What 3D Engine are people using now?

Started by Amon, November 10, 2018, 07:19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

for those using blitz3d: which IDE are you guys using or are you using the stock IDE that comes with Blitz3D
yes i use the default Blitz3d IDE, there are a few tricks to know to determine where a error most likely is, but it is good enough for me...

STEVIE G

Quote from: 3DzForMe on November 11, 2018, 10:10:28
Used a couple over the last decade, Protean until I found IDEal, IDEal has loads of functionality, a great IDE, highly recommend it  8)

IDEal is a must for me too as the original IDE is pretty poor functionality wise.  I've also heard in the past of people having issues with the original IDE when the code gets beyond 10,000 lines.

Alain

Regarding Blitz3D on modern hardware, be aware of 2 serious limitations:

• Blitz requires a mouse to be connected to start (does not start on Microsoft Surface for instance.)
  • Cannot display on a resolution higher than 2000xsomething ... It is a real problem nowaday with screen resolution regularly larger than 1920x1200

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GrindalfGames

Quote from: Alain on November 11, 2018, 15:51:05
Regarding Blitz3D on modern hardware, be aware of 2 serious limitations:

• Blitz requires a mouse to be connected to start (does not start on Microsoft Surface for instance.)
  • Cannot display on a resolution higher than 2000xsomething ... It is a real problem nowaday with screen resolution regularly larger than 1920x1200

I was not aware of the mouse issue. I will go test that now on my Linx Vision

As for the IDE I tried IDEal for a while but went back to the default editor after a while. I just prefer it

EDIT:Tested on my Linx Vision and blitz apps run fine(I couldn't play anything because I had no mouse or keyboard connected) but the programs ran ok

Santiago

3DzForMe

If Blitz3D is running in Windowed mode, you can maximize the window to fill the screen I believe.... Although the maximum resolution within the window may be 1920 X 1200.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

plenatus

Anyone should take the bb3d source and expand it with dx11/dx12 support. ;)

Santiago

Quote from: c0d3r9 on November 11, 2018, 19:08:16
Anyone should take the bb3d source and expand it with dx11/dx12 support. ;)

Shaders!!!!! in blitz!!! and i will be happy forever!

GaborD

After a lot of testing and searching over the years, I settled on AGK. It's performant, keeps the oldschool ease of use and Blitz style programming approach while allowing for shenanigans.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Coder Apprentice

Quote from: Naughty Alien on November 10, 2018, 12:55:56
..im lurking in a limbo, searching for something which offers complete physics/networking solution, but its not Unity-like system..orbiting around Urho, while looking over other things :)

Naughty! I thought AGK became sort of the new Blitz3D for you too. You seemed to be satisfied with it for a while. Any particular reason why it's not the "real thing" for you?

When Xaron first mentioned it in 2017 I also bought it and it seems very nice. Didn't dive into it full force yet though...

Naughty Alien

..yes, it is correct what you have said..but physics implemented is very basic and incomplete, this is the only thing stopping me from full commitment, even i do use it actually, yes..

Qube

Quote from: GaborD on November 11, 2018, 21:15:29
After a lot of testing and searching over the years, I settled on AGK. It's performant, keeps the oldschool ease of use and Blitz style programming approach while allowing for shenanigans.
Nice nice nice ;D - I think you should create a shader package and sell it for others to use. Your talent is wasted on just creating scenes alone :o

Quote from: Naughty Alien on November 12, 2018, 02:06:37
..yes, it is correct what you have said..but physics implemented is very basic and incomplete, this is the only thing stopping me from full commitment, even i do use it actually, yes..
That is a downside of AGK, as much as I love it many of the features are half arsed implemented. Physics, 3D and 2D Spline as examples all just have the the basics followed by a "that'll do" mentality. It can be a nightmare getting a 3D model with textures and animation working with AGK as it's so specific as what it accepts. Also there are no clear instructions of what it does accept. The docs mention FBX but so much of that side is missing, for example it doesn't import FBX's included textures. This is certainly an area that needs some serious work and one that would boost AGK.

Don't get me wrong, I really like AGK but it needs completion of some of the features it offers. It would make it a much more pro package.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

Quote from: Qube on November 12, 2018, 04:03:48
Quote from: GaborD on November 11, 2018, 21:15:29
Nice nice nice ;D - I think you should create a shader package and sell it for others to use. Your talent is wasted on just creating scenes alone :o

Quote from: Naughty Alien on November 12, 2018, 02:06:37
That is a downside of AGK, as much as I love it many of the features are half arsed implemented. Physics, 3D and 2D Spline as examples all just have the the basics followed by a "that'll do" mentality. It can be a nightmare getting a 3D model with textures and animation working with AGK as it's so specific as what it accepts. Also there are no clear instructions of what it does accept. The docs mention FBX but so much of that side is missing, for example it doesn't import FBX's included textures. This is certainly an area that needs some serious work and one that would boost AGK.

Don't get me wrong, I really like AGK but it needs completion of some of the features it offers. It would make it a much more pro package.

..100% agree..for instance, i still cant get lightmapped objects in to AGK..i have had some success, and then, some other 3D models i have lightmapped on same way, just doesnt work, even i did follow exact instructions..this makes me very nervous over such things which should work by default...then to add in to confusion more, only working example of lightmaps supplied by AGK is done by use of OBJ file format which actually cant support 2 UV map channels, while FBX and B3D which does by default, doesnt work at all..so i just dropped it for a while, even i do update it on regular basis...