Why no expert takes over BlitzPlus??

Started by round157, December 17, 2018, 22:31:58

Previous topic - Next topic

round157

Quote from: RemiD on December 24, 2018, 07:14:21
you can always ask... by curiosity, for testing, but not sure if he wants to do technical support / fixes / mods / upgrades for free...

I encourage windman to contact Bobysait to ask for a download link. It is because a lot of other members may want to test or try this Bigbang engine.

3DzForMe

@ GaborD:

QuoteQuite frankly, there hasn't really been a stable, finished, focussed Blitz3D-style engine that can render at a high quality level (for it's time) out of the box since... Blitz3D.

Yep, B3D still cuts the mustard for indie coders, you can't keep a good tool down and it's now free!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

windman

@ GaborD:

QuoteQuite frankly, there hasn't really been a stable, finished, focussed Blitz3D-style engine that can render at a high quality level (for it's time) out of the box since... Blitz3D.

What about Darkbasic, Purebasic or Freebasic?

MikeHart

3DzForMe

Okay, I confess, haven't really tried those.

As for AGK, tried it briefly, had some minor issues figuring stuff out at one point. My resolve to suss out how things work isn't what it used to be. My Blitz 3D loyalty results from this little tool I managed to develop myself to compare Global Positioning Satellite files (tcx files:) - this is me jogging some letters of the alphabet around my local playing fields:

I'm almost to old to be bothered learning another coding language - lifes to short ;)

Although AGK is in with a shout ;)

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RemiD

not sure what the problems / bugs were for Xors3d, but the tests that i have done with it all worked well... (but it was years ago, and i did not have the same understanding, debuging experience, that i have now)

however, complaining that a language / engine is "dead" only because it is not updated anymore, is stupid imo, because the language / engine could be fast, stable, compatible with most computers, without major bugs...

you can take a look at the current state of Xors3d on the boolean.name forums (use google translate russian -> english to (try to) understand what is going on  ??? ) ( it looks dead ;D )

round157

Quote from: windman on December 26, 2018, 02:10:43

@ GaborD:

Hi....

The situation of DarkBASIC Professional! We can simply read in their official forum.

To prevent DarkBASIC Pro from becoming abandonware. DarkBASIC Pro became open source project on 15th Sep 2015!
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215409

An expert user of their forum updated DarkBASIC Pro on 24th Sep 2016. Afterwards, this expert user still frequently updated the software.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217979?page=1

In my opinion, DarkBASIC Pro has been reborn and is very energetic now!

MagosDomina

I never liked the syntax structure of Dark-basic its too wordy. Back in the day every DB book I tried to muddle through felt like a hackjob. However it seems to have been marketed a lot better compared to Blitz.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

windman

Quote from: Steve Elliott on December 29, 2018, 16:43:03
Yes horribly wordy and buggy.

The wordiness can be traced back to the ideas behind BASIC programming many decades ago.

Wordiness is in fact Good for beginners since it makes it more readable, understandable, which is why BASIC came into existence in the first place.

What's buggy about DB?

Steve Elliott

But BASIC in early forms never required very extensive 2D/3D and sound functions.

AGK has used 3 or 4 words (in full without abbreviation) and bolted them into a 1 word function!  A few of them and code does not look readable at all.  You can't see the woods for the trees and are always scrolling to read.

AGK a bit broken?  You might want to read that thread for a start.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb