June 18, 2019, 08:50:20 AM

Author Topic: What 3D Engine are people using now?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Derron

Re: What 3D Engine are people using now?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
gdscript (Godot):
Code: [Select]
extends Spatial

func _physics_process(delta):
self.rotation_degrees += Vector3(0, 10.0f*delta, 0)

I am pretty sure it can get cut down to a similar thing in Lumberyard too. The biggest problem is the "component/entity"-approach they use in all these tools. Separation of concerns as much as possible (A does not know B, B does not know A, it is C who connects events from B to A and vice versa). Especially if you are used to code in "single files" or often used "includes" rather "imports" (BMax) then you will need to think twice or end up with "might work if I do not change something" code.

bye
Ron

Offline Naughty Alien

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
@ Ron

Im sure it can be scalled down..i was literally following tutorial which i have completed so i understand workflow...scripts given are from mentioned tutorial and probably could be done on easier way, so im showing only what is presented to me..

..Im messing with Unity and i start to like damn thing..all stuff i have in 3dsmax i have created before, loads perfectly (minus materials, but thats ok)...scripting isvery straightforward and i have picked it up in no time...we shall see... :)

..recovered from a dust of time directly from 3dsmax..love this..

Offline Naughty Alien

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2018, 02:42:59 AM »
..i have managed to convert some of my ancient b3d files back to FBX/DAE, thanks to this online conversion utility (http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/), and then imported to Unity with no issues at all. I have even managed to write my very first script (Fly Cam) which worked out of box and perfectly smooth...quite nice...here is conversion of my ancient level now brought back..now many more to go but its not a trouble..interesting..  ;D

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2018, 08:14:40 AM »
You're practically flying now ;D
Until the next time...

Offline GaborD

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
We lost another one to the dark side  ;D

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
Like i said, horrible.
But it is only a qurestion of time till he come back....nothing is better then pure coding ;)

Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
We lost another one to the dark side  ;D

Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline Naughty Alien

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
...looool... :D

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
 ;D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
He's just dipped his toe into the murky pond of Unity, he'll pull it back out again soon to revert to the comfort of B3d. 😎

Offline LT

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Late to the party, but...

I've been coding my own (OpenGL) engine for quite some time.  My original plan was to commercialize it, but Unity and Unreal have made that unlikely at this point.  I'm currently making a puzzle/programming game with it that I hope to finish and publish next year.

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
and now we would see something about your own engine ;)
right now I'm thinking about to make my own (2D-)engine too....but that takes so much time(and i have to be much better with c++ first)
Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD

Offline LT

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2018, 11:48:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/martianthinker

I posted some of this before on the old Blitz Research website, but here's my youtube link.  The game video is a show of progress meant more for me than for public consumption.  The engine demos are all quite old, as you can see from the time stamps.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2018, 02:40:08 AM »
@LT - Looters Logic looks really nice, I like the look of that one.

I've been coding my own (OpenGL) engine for quite some time.  My original plan was to commercialize it, but Unity and Unreal have made that unlikely at this point.
I wouldn't worry about that. A good product done well stands a good chance of finding it's own market. Don't forget that there are a whole load of developers out there that wouldn't touch Unreal or Unity with a barge pole. Give it a good shot as you never know until you try :)
Until the next time...

Offline LT

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »
@LT - Looters Logic looks really nice, I like the look of that one.
Thanks.  Lots of work still to do, but it's coming along.

A good product done well stands a good chance of finding its own market. Don't forget that there are a whole load of developers out there that wouldn't touch Unreal or Unity with a barge pole. Give it a good shot as you never know until you try :)
I appreciate the suggestion.  There's a lot involved in marketing and business and meeting customer expectations that isn't worth doing for a few measly dollars and that's what I would expect in a world that has free(ish) Unity and Unreal.  The nice thing about using it for my own games is that I only have to put in features I need.  I've already spent too much time anticipating things that customers might want, but I know I'll never use.  Import/export, for example.

If I don't turn it into a commercial product, I'll most likely open source it and then other people can extend it.  How soon I do that will depend on how well my games do.  I'm using them to improve the engine, but I need the games to be at least moderately successful so I can keep doing this and not go back to working for some big game company.  Freedom, baby!  ;)