[need] Latest Nuclear Basic

Started by plenatus, November 12, 2018, 16:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Madjack

No - or at least not in later versions.
Or perhaps you were thinking of Nuclear Fusion?

Quote from: Steve Elliott on November 14, 2018, 22:07:21
I thought Nuclear BASIC had DRM which meant the server had to be asked if you owned a legal copy?  The server is now dead.

Naughty Alien

..NF never ask for such thing either..but i wouldnt be surprised if people enter competition with NB..thing is a small monster..

Steve Elliott

..NF never ask for such thing either.

It did it in the background on start-up (no user interaction was required).

Well the copy of NB that NA supplied doesn't work.  It will compile - and nothing.  Running the exe and that exe then dissapears.  Weird.

NB..thing is a small monster.

I used NF more, but I really liked NB when I bought it.  Far better than AGK.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..hmm..i havent check that (NF)..is that mean its..bricked??

EDIT:
NF and NB compile/run just fine here..

Steve Elliott

I'm re-downloading again...Nope.

Does NB have a problem with Win10?
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

plenatus

I have only Win10 Systems and here NB runs fine.
In dx9 and in dx11 mode too.

But now i remember that a big part of the help docs are empty....well dx11...thats that what i want...
I will test a little bit.

Steve Elliott

Solved the problem.  It's my Virus checker's realtime scanning (McAvee).  I can either disable that feature or make certain files exempt.

Thanks again NA.  I wish I'd kept my old code though - I just have a couple of NF projects in C++/NF.

Boy this takes me back - exciting times.  NB/NF had such potential.  A very nice frame rate on my 3D Grid Runner Game (3098 FPS)  :D

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Madjack

Just a heads up that having completed a major game with NB, I know of a few fish hooks with the language.

Built in shadows are stencil and mostly broken so you'd have to roll your own for something better.
NB's ability to use shaders could help here but due to the Tron art style, I can get away with static bitmap shadows for TU2.

The 3d sound commands aren't up to snuff.
There's no in-built doppler effect and from memory, playback has noticeable pop/crackle.
Got around this by using Fmod and calculating doppler in-code.

Next issue is more serious; vanilla LoadAnimEnt (which is NB's equivalent to LoadAnimB3d) has a memory leak.
This seems to be related to textures not being cleared from memory.

I came across this when switching levels and deleting all ents and then following that up with KillAllEnts() and KillAllMeshes().
GetTextureCount() was reporting textures from ents loaded using LoadAnimEnt as not being cleared and I was unable to do so.

Interestingly, using LoadAnimEnt("filename",parent,flag = 1) will load the animated ent and see its associated textures cleared when the above commands are called (don't know what the 'flag = 1' actually does).
Downside is that mesh animations kill framerates when loaded with the flag = 1.

Luckily for me TU2 uses very few mesh animations as it mostly features vehicles.
So most ents are loaded using LoadAnimEnt(...flag = 1) and turret/wheels/etc.. anims are done in-code.

For those few ents that do have mesh anims (such as behemoths), although the initial ent will have to be loaded with vanilla LoadAnimEnt(...flag = 0), I can add additional anims using LoadAnimEnt(...flag = 1) + AddEntTrack and not see a slowdown in playback framerates.

Secondly I can use CopyEnt or CopyMesh on the original ent to spawn extra copies as needed.

This means that for the levels that have a behemoth or titan, there will be a couple of textures not cleared between levels, but it can be minimized.

One thing I haven't tried is loading an animated ent (without textures) and then manually texturing it.

plenatus

We all know that if have some bugs.
But a memory leak isn´t good.
Well, when you test it with manually loading the textures i will see what happens.
I plan some animated models and at last it could be a big memory hole.

Madjack

I just tested it with loading an animated mesh but without textures and then manually texturing it in code.
That seemed to work with regards to the texture being properly cleared between levels, so that seems like possible work-around.

plenatus

Thanks for testing.
And if its not animated loaded then this problems not happen?
Most of models will be static.

Madjack

LoadEnt seems to be fine.

What are you planning to do with NB?
I'd love to be able to recommend it as an option, but at the end of the day it's no longer supported and hasn't been made open-source.

GaborD

There is also a mem leak when using arrays in types if I remember correctly.

The main issue for me is that the forum is gone, so we can't look up info easily anymore or ask specific questions. That makes it somewhat risky to use NB for a bigger project. If you get stuck on some language issue... you are stuck  :P

Naughty Alien

@ Gabor

Have you received NF source?? Im allowed to have it but unfortunately i never got copy..i do remember that someone got it..not sure who or is that person present here..

plenatus

I had a NF lic some years ago. But i don´t save a copy.
But i know who have the complete source.
Aaron was it....i asked him last night...he have it, but he wrote he is not allowed to provide the source.
He´right but its really bad....

@madjack.A little 3D Jump and run that i started some years ago.