Finish a videogame, AV and Windows.

Started by Santiago, November 14, 2018, 19:46:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Santiago

Hi, I always knew that finishing a game is 99% of the work, but I did not think it was so hard work!

I made a video game in Blitz3D
use libraries, fastextend, fastimage, and I have many b3d objects, 25000 lines of code, some textures, and few sounds.

300 mb of game

At first I used Molebox to secure my files, which resulted in a problem in modern windows.

for what happens to the Enigma Virtual box. to protect my objects, textures and images that I do not want to be changed.

to generate the installer, use the program called Inno setup Compiler 5.2.3.

Once I managed to compile and build the installer, I uploaded it to a server in amazon S3.

All perfect.

Problems...

The 1st person who downloaded it, had problems with AVAST, which surely blocked access to the file, to which Windows exclaimed when executing it "Windows does not have access to the device, path or file specified, it may not have adequate permissions. .. "

I suppose this problem is because of the temporary blocking that the antivirus does not?

my doubts are, at the time of finishing a game to sell it to the public. Is something missing?
Can I sign the file digitally?
How do I become friends with antivirus?

In some computers I have a Memory Acesss violation occasionally, but in others the game works perfect, regardless if it is w7 or w10.

What else can I do so that my game does not have problems to install it and then run it on any windows with any antivirus?

in my computers with w7 I do not have MAVS, nor problems with antivirus.

regards!
Santiago.

Santiago

another question, the .dll files, i pack in the .exe with enigma, is correct that?

or should I leave the .dll files loose in the same directory of the exe, without packaging?

markcwm

I'm no expert but it sounds like a "false positive" and it seems you've to send it to AVAST for them to fix it - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28890.0

It should also happen with you though, what OS does the user have?

About dlls I would leave them loose, but if it works it works.

markcwm

Santiago

Thanks Mark!

the user have windows 7, and avast, i use windwos 7 and avg, now i install Avast to make some test.

Santiago

RemiD

some detections as malware may be caused by FastExt, because it is a system which sometimes hack in memory...

it is not a good idea ( compatibility wise ) to use FastExt nowadays...

the problem with "adequate permissions" may be caused if the user has limited "rights" ( not admin "rights" ) and your game write / read files which are in paths not considered safe.
for example, since Windows XP, you have to write / read config files / save files in the USER paths, not in the path of the game. Windows XP may tolerate it, but with Windows 7, 8 , 10, it may cause problems with some computers / accounts.

a workaround is to tell the players of your game to put it in a custom directory like c:/games/ ( gog.com does that )

Santiago

thanks RemiD !, as is, in the installer I had to put as main directory c: \ games \ Naval Simulator

because he had access problems in "programs files \"

I regret to hear that FASTEXT gives problems, I use mainly the reflection of the water, more general visual effects, the sun, underwater and other things.

If I continue giving problems I will see the way to replace it although I see it difficult.

thanks for the information !, until a few moments ago I had never thought that fastext can cause conflicts, and that can be the answer to many problems.

Thank you!

RemiD

@santiago>>i have a few code examples on how to do water reflections, purely with Blitz3d, that i have accumulated over the years... if you want i can post an archive (zip)

Santiago

Excelent!, thanks RemiD.

It would be great, I have some that I was accumulating from the blitz community, but I always use Fastext without knowing that I could get to give problems.

since it would be very helpful to see what options there are to choose the most optimal.

since yesterday my mind is finding solutions to replace fastext, and if I solve reflexes that is the most crucial, it would be a solid option.

thanks for the help !, it is accepted!

Santiago

Thanks again!
I liked the first water that I tried!

I wonder what is the correct way to thank the author, to use a code from another person, I add it in the list of acknowledgments? clarifying that his code was used, no? would that be the right thing?

RemiD

these codes examples were free to download / read on the blitzbasic forum, the idea was to demonstrate different methods to have reflections on water...
But you can of course thanks the author in the credits...