Started by Henri, November 24, 2018, 18:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Henri

Hi,

saw this documentary on youtube and thought it was inspirational:

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Naughty Alien

..they cant go to the moon, and here is show about mars..i found this sort of things very upsetting actually, especially when 'future' is 'promised' by someone such as Musk...

Steve Elliott

..they cant go to the moon, and here is show about mars.

Yeah he talks about rockets getting worse over time.  In 1969 they went to the moon, and now just lower Earth Orbit.  Hmmm.  Unless they didn't actually go to the moon using 60's technology.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GaborD

My problem with the whole Mars thing is that it's another excuse for not focussing on saving Earth. Not sure the locust approach will work out well for us.
Industrial civilization has maybe 15 years left (I am an optimist) before our crap does us in, would kinda be smarter to start fixing things instead of dreaming about the next planet we can pillage. At the current rate, we won't get that far anyway.

Henri

Lot's of interesting comments. To be honest, I was kind of expecting NA's stance :-)

But,....

in order to make progress you got to start somewhere, and make use of the information provided to us  by smart people in history.

QuoteWe can't go to the moon

Not at the moment. Regardless of if we been there or not. Not at least in a way that is usefull for future missions. Reason for this is obvious: We don't want to just visit there to play Moon ball, but to establish something long term. We can all agree that this haven't been done before, so there are lot of mundane technical issues to deal with (like how to eliminate the harmful effects of moon dust on machinery and humans etc. ) . We have the necessary rockets for heavy payloads in the form of Falcon heavy and this has been tested already.

What Elon has understood is that in order to make this all feasible is the need to bring the cost significantly down, and this is what is in my mind SpaceX's greatest contribution. And it has to be read into Elon's benefit that it's easier to say things then to actually do them. And he has done what he set out to do (in short of actually going into Mars).

Quotehe talks about rockets getting worse over time

For long time rocket business has been in the hands of governments, and governments have budgets, formed of tax payers money, and hence subject to public scrutiny. If money is directed somewhere, it has to come from somewhere else. This is true even in North-Korea (minus the public scrutiny).

With limited funding you have to prioritize and focus on whats important at that time. Near orbital research was the thing in the 80's and 90's (Skylab, Mir, Hubble, Iss etc.). In 2000 > There has been many science based surveys (WMap, the mapping of the universe, Kepler telescope for exoplanets etc.). And now we have seen the rise of the private sector as well, which has been crucial since the public funding for space exploration has slightly been diminishing over the years.

QuoteMy problem with the whole Mars thing is that it's another excuse for not focusing on saving Earth

In my mind these things are not mutually exclusive. Going to Mars is not the solution for Earths problems, and I still have faith in humanity to take the necessary steps to assure that we pass the ball to our next generation in good conscience. First step is always acknowledging that there are problems to begin with. Despite the rhetorics of a certain individual in the US, I believe things are starting to sink in.

As for overpopulation, I've read that the apex is somewhere in 13 billion region, and will stay there assuming that the current trend is stable. Even though birthrate is high in Africa due to poverty and conditions, in China it's actually decreasing. In Finland where I live it's quite low. This is due to a statistical fact that when the living standards rise, the birthrate goes down.

Well, that's all for today :-)

-Henri

Naughty Alien

QuoteNot at the moment. Regardless of if we been there or not. Not at least in a way that is usefull for future missions. Reason for this is obvious: We don't want to just visit there to play Moon ball, but to establish something long term. We can all agree that this haven't been done before, so there are lot of mundane technical issues to deal with (like how to eliminate the harmful effects of moon dust on machinery and humans etc. ) . We have the necessary rockets for heavy payloads in the form of Falcon heavy and this has been tested already.

..what is useful from past is that you have had bunch of blokes went there 6 times, radiation was not an issue, and yet, today they admitting that figuring out this problem(radiation) is critical not just for crew on board, but hardware as well, and they dont know how to sort it out TODAY..of course, one should ask, why not look at work done before and improve on the top of that?? Well, you cant. Why? Because they destroyed it (thats what they say, NASA creeps). There is not a one single blueprint of anything ever used there(moon), which could help engineers today to improve and build stuff which worked 50 years ago, but today is a problem, hence ORION radiation shield, heat shield tests, and so on(thats what they/NASA/ say)..so when you put all this things together, coupled with fraudster such as Elon, it all gets really interesting..and they want to go to Mars..ih..and if you would apply this concept of development on to car industry, we will be driving Ford T's only today, without one single clue, how to build it again..

Steve Elliott

For long time rocket business has been in the hands of governments, and governments have budgets

It's not just about budgets, the Van Allen radiation belt problem has yet to be solved.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Madjack

Quote from: Naughty Alien on November 26, 2018, 01:10:55
QuoteNot at the moment. Regardless of if we been there or not. Not at least in a way that is usefull for future missions. Reason for this is obvious: We don't want to just visit there to play Moon ball, but to establish something long term. We can all agree that this haven't been done before, so there are lot of mundane technical issues to deal with (like how to eliminate the harmful effects of moon dust on machinery and humans etc. ) . We have the necessary rockets for heavy payloads in the form of Falcon heavy and this has been tested already.

..what is useful from past is that you have had bunch of blokes went there 6 times, radiation was not an issue, and yet, today they admitting that figuring out this problem(radiation) is critical not just for crew on board, but hardware as well, and they dont know how to sort it out TODAY..of course, one should ask, why not look at work done before and improve on the top of that?? Well, you cant. Why? Because they destroyed it (thats what they say, NASA creeps). There is not a one single blueprint of anything ever used there(moon), which could help engineers today to improve and build stuff which worked 50 years ago, but today is a problem, hence ORION radiation shield, heat shield tests, and so on(thats what they/NASA/ say)..so when you put all this things together, coupled with fraudster such as Elon, it all gets really interesting..and they want to go to Mars..ih..and if you would apply this concept of development on to car industry, we will be driving Ford T's only today, without one single clue, how to build it again..

I'd forgotten how much of a conspiracy theory enthusiast NA is.  ^-^
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1054183/posts

col

QuoteFor long time rocket business has been in the hands of governments, and governments have budgets, formed of tax payers money, and hence subject to public scrutiny. If money is directed somewhere, it has to come from somewhere else. This is true even in North-Korea (minus the public scrutiny).

With limited funding you have to prioritize and focus on whats important at that time. Near orbital research was the thing in the 80's and 90's (Skylab, Mir, Hubble, Iss etc.). In 2000 > There has been many science based surveys (WMap, the mapping of the universe, Kepler telescope for exoplanets etc.). And now we have seen the rise of the private sector as well, which has been crucial since the public funding for space exploration has slightly been diminishing over the years.

You're on the right track there. Neil Degrasse Tyson sums it all up quite well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YIIaF1qiw#t=22m30s up to just before the 37m00s mark, with an explanation starting at around 31m00s.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Henri

QuoteIt's not just about budgets, the Van Allen radiation belt problem has yet to be solved.

Well, Van Allen belt is a problem, but not one that would prevent us from going beyond it as described in this article https://www.forbes.com/sites/jillianscudder/2017/06/16/astroquizzical-van-allen-belts-barrier-spaceflight/. Earths magnetic field itself is not the issue, but wandering high energy protons and electrons ejected by the Sun that are trapped inside it.

If we want to go to the Moon, then this is a less of a problem, because best way to get there is to go on a relatively straight line, and this limits the exposure. If we want to go beyond that then the time is extended due to need to gather speed by going around the Earth, and then would be exposed longer.

So how to protect from this radiation ? To get some understanding, here is a simplified picture https://www.hko.gov.hk/education/cyber_exh_hall/eng/exhibit04_intro_eng.htm. Remember that Van Allen belt has mostly ionized protons (inner belt) and electrons (outer belt). Also it's worth mentioning that heavier elements would give away x-ray radiation when hit by an electron, so it would not be a good idea to use lead as a protection, for example.

To put this all into perpective, Apollo astronauts were exposed inside the belt approximately 6 hours. During this time they received less radiation, then the rest of the voyage combined. Most exposure was probably due to cosmic radiation (originated from supernova explosions and other long distance phenomena). People are exposed to radiation on Earth too all the time.

And now...

*** RECENT MARS NEWS! ***

Insight-probe just landed successfully on the surface of Mars and sent it's first picture. See more online.

-Henri

Steve Elliott

All this bullshit from some of you, yet the Space Industry has barely progressed since 1969 lol...Sending unmaned probes is not progress...Man has to be on board.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MagosDomina

At the risk of long rant here.... Has anyone else found all the strange anomalies in the footage of the Apollo missions both interesting and spooky?

Specifically I will mention these few as an example:  On the later missions when they are walking on the moon you see the non-pressurized gloves opening on the seams. What about when they are supposedly orbiting the moon and instead they are sitting in the Lem with the lights out? Yet you can see the blue light from low earth orbit washing into the scene. The most compelling to me that we are seeing footage of the simulations missions is when the rover kicks up dust and it falls back down to the surface. Speeding up the footage to normal speed makes it look as it should on earth, on the moon wouldn't have the dust kept going?

I've seen compelling arguments on both sides. Personally I feel we went to the moon but we are not seeing the actual footage of what occurred. Now why is that you ask? Aliens.....

If they wanted to fake it they already had all they needed. people forget they built a full simulator and scale replica of the sea of tranquility to train on. Anything is possible when you have enough money and total control of the media. I'm also very suspicious of the Mars missions, Devon island with a filter looks pretty damn convincing if you ask me.

Naughty Alien

..well..im far from any conspiracy theory guy..actually, i care not for that...what triggers me is when i detect blatant lies and cheats and NASA&gang did it a lot in past...NASA claim that everything regarding Apollo is busted, including telemetry data and what not..literally, everything..then you hear nonsense about Mars..while they spending millions and millions on to figuring out radiation zones around earth (Orion project), to make sure humans are safe...i mean..WTF ??!! Then this baboon came and say this.

..then you see tons of NASA videos from ISS which shows such blatant CGI errors(while show is presented as a real time stream), that one wonder how really deep are going all lies they perpetuating and why..i can tell you one thing for sure, for 50+ mil USD a day, NASA should be doing much much better...just a bunch of liars, tricky liars as they mix lies with truth so its very hard to see trough all crap...

Just look at Curiosity rover sham and team leader and way he explain mission(he explains nothing literally)..and if you crack down data presented by them, about '7 min of terror', you start realizing how bad lie is..

therevills

Quote from: Naughty Alien on November 29, 2018, 01:18:11
..well..im far from any conspiracy theory guy..actually...

..then you see tons of NASA videos from ISS which shows such blatant CGI errors(while show is presented as a real time stream)....

....you start realizing how bad lie is..

WTF?!  ???

Steve Elliott

I'd forgotten how much of a conspiracy theory enthusiast NA is.

There's a lot that doesn't add up here. Some people like to group people that believe the world is flat, in with anybody that believes the American's landed on the moon in the 60's for example.  Ofcourse the World is not flat.  But I do believe that the American's landing a man on the moon was fantasy and a propergander tool to beat the Soviet Union.  It never happened.  We could not do that with today's technology, let alone 60's technology.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb