (despite having 8 gigs of Vram) and the fact the game is broken for SLI. My reason for wanting this is I don't game a lot with modern hardware, and I prefer the build quality of workstations. The major attraction of this machine is it will allow me to easily run the entire game within a Ramdisk. It won't be as fast for gaming as a regular I7 but its still a powerful Cpu in its own right. The slightly older workstations can be bought at quite a steal fully loaded and will last for many years.

Do you think I'm getting a good bargain or should I go with a custom built for a $500 price range? I can scavenge enough parts laying around so that I only need to order a Cpu, motherboard, and hard drive.

Rick Nasher

Well, must say I'm working at an under-specced HP laptop for at least 11 years now, so can't advise on the best and latest gaming rig (I would build it myself to be honest, if had the $ as gives way more control).

However, I do have experience in techsupport. Do you have earlier positive experiences with the brand you are suggesting? If so, by all means go for it.

The Precision lines are meant as high-end workstations for business , the XPS-es originally intended as the consumer variant of that(might share same features) and the Alienware's are purely for top notch demanding gamers(however incredibly expensive).

But I personally am not in a position to advise against any of these, if you know what I mean (that's-all-I-can-say). lol
Generally speaking I would just go over all reviews, seek for possible glitches and never buy the very latest model  out there in any case/brand. I would wait a while till all has been checked well by early adopters. But that's me of course.

Good luck for it's a maze these days..

peteswansen

My gaming computer is a AMD FX-6300 six core, 8 gigs memory, Nvidia GTX-960 graphic card.  I run Warthunder- full 1920-1080 at MAX setting, easily get in excess of 60 FPS.  Passmark CPU score -   

CPU Score  6386  lowest current price  $67.99

You don't say the full model name for Xeon. Their are easily a hundred variants-   The only one that says "Xeon 3.06 Ghz" is a very old model with a CPU Score of 491.

Xeon's range up to some of the fastest chips many with CPU scores of 4000 to 12000 per Passmark.