Cloning or Copying my C: Drive?

Started by Amon, September 01, 2019, 09:24:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Amon

Hey guys,
I'm upgrading my laptops drive next week. It's only a 120gb ssd nvme. The problem I have is how to get all the stuff off of this one and onto the new one as this drive has the recovery partition also.

Ideally I'd like to somehow clone the entire disk and restore it to the new drive.

Google brings up lots of software that deals with backups but I'm not sure what I need to get.

Has anyone here got any recommendations?

Pfaber11

Wintousb is what I used to clone my harddrive although I personally think a fresh install is much more stable. wintousb is free and cloning is easy. I have an external usb caddy for my second hard drive and it works well . got the caddy and drive off ebay for 15 quid including postage . That was a year ago and they are still working . Have a nice morning.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

TomToad

Usually new drives come with copy software.  When I bought my new SSD a couple years back, the software that came with it had no problems cloning the drive, including the recovery partition.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

TomToad

Also, you could just install the new drive, but keep the old one in place for system.  If you don't need your DVD drive, you can just swap it out for the HDD.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Amon

Thanks for the info guys. I did a lot of googling and finally settled on this. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
It cloned the nvme to the data drive perfectly.