@Qube - AGK bit broken?

Started by Rick Nasher, January 02, 2019, 14:33:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

@Krischan
Indeed these are the preferred tools. I doubt I'd paid that much though, for I bought them when on individual sales which happen every now and then. I think I've spent tops 90 euros if not less.

You might wanna take a look at this thread AGK Generic Info (the first post). It has a free trial link in it.

If you want to buy, there are 2 options: via their TGC/AGK site or via Steam.
I preferred the first option and also purchased the Shader Kit, which is a nice addition if your system can handle it(on my admittingly old laptop it's a bit slow, on my phone, which is newer, no problem at all).
Later on I also got the GameGuru and Loader orderable via Steam, plus some additional free downloadable content.
I found that GG-Loader software checked if you have both GameGuru and AGK installed from Steam, which I didn't of course.
Luckily if you drop them a line about that, they'll provide you with a Steam AGK version too for free, which is pretty awesome.

Must say that GameGuru on my old laptop is way too slow to be usable, but on a system with a decent videocard and memory it works great and can be used as a level editor of which the content can be ported back into AGK using the GG-Loader.

So far I too have basically build stuff by hand using primitives, but not really on the vertex manipulation level.
Appears AGK is more geared towards creation of models in external tools and then manipulating them using shaders(which can create stunning effects), so I guess it's a bit more of a hassle to do things on the vertex level for lesser coders(like me  ;), but for skilled people shouldn't really pose a problem. Perhaps it's also considered as more old fashioned or something?

Apparently it can be done though as shown for example in threads by, among others TomToad in Vertex and Surface Commands and Puzzler2018 in MeshMemblock Function(s)

Some interesting project threads to check..

Minecraft clone thread

Making a simple Old School Style FPS Game in AppGameKit 2

Krischan

Rick, the Memblock stuff doesn't look like Blitz3D, rather than rocket science. Very complex. I think a more user-friendly layer like in MiniB3D would make sense here :o And thanks for the Steam notice - I would prefer the first option, too and wait for the next sale - there is no hurry :D
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Rick Nasher

I agree that it's not as user friendly as the Blitz3d commands indeed, it's working like in memory banks.
I'd rather see them implemented as native commands.

Quite a few commands are on the wishlist still hehehe.

Qube

So a new version was released a few hours ago and well, erm, it's now even worse :o - Well, on MacOS anyway.

1.. IDE blurry / slow scrolling bug - Still there

2.. GetDeviceWidth() / GetMaxDeviceWidth() now all return retina but if SetWindowSize( 1920, 1080, 0 ) and do a GetDeviceWidth() you get returned value of 3840. Of course the first thought is just to divide by two but then that brakes non retina systems.

3.. SetVSync() - New bug \o/ - this command is now ignored / overridden by SetSyncRate, which according to the manual shouldn't be.

Sure I could work around all these bugs but that means redoing code when they are eventually fixed. For now I'll stick to version 2018-07-12

I have reported this bugs in the main AGK release announcement thread but I think I should create dedicated bug threads... Yeah, I'll do that now. I want my AGK fixed :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Seen your post at AGK forum.
Seems purely Mac related(afaik) and they'll probably fix soon but, to prevent an unneeded reinstall I'll await the next version.

Thanks for the update.

GaborD

The IDE thing sounds really annoying. Hopefully they will fix it quickly.

RemiD

@Rick >> what a difficult time to be a fanboy, when everyhing goes bad :)) ( stay strong, maybe, in the near future, AGK will be functional and usable :P )

blinkok

It is quite stable on Windows. Apple is the problem and it appears that the problems are on the apple side except for the DeviceWidth/Height issue
I definitely think AGK need GetWindowHeight/Width commands

Rick Nasher

@RemiD
Quote@Rick >> what a difficult time to be a fanboy...
And I'm not a Mac user so not affected. lol

Dunno who's the "fan boy" here, but the logic is undeniable:
Who's the one *still* clinging onto a dead-for-long(RIP) single platform language against better judgement, with some kind of misplaced loyalty and fear of the new, while crossplatform alternatives are readily available and developed upon?  :P

Nothing personal, you know I respect you as a coder, you did some mighty cool things, but.. don't be silly, just finish your game finally and switch over here. ;)

[EDIT]
You might wanna check(if you wanna make some money):
Driving Test Success app named Apple's top paid app for 2018

Qube

Quotewhat a difficult time to be a fanboy, when everyhing goes bad :)) ( stay strong, maybe, in the near future, AGK will be functional and usable :P )
It's a difficult time for Mac users who want the latest and greatest version of AGK :-[

Luckily I don't need it right now for anything special so will be sticking with version 2018-07-12 until it's fixed. I'm sure it will be fixed as it's still in active development :P
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

@Qube:
QuoteLuckily I don't need it right now for anything special so will be sticking with version 2018-07-12 until it's fixed. I'm sure it will be fixed as it's still in active development :P

One of the advantages when a language isn't actually dead.  ;D

MikeHart

Quote from: Qube on January 10, 2019, 19:42:53
It's a difficult time for Mac users who want the latest and greatest version of AGK :-[

True to that. What apple is doing gives a lot of tool devs a headache.

Rick Nasher

@Qube:
Appears they've fixed some things for those mac issues and added some new stuff:

AppGameKit 2019.18.01 Released!

QuoteAnother January maintenance build for AppGameKit users. In this version we've added some new commands and made some important updates for the Mac:
•Added ExtractZipASync, GetZipExtractProgress, and GetZipExtractComplete commands to unzip files in the background
•Added GetWindowWidth/Height to return the size of the window, which may differ from GetDeviceWidth/Height on retina displays
•GetMaxDeviceWidth/Height now return the non-retina sizes on Macs with retina displays so they can be used with SetWindowSize
•Fixed ResizeImage not working with animated GIF images
•The debugger can now display the contents of a type variable

Qube

Quote from: Rick Nasher on January 18, 2019, 16:44:47
@Qube:
Appears they've fixed some things for those mac issues and added some new stuff:
The Mac version is still 2019-01-08 even though the included change log states 2019-01-18. I'm sure Paul will sort that out soon enough and re-upload.

Until the next time.