What 3D Engine are people using now?

Started by Amon, November 10, 2018, 07:19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

@ Ron

Im sure it can be scalled down..i was literally following tutorial which i have completed so i understand workflow...scripts given are from mentioned tutorial and probably could be done on easier way, so im showing only what is presented to me..

..Im messing with Unity and i start to like damn thing..all stuff i have in 3dsmax i have created before, loads perfectly (minus materials, but thats ok)...scripting isvery straightforward and i have picked it up in no time...we shall see... :)

..recovered from a dust of time directly from 3dsmax..love this..

Naughty Alien

..i have managed to convert some of my ancient b3d files back to FBX/DAE, thanks to this online conversion utility (http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/), and then imported to Unity with no issues at all. I have even managed to write my very first script (Fly Cam) which worked out of box and perfectly smooth...quite nice...here is conversion of my ancient level now brought back..now many more to go but its not a trouble..interesting..  ;D

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

We lost another one to the dark side  ;D

plenatus

Like i said, horrible.
But it is only a qurestion of time till he come back....nothing is better then pure coding ;)

Steve Elliott

We lost another one to the dark side  ;D

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

He's just dipped his toe into the murky pond of Unity, he'll pull it back out again soon to revert to the comfort of B3d.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

LT

Late to the party, but...

I've been coding my own (OpenGL) engine for quite some time.  My original plan was to commercialize it, but Unity and Unreal have made that unlikely at this point.  I'm currently making a puzzle/programming game with it that I hope to finish and publish next year.

plenatus

and now we would see something about your own engine ;)
right now I'm thinking about to make my own (2D-)engine too....but that takes so much time(and i have to be much better with c++ first)

LT

https://www.youtube.com/user/martianthinker

I posted some of this before on the old Blitz Research website, but here's my youtube link.  The game video is a show of progress meant more for me than for public consumption.  The engine demos are all quite old, as you can see from the time stamps.

Qube

@LT - Looters Logic looks really nice, I like the look of that one.

QuoteI've been coding my own (OpenGL) engine for quite some time.  My original plan was to commercialize it, but Unity and Unreal have made that unlikely at this point.
I wouldn't worry about that. A good product done well stands a good chance of finding it's own market. Don't forget that there are a whole load of developers out there that wouldn't touch Unreal or Unity with a barge pole. Give it a good shot as you never know until you try :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

LT

Quote from: Qube on November 16, 2018, 02:40:08
@LT - Looters Logic looks really nice, I like the look of that one.
Thanks.  Lots of work still to do, but it's coming along.

Quote from: Qube on November 16, 2018, 02:40:08
A good product done well stands a good chance of finding its own market. Don't forget that there are a whole load of developers out there that wouldn't touch Unreal or Unity with a barge pole. Give it a good shot as you never know until you try :)
I appreciate the suggestion.  There's a lot involved in marketing and business and meeting customer expectations that isn't worth doing for a few measly dollars and that's what I would expect in a world that has free(ish) Unity and Unreal.  The nice thing about using it for my own games is that I only have to put in features I need.  I've already spent too much time anticipating things that customers might want, but I know I'll never use.  Import/export, for example.

If I don't turn it into a commercial product, I'll most likely open source it and then other people can extend it.  How soon I do that will depend on how well my games do.  I'm using them to improve the engine, but I need the games to be at least moderately successful so I can keep doing this and not go back to working for some big game company.  Freedom, baby!  ;)

Amanda Dearheart

@Amon,

That's part of the problem!  They all click with me. Some more than others, but all are fine.  There are points each one has that I like. (Too numerous to list here though).

As for Blitz3d, I use Protean as my IDE.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!