[WIP] A nightmare on Christmas Eve ( provisional title ) - game comp Nov 2018

Started by Qube, November 11, 2018, 03:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Quote from: Qube on November 12, 2018, 09:23:51
What was the anim system like in Godot?

Is "Lol" an accepted answer?

I tried to use everything Blender provided. There might be some armature-code in there - but the "godot blender exporter" claimed to be able to handle this stuff already. So I just rigged and animated in Blender and exported this to Godot. In Godot this then means the animation player contains animations which move the bones according to the rotation/movement defined in the animation. Together with weightmaps the bones then move the vertices of the model. Pretty standard I think.
There is - imho - no "transition" helper like the mecanim approach Unity provides.

Godot claims to be "3.x" but I tried a simple 3D scene yesterday (to check if it _could_ get used for a 2D-in-3D adventure thing but... as I presumed already... it borked up here and there).

This is a blender scene (walls upped a bit as I assumed it is a bug because of a "closed" block leading to broken lightmap baking or so):

And this is how Godot imports it:

no roof/upper wall (but therefor 2 pairs of boots - one without material), no "lamp shade" next to the wardrobe. And yes - if I export again it updates the assets and sometimes the roof etc are there - sometimes it needs scene closing, original export opening and "instancing" and if that was ok, the newly opened scene contains the updated asset.
I expect I am not the only one put off by this.
Of course it is a mixture of "Godot issue" and "Godot blender exporter issue" but arggghhh.

For an adventure game asset creation is most time consuming (especially if you skip "walking around" player characters or NPCs - so more of a "hidden objects game"). But if one of the first things here is getting annoyed by bugs or odd "global illumination" (shadows at the corners - except on the straight line of the border, this one gets unlid...woah!).
In Unity it seems to look way more "smooth". Never thought that such things can create such big hassles (for _me_).

Edit: just fyi - the "red boots" are named "roof" in the node tree of Godot :)

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteIs "Lol" an accepted answer?
If it fits :P

Hmm, I see you experienced a similar situation to me. Unity lists Cheetah3D as part of it's "Work flow", super lol's, no it isn't. I can not export a JAS ( Cheetah3D file ) with textures into Unity directly. I have to export the model in DAE or FBX format first, so that side is complete bollocks.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

That blender exporter claims to be "Godot Engine's native Blender exporter add-on". I am sure that a "dae" export will do too - but I tried to have it as straightforward as possible - doing all the grunt work in Blender and just importing a whole "room" into Godot then. Means all collectable objects would be in the scene already, no laying out objects in Godot or so - just having simple get_node("Boots").visibility = false to hide a collected item from the scene.

Using the 2D approach (eg. BlitzMax or so) would of course look better but need a huge bit of work asset wise (render all needed combinations of collected-or-not items on the background for proper shading/shadows). 3D just updates accordingly and voila...done (at least in my imagination).

Facing such simple issues as above just cries to me: stop, do not continue trying to create this adventure. And just yet I got 2 weeks (or maybe more) to write a scientific thesis thing.

bye
Ron