New Rig but which Monitor?

Started by Krischan, January 07, 2019, 20:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Krischan

Hi there,

after 5 years working on an iMac (with Windows only - hang him ;D !) I've just ordered a new custom PC rig with a GTX2080/8GB (no Ti). The iMac is still a very good machine but I want to have some new features like M.2, a system I can repair/upgrade myself, a much better GFX card and so on... you know

But coming from an iMac with a built-in display I now need a new Monitor, too - larger than 27" would be nice. My current Late 2013 (14,2) display is really good and is my reference for a new display which should have at least the same specifications (afaik: 27" IPS, 60Hz, 12ms, Contrast 1000:1, 375 Candela, 109ppi, 2560x1440 WQHD resolution). It is so bright at 100% that I'm running it at only 50% brightness most of the time. However, the iMac didn't like my eCigarette and the airflow design unfortunately takes a lot of air along the display and has led to slight shadowing and strange "pixel outgrowths", only noticable on a white background but I hope this isn't a general problem :(

I didn't check the display market for ages and after having read a lot of test reports I have now the choice between three devices. I'm no excessive FPS gamer so I don't need a fancy 144fps TN gamer display like the Predator/Alienware stuff. I'm working a lot with Photoshop CC and have always many windows open at the same time. Favourite Games currently: Elite Dangerous, Everspace, Skyrim, Kerbal Space Program, Civilization V, and a lot of older titles like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory :D The display should be quiet and consume not too much power (perhaps 50-60 Watt max.) I think 60Hz or 75Hz is sufficient for my needs, it should have a good response time, I don't need Adaptive Sync and I didn't like the available G-Sync displays. A nice to have feature would be PIP or Split Screen (attach a laptop and display both at the same time).

Here are my candidates:

1) LG 38UC99-W, 38" 21:9 3840x1600 curved AH-IPS
2) LG 38Wk95C, 38" 21:9 3840x1600 curved AH-IPS (successor to 1) with Fake HDR, which seems to be the only difference)
3) LG 32UL950, 31.5" 16:9 3840x2160, Nano IPS

Here is a ready comparison of all three.

The GTX2080 should be able to serve them all properly. So which one would you prefer? Or is it a bad choice and you'd suggest a different one instead? I'm not stuck to LG, I once had a LG 17" display and it was ok back then - I've only compared the specifications and came to the clue that LG meets my needs. But perhaps I've missed other alternatives.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Rick Nasher

Sorry for the late reply. Missed this one.
Which one did you choose in the end and does it live up to your expectations?
At my new job they have LG's too(previously worked for D(h)ell)