Christmas plans - Ho ho ho

Started by Qube, December 10, 2018, 09:59:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Tis the season to be jolly.... Apparently.

So what's everyones Christmas plans this season?

On my side I'm planning on 3 weeks of no real life work ( hopefully ). As usual I'll watch some festive fun films while consuming silly amounts of alcohol ( stupid I know, but great fun ). On Christmas Day me and the misses will be heading over to her Mum's for dinner. I say dinner but it's more of a full on mega feast whereby you are about to explode from eating and are then presented with another selection of food which you try to find space for. About two days later you are able to eat normally again :P

I also hope to be able to play some games I've wanted to get into all year like Alien Isolation. I've been wanting to dedicate time to this game for quite a while but one thing or the other always gets in the way. A good festive break is a great excuse to have quality gaming time. If I'm lucky I'll get both playing games and coding time too!

Also I want to take the dogs for a Christmas Day ( or Christmas Eve ) walk in the snow. Still holding out hope for a white Christmas so we'll see how that pans out.

Over to you lot. What's your festive plans and wishes? ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Normally my wife and I (even when we did not have children) switched visiting my parents or her parents on 24th. 25th is birthday of my brother so most of the time he invited himself to my parents (to get rid of having to cook ;-)) but last years he also started a family so ... stuff changed). Ok, so as all parents need to get visited we then visit on 25 or 26th the other parents (...in law). Depends on who we saw on 24th already ;-)

This year it changes a bit 24th my parents and some of my siblings will visit our little family at home - means I am the kitchen chief this day. And this only because we already invited my wifes family for 25th (so her grandmother does not have to cook - yay! Very glad as I did not really enjoy their families meals ;-)). So on 25th I will also be master of desaster aka the one who cooks stuff.

In other words: 24 and 25th are full of "cook for others" + "who wants a beer, a wine, an eggnog...". Ok seriously it also means to already prepare whats possible on 23th of december. 26th will be ... hmm maybe doing nothing but letting my wife watch some christmas movie stuff (the Czech Slovakian movie about "The Sleeping Beauty" was a classic in the former GDR/nower Germany - "Drei Haselnuesse fuer Aschenbroedel" and so it is on TV many times during christmas time).

While our meals are "festive" they are not "feastive" ;-) Means there is enough place left for drinks and so on.

Doing a walk outside is not of our business these days - we are not "religious" (going to a church or so) nor do we have snow most of the christmas' I can remember (when I was young I thought every "christmas is white" but nope... it isn't ;-D). Hmm so my wish this year is - especially for my sons - to have a real white christmas. Think chances are high as we normally have snow during the first december days but it melts away a week before christmas. We did not have snow in this december yet ... hahah.
And forget about the christmas of last year - with 18°C (just watched a video of this days - with my son and me wearing shirts outside ;-)).

Have fun everyone.

plenatus

Well, this year i go on 24th with my son to my parents -> eat, my son get the presents ;)
Then at home santa lost the big presents under our xmas tree.
On 26th i drive with the train to my exwife to bring our son to her.
Till 29th i have child-free ;) time for coding all night long.
On 29th i get my son back together with my daughter....on 30th my son have birthday.
And on the 01th january my daughter go back to my exwife....thats in short..

And yes "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel" is all around in tv ;) .
And i hope so that it snows this year.

For all i wish a white xmas with the family.

MikeHart

Well, this year will be a quite one. I take two weeks off from week cause my wife comes back from a clinic after 5 weeks. So it will be family time and life mostly.

If I get time to spent on the computer, I plan to work on a new release for CX and more so on a new forum and website for it.

Xerra

I get off work on the 21st and don't go back until the 7th January so i've got two weeks of loafing about generally. We're away the next day visiting friends for a major birthday so I expect to be starting the boozing a bit early this year.

Third Xmas with the other half so me and her will visit her parents in the late morning on Xmas day and take the Labrador, Stanley, out for a very long walk around a local Lido. After that her mother will stuff me with a huge Xmas dinner which I will have to try and eat while avoiding Stanley slobbering all over me. After receiving my traditional case of beer from the in-laws, me and the boss will visit my sisters where all my family will be in the afternoon. I'm buying my nephew a Switch this Xmas so looking forward to setting that up for him and having some games on that. Never mind being sociable - pffft :)

After that it's a couple of weeks of loafing about. I expect to be playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2, doing some coding on my framework and a fair bit of gratuitous boozing.

I've not been working that hard this year, compared to most, but that's mostly because I've been settled in the current job for a couple of years now so it becomes a lot easier. Next year I'm hoping to be joining up with a company initially as a support analyst and possibly after venturing into doing some code for a living, so I'll definitely need to be expanding my knowledge before long.

Hope everyone has as good a Xmas as I'm expecting this year.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

ThickO

Plan to fish and hang out at the beach.
3D makes my head hurt...

Steve Elliott

The usual boring Christmas Day crap lol.  If it was up to me, close family would jet out some where warm, have some fun and let somebody good cook!  Failing that, at least get away from the house, tv and eat out.

Family aren't willing to leave their homes, so the Wife and I will go to Mum's where she cooks a meal designed for an 8 year old (in size).  At least I can fill my stomach with some alcohol (which I have to bring).  Then to Wife's parents for lovely food, beer and again watching repeats on tv.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

DaiHard

You mean you aren't all expecting to devote the whole Christmas period to testing out the competition games? I'm disillusioned, now...
;-)
D

MrmediamanX

moving with QUICKNESS, working with SLICKNESS, that's how I'll go about all doing CHRISTMAS. ;D
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Xerra

Quote from: DaiHard on December 10, 2018, 21:24:36
You mean you aren't all expecting to devote the whole Christmas period to testing out the competition games? I'm disillusioned, now...
;-)
D

There's a weeks grace usually after the competition ends to upload bug-fixes only before the judging then actually starts. That means New Years eve onwards to actually place your vote for a week. Plenty of time for people to play through every game and give feedback/vote. I'm slacking for two weeks so I'll be giving all of them a thorough run through.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/