Author Topic: Mars: Inside SpaceX  (Read 950 times)

Offline ThickO

Re: Mars: Inside SpaceX
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
I talked to a engineer that worked for NASA in the 60's, his job was the command  module. This was before polymers and graphite synthetic material. What is truly amazing is the the command module was milled from a single block of aluminum, that was the only way to assure no air leaks.
3D makes my head hurt...

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
... But I do believe that the American's landing a man on the moon was fantasy and a propergander tool to beat the Soviet Union.  It never happened.  We could not do that with today's technology, let alone 60's technology.

- If so, the Russians would have made sooo much noise shouting 'fake news'(they were close observers).
But instead, they were pretty upset they didn't make it there first.

Or.. it's all a conspiracy, big scam:
The earth indeed is flat,  there are aliens ruling us, we're in a simulation or.. well, have your pick.
Big problem with all of those explanations is always: *why?* - The answers almost never make solid sense, don't hold up if you continue thinking ahead.

- Old tech isn't completely 'destroyed'. It hasn't been kept up to date, abandoned and unusable under todays demands for safety and most likely too costly(the 60's/early 70's were a pretty prosperous time to live in, money to spare).

Also mind you Kennedy didn't exactly give them much time too(1 decade to beat the Ruskies) and the rocket was the biggest ever build under Wernher von Braun, who was pretty much ahead of his time.

I've yet too see compelling evidence for this one that cannot be explained otherwise.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
you have to consider that, in the past, some people invented / built new technologies from scratch, with parts often manually made, and some were skilled in different fields, also there was less entertainment, more discipline and focus on work, so i am not surprised that many engineers of today are more "users" and "assemblers" than "inventors" and "creators".

i am personally trying to replicate a few "lost" technologies, and sometimes i have difficulties to understand what some past inventors meant / did and why. and sometimes i search for answers on the web and i find nothing about it (and i am far from a genius...)

and yes, some old technologies were voluntarily destroyed, or at least forgotten (because of lobbies and rules / taxes / obstacles from the state)

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
That might very well be true.

People of today having issues imagining how primitive structures were build. Old but even fairly recently creations, like 100 years ago. So with complex stuff like space tech might indeed be the case.