Gaia One - Uptioan Metropolis (Flightsim/Adventure)

Started by MagosDomina, December 09, 2018, 00:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

MagosDomina

As the end of this year approaches I would like to take this opportunity to showcase what I have accomplished so far. In the screenshots below you will see the third incarnation of my hybrid vehicular combat/ flight sim/ adventure game. I had hoped by now I would be ready to produce a video showcasing the various gameplay elements, but unfortunately the game lacks several key features which until finished will not accurately portray the vision I have for this game.

My goal for next year is to release three videos, with the first demonstrating how the different vehicles and aircraft behave. The second video will go over how to navigate the HUD and how to fire weapons. Including a breakdown of the various types including traditional ballistic weapons, missiles, lasers, etc... The final video will show an entire mission which will be featured in the final game. From the initial load up at the hangar, through all the various waypoints, combat, and final flight home.

Around this time next year the game will also get a visual facelift as I continue to perfect my low polygon style. I do have in development a texture pack but for now I have focused on designing the game world and the hundreds of different vehicles that will populate it. The idea is that every object you see can be interacted with in some way. Let me know what you guys think I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. I have also updated my website for the seventh time, there is an animated gallery (media button) which plays music to the 80 screenshots I have uploaded from my game. The regular gallery displays all 80 select-able screenshots .

Anyways enjoy!

Animated Gallery: http://www.magosdomina.com/Giaone_animated_gallery.html
Plain Gallery: http://www.magosdomina.com/Gallery.html

Qube

Looks great and will be interesting to see it in action when you're ready to show videos of in-game goodness :)

The flat shaded polygon look I find is a great choice for indies as it allows you to create more assets quicker rather than spending many many weeks / months texturing each model and then optimising multiple UV's per texture for when you have loads of models in your game. Of course these days you have all the fancy PBR madness which for a solo indie is a real time sucker to create for each model and optimise across your game ( what happened to the good old days of a texture and to be really fancy, a normal map on top :P )

QuoteAs the end of this year approaches.... My goal for next year...
Your goal for next year should be to complete the game ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

round157

Quote from: MagosDomina on December 09, 2018, 00:06:25
As the end of this year approaches I would like to take this opportunity to showcase what I have accomplished so far. In the

Hi.....

Is it a Blitz3D game? Thanks.

RemiD

The flat shaded polygon look I find is a great choice for indies as it allows you to create more assets quicker rather than spending many many weeks / months texturing each model and then optimising multiple UV's per texture for when you have loads of models in your game.
i agree, faster, quicker, neat.

you can always add some graphics effects to make it look more high tech (glow, reflections, flares, depth of field...)

nice renders  8)

Steve Elliott

I love the look you've achieved with your game.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MagosDomina

If I could do this full time I could make a full release within one more year. We will see how things go.  ;D

Yes this is a Blitz3d powered game. I'm happy everyone likes the overall modern retro aesthetic.

RemiD

@MagosDomina>>are you aware that you can add nice reflections to your glass / mirror / metals materials by using precaptured cubemap textures ? it is fast (since it is precaptured)...

GaborD

I love the style, a great fit for such a game and definitely manageable (effort wise) for a lonewolf dev. Fully agree to what Qube said about the style.
Smart design choice.

Looking forward to further updates, I would totally buy and play a game like this.

MagosDomina

I have not experimented much with effects. But they will make there way in eventually, such extra details will help me achieve that neon light/tech noir vibe. :)

Thanks again for the kind comments.

GaborD

I think you don't even have to add much in terms of effects. Too much would just weaken the style.
Right now you have a clean easily readable design style. (this is such an important and usually underrated thing)

Some neon and a bit of glow to make it more neon/techy is a good idea and would fit the setting. 
Adding too many effects and details on the other hand could work against you.

In my mind the modern effect and rendering stuff is somewhat an all or nothing issue.
Have to avoid the dreaded "tried but didn't quite get there" territory so many indie games land in.
Assuming a quality artstyle, a game looking like 20 years ago will be perceived positively as retro, but looking like 4 or 5 years ago will be seen as something negative. People are weird that way.
It's basically the uncanny valley of game-graphics.  ;D

RemiD

about glow effect, i have done many experiments... imo full screen is quite slow (blur procedure) or inaccurate (blur with quads with offset at top bottom right left topleft topright bottomright bottomleft), i prefer "outline flares" (one textured quad for each shape) or volumetric glow (pushed out vertices for each layer, several layers for each shape)

Gabor will probably say that per pixel glow is accurate, but with Blitz3d, we can't do that !

GaborD

;D Yeah usually I would, haha.
I do love Blitz3D (I used it for a looong time) and it's great that it is still being used for great looking projects. The limitations are a good challenge.

I like the pushed out geometry idea, could be a fun thing to try.
Additional idea: Just one layer of it (to keep it fast) combined with spherical reflections (which stock B3D can do if I remember correctly) and alpha blending to only make the front sides glow. As long as the glow geometry's surface is set to smooth and curves around the edges, it could look really good and mostly hide the poly edges of the glow geometry.

RemiD

take a look :
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-201610071046.jpg
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-surfacewelded-201610081046.jpg
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-201611091141.jpg

MagosDomina

Quote from: RemiD on December 10, 2018, 20:36:40
take a look :
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-201610071046.jpg
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-surfacewelded-201610081046.jpg
rd-stuff.fr/glow-with-pushedvertices-shapes-with-decreasing-alpha-201611091141.jpg

Wow RemiD that's perfect! I will try and implement that as soon as possible.

GaborD

Quote from: RemiD on December 10, 2018, 20:36:40
take a look :

Looks really great!