March 21, 2019, 09:08:14 PM

Author Topic: Code a game comp - 8-BIT WARS - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019  (Read 3560 times)

Offline johnno56

• Logic is the beginning of Wisdom.
Re: Code a game comp - 8-BIT WARS - Jan 25th to Mar 31st 2019
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2019, 05:02:01 AM »
Xerra,

I mentioned before that I am not a programmer but enjoy tinkering with basic. Simple games, although takes me a while, is about the best I can do. I prefer SDLBasic, RCBasic and QB64. I appreciate the offer of help I really do. I get a lot of help from the aforementioned forums, because quite frankly, I seem to need it. lol

I have used Game Maker 6 and 8, following tutorials mostly, and found it fun to use. Unfortunately, I cannot use GM studio as it will not run on my Linux machine, 6 and 8 do, but not studio... The program Enigma can load and create GM games but it is an effort at times.

In regards to being hard on myself... I do not think so. I know my skill levels and it didn't take me long to figure out that my efforts are nowhere near being able to reach the quality of games in this comp. I will agree that I am my own worst critic at times. But, when I saw the quality of the entries, criticism did not even enter into it. Those guys are 'good'....

The deadline was not a concern. I started my game some months back and finished it last week. When I heard that it was to be "8 bit style", I figured cool, colour palette change was all it needed. As I used to have an Amstrad CPC464 it was a "no brainer".

Do not get me wrong. I have no intention of giving away 'programming'. I may not be able to compete but I can still learn. This website has now been bookmarked and will be added to my already growing list of help sites.

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.