Bah, Humbug! Code a game comp 7 - November 4th 2018 to December 23rd 2018

Started by Xerra, November 05, 2018, 23:38:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

Bedroom has now been changed to more reflect a teenage boys room. Probably should be a bit messier but at least it's a lot more Xmas-themed now. Oh, and the Coke machine got taken away and we all now drink generic-cola. Not that I'm worried about being sued by Coke for freely advertising their product :)

Also Attic is almost done now. The old picture in the background needs to be an elderly gentleman but the rest works just fine. No Xmas decorations up here as they're all around the house ... obviously !!
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GaborD

Looks great!
Reminds me of the old adventure games I used to love so much. Looking forward to it!

Steve Elliott

Reminds me of the old adventure games I used to love so much. Looking forward to it!

Me too.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Using bought media? Wow, the game's practically made for you! - This is the attitude that Unity users get :P

Love your artists style, especially the volumetric lighting in the attic scene. Nice and subtle but adds so much.

If I were to go into Derron mode ( just jesting ) then I'd say the attic needs to look a little more dirty, dank and unused. Petty stuff as I really like that scene but an attic to me always is a dark place full of spiders and old abandoned stuff.

The replacement cola machine texture is not too good and looks like a photoshop botch job, sorry ;D but the rest of the scene is nicely done yet that replacement part looks wrong. I'd get your artist to fix that as you can see white bits / fringing on the textures edges.

Overall I'd congratulate your artist on the work they've done considering they're not charging a premium. They've a really nice atmosphere to them, so well done on that side :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

I think using Unity automatically pulls you to the dark side. You lose all control and are forced to do evil things.

Steve Elliott

Wow, the game's practically made for you! - This is the attitude that Unity users get :P

Maybe Qube should change the SyntaxBomb tagline to 'They mostly click menus at night...Mostly.  Hehe  ;D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Someone asked for Derron mode? Really? Here it comes:

The more special a part of an image looks, the closer people will look. For the bed-room I just had a whirl on what images were "photoshopped together" here - and as a weath is hard to "reverse find" on the internet, the image right above the bed ... can be found on various "Asian poster shops" (so most often unlicenced... I assume so at least). But with the images there (un-skewed/distored) I have run a little tineye.com search - not resulting in the original info yet, but I somewhen ended on a page describing who originally painted that image.

Patrice Murciano
With that info you can visit his website and there you skip right through the portfolio:
http://patricemurciano.com/en/muses/

So ... I do not know about copyrights in your country - but at least the original creator should get asked for permission first. If you now think this is "nitpicking" - create contracts with your artists to avoid becoming liable for copyright infringment in assets you bought from a 3rd party (or let the assets get created for you by a 3rd party).
Why? Of course your artist might have already asked the original creator and got permission - or he bought some licence or so. This is then of course legal and nothing to worry about. But to make sure you always should put such stuff into a contract. If someone really persued you to sue you at the end, it is always good to have a postal contact address to your asset producers (and you would need a lawyer in their country to have your rights "claimed" - aka ask for the money someone else was asking you in first instance).
While your country might allow for such "creative use" of 3rd party stuff it might not be allowed in other countries and depending on the way on how you "distribute" stuff then, you might end up uploading it to a website located in a country in which this "creative use-law" is not existing.

I do not want to put you off, or to teach you - I just want to ensure that the original author was asked (or the licence of the image allows a usage like a "collage" in an game background image) - and to help you not to run into trouble.

And yes, I understand that painting a "background painting" looks like it takes time better spend on other things but hey - he could have put some "PD/CC0"-images there (even if you cannot be sure if they are really CC0'd by the original authors or just some reuploaders).

@ attic
Yes, I would also like some "toonish spider web" - it does not have to look "frightening", it should look "unused" (as Qube very well described).
I would also have a look if the shadows of the boxes fit to the boxes and do not end earlier than the box :-)
Once the shadows of the boxes are corrected, you can have a look at the brick on the right - and wonder why the brick does not have a shadow (at least not as tall as the one box - which seems to have a magic shadow). Think your artist just encountered the trickyness of creating shadows out of 2D assets (with 3d you do not get all these nice details and soft gradients but at least the shadows look as they should). Maybe have less harsh and "distinctable" shadows to not make errors so much apparent.

Aside of this critics: nice collage of stuff and surely a lot of time was spent in creating it - it is surely some output not everybody is capable of doing - yet there is stuff left for improvement. Keep us informed about the next incoming assets.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteMaybe Qube should change the SyntaxBomb tagline to 'They mostly click menus at night...Mostly.  Hehe  ;D
LOL! fantastic, I like that :P

@Derron, I'm just having a laugh. I think you've been here long enough to know me and know I mean no harm at all. I enjoy your insights into things and I think every forum should have a Derron. Seriously, please keep giving your input as a lot of it highly valuable.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

I didn't feel harmed - everything is good. Just hope that Xerra is not upset about what I wrote - think he puts a lot of efforts into the competition and it is surely worth to get played at the end.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Maybe Qube should change the SyntaxBomb tagline to 'They mostly click menus at night...Mostly.  Hehe  ;D

LOL! fantastic, I like that  :P

;)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

The edge of that Cola machine is a good spot. Never noticed that. I've asked the artist to clean it up now. Thanks Derron.

Derron, can you give me a link to where you saw the proper design which is in that picture over the bed? I want to have a look at it and get it changed if there's a risk-element there.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

See the link I gave you - scroll a bit down, it is one of the images.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteThe edge of that Cola machine is a good spot. Never noticed that. I've asked the artist to clean it up now. Thanks Derron.
Ahem, 'twas me that spotted that :P

Until the next time.

Derron

Qube

Until the next time.