What 3D Engine are people using now?

Started by Amon, November 10, 2018, 07:19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Amon

So, what 3d engine are you guys using now?

GrindalfGames

Amon

Quote from: grindalf on November 10, 2018, 08:43:40
Im still using Blitz3D ;)

:)

Does it work on windows 10? When you compile to .exe does it crash on windows 10 or suffer any unexplained crashes?

STEVIE G

Quote from: Amon. on November 10, 2018, 09:27:52

Does it work on windows 10? When you compile to .exe does it crash on windows 10 or suffer any unexplained crashes?

Blitz3d for me too.  Getting too old to start something new.  Only minor issue is that on first use, win10 asks for directplay install but if you include the dplayx.dll in the exe directory it works just fine.  There is also a version with dplay stuff ripped out.

Steve Elliott

win10 asks for directplay install but if you include the dplayx.dll in the exe directory it works just fine.

In case anybody asks, if you look at Stevie's competition entries you also get that dll with the download.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

Blitz3d ! 8)
When i started to code games (for Windows) around 8-9 years ago, i have read several posts on the blitzbasic forum, about how it was going to cause compatibiliy problems in the near future and how this or this engine was more future proof.
Well look at some of us these days, still coding in blitzbasic and running the games / tools on recent versions of Windows OS. (and many of the future proof engines have disappeared), not so bad in term of compatibility...

Naughty Alien

..im lurking in a limbo, searching for something which offers complete physics/networking solution, but its not Unity-like system..orbiting around Urho, while looking over other things :)

Qube

After Blitz3D I moved on to GLBasic and when that became broke in many areas I moved on to AGK. In the last few months I've been dabbling with Unity.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Amon

We're all lost in the wilderness.

******QUEUE - ARRIVAL OF OPTIMUS PRIME MUSIC FROM 1ST TRANSFORMERS MOVIE*******

After many of the blitz languages were retired,

We were scattered across the Interweb. Some made it, others didn't.

In our ever growing fight against the tyranny of those that abandoned programming languages,

We found Qube. And SyntaxBomb. Our new home. To all blitzers, if you are out there.

WE ARE HERE. Waiting.

RemiD

Bobysait was working on a 3d engine for Blitzmax, with Blitz3d-like functions names, and what he showed was quite impressive, but not sure what he is doing now, and if he still works on it...

Blitzbasic / Blitz3d is good enough for my hobby experiments / creations anyway !

GrindalfGames

Quote from: Amon. on November 10, 2018, 09:27:52

Works fine. I've run the exes across 5 different win 10 computers that I have in my household and like STEVIE G says as long as dxplay.dll is in the same folder as the exe there are no problems

3DzForMe

I'm still using Blitz 3D, just created another demo trial on gpsrunner.co.uk, imports and compares tcx files (GPS) ,that's if I included directplay !
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Amanda Dearheart

I use:

Blitz3d
Cerberus - X

Torque (version 1.4) and T3D
Unity
3D Gamestudio
Lumberyard  (learning)

perhaps thats why its taking me so long to get something done!
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Amon

Quote from: bsisko on November 11, 2018, 00:42:38
I use:

Blitz3d
Cerberus - X

Torque (version 1.4) and T3D
Unity
3D Gamestudio
Lumberyard  (learning)

perhaps thats why its taking me so long to get something done!

lol, yeah but atleast you're experimenting with other engines. You never know, you may just find the one that clicks with you.

[edit]

for those using blitz3d: which IDE are you guys using or are you using the stock IDE that comes with Blitz3D.

3DzForMe

Used a couple over the last decade, Protean until I found IDEal, IDEal has loads of functionality, a great IDE, highly recommend it  8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1