Amazing Dave : My first Gamemaker project - Alpha

Started by Amon, November 02, 2018, 19:23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Amon

You can play it in your browser here: https://amon.pro/adave/

Let me know what you guys think. It's early stages yet and I'm just trying to get all the traps, collectables, enemies ect working properly. It's a 4 stage demo. Space to jump, left/right arrow keys on keyboard to move dave.

Steve Elliott

I think this game has potential.  On the right lines I think - keep progressing.  Cute graphics and challenging gameplay.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Amon

Quote from: Steve Elliott on November 02, 2018, 19:40:12
I think this game has potential.  On the right lines I think - keep progressing.  Cute graphics and challenging gameplay.

Thanks, Steve. I've switched over completely to GameMaker Studio 2. It's taken a bit to get to know the GameMaker way of doing things but I'm loving it so far.

Steve Elliott

Thanks, Steve. I've switched over completely to GameMaker Studio 2. It's taken a bit to get to know the GameMaker way of doing things but I'm loving it so far.

No probs.  Yes I'm all for choosing a Language/System that works for you.  I really can't be doing with a Language that starts with 'OOP extends' before you've even written a line of game code.  Too much.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

It's quite neat. I'm terrible at it. But it's quite. I like the sounds. And the little funny looking creatures.

Qube

Cool, I like it :) - I'm terrible at it but it's got a nice classic platform feel to it :D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

Very nice Amon - nice and smooth - kind of reminds me of Jet Set Willy kind of look too.

Small suggestion is when jumping up reduce the collision detection as I couldnt jump up between two bricks.

How do you find Gamemaker to code with?

Qube

Played it some more and bloody hell is it a hard game :P - But I like that though as is very playable and frustrating at the same time.

I can get to stage 3 but that level is not forgiving at all :o

I know it's in alpha stage and you've still loads to do but things I'd like to see in future releases...

1.. I think it needs some background music.
2.. As therevills points out, jumping between two bricks is a little awkward.
3.. Super nit pick but the rotation of the spinning axe things wobbles a little. Silly to point out but it stood out a little for some odd reason.
4.. The jump sound shouldn't play if the player can't actually jump.
5.. Not sure what the stars and easter egg type things do?

This is all very picky stuff as the game is in alpha but I like it, it has a charm about it and I look forward to seeing it's progress.

Would it be a big hassle to provide native builds ( even Windows alone ) for further game play tests? Or add in a full screen option. I find that browser games that don't offer fullscreen have a lot of dead space which detract from the game a little. Sorry if this all comes across a picky mc pick pick :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Amon

Thanks for all the input guys. :)

Windows exe is available here: http://amon.pro/storage/amazingdave.zip

It allows window resizing and fullscreen. I've gone through the suggestions and fixed or edited a few things to make the game easier. You guys are right, some of the levels are ruthless. :)

GameMaker Studio 2 is absolutely the best 2d game making middleware I've ever used. GML is simple and forgiving. The amount of helper functions available to aid in making your game is incredible. It really is a studio of 2d game making power and I can't see myself ever using anything else for 2D. I'm not a proficient coder so using other 2d engines with OOP this n that or having to code collision systems, path finding systems, particle emitters, etc myself is something I can't do yet, but, gamemaker takes all those headaches away and has everything needed to make a 2d game on a professional level and most importantly it looks after the not so experienced coder allowing them also to realize and make their games.

Just woke anyway and need me morning coffees and rollups. Yeah, I know, rollups......:) I'll post back in a bit.

:)

Xerra

Quote from: Amon. on November 03, 2018, 06:30:52
GameMaker Studio 2 is absolutely the best 2d game making middleware I've ever used. GML is simple and forgiving. The amount of helper functions available to aid in making your game is incredible. It really is a studio of 2d game making power and I can't see myself ever using anything else for 2D. I'm not a proficient coder so using other 2d engines with OOP this n that or having to code collision systems, path finding systems, particle emitters, etc myself is something I can't do yet, but, gamemaker takes all those headaches away and has everything needed to make a 2d game on a professional level and most importantly it looks after the not so experienced coder allowing them also to realize and make their games.

Now you're up and running you should enter the next game coding competition. There's two of us using GMS 2 for our entries already.

If you need any help then feel free to give me a shout. I'm no expert but I've put a few games together now using it.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Amon

Quote from: Xerra on November 03, 2018, 09:20:52
Quote from: Amon. on November 03, 2018, 06:30:52

Now you're up and running you should enter the next game coding competition. There's two of us using GMS 2 for our entries already.

If you need any help then feel free to give me a shout. I'm no expert but I've put a few games together now using it.

Thanks, Xerra. I think I will join the compo. It will be good to test myself to see if I can get an entry completed. :)