Author Topic: What do you think for how long directx9 is still supported by windows?  (Read 224 times)

Offline c0d3r9

Topic says all.
There are some guite engines and the only reason not to use them is that you do not know when it is not supported anymore.

Offline Derron

Re: What do you think for how long directx9 is still supported by windows?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »
search engine: "dx9 windows 10 support"
hits: "how to instal" ...

Seems there are already issues with DX9 and windows 10 ...

bye
Ron

Offline MagosDomina

• Aspiring game developer website.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »
I do not foresee it being a wise move for Microsoft to discontinue support of DirectX 9. Microsoft is not Apple, which means they care about compatibility with older software. Failure to support DirectX 9 would make thousands of Indie games and productivity software no longer function on the Windows platform.

In regards to companies using ancient legacy hardware, you would be surprised how many scientific fields use equipment running Windows 98, or how many CNC machines are running code through MS-DOS even in the modern age.

I've worked for manufacturers who use Visual Basic running on Windows 10 to drive their test equipment.
Central hub for my Game Design related activities.
http://www.magosdomina.com/

Windows 7, 64-bit, 48Gb RAM, CPU: Intel Xeon, 3.33 x12, 4gb Nvidia Quadro 5800FX SLI x 2.

Online Steve Elliott

• You secure that shit Hudson!!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
I agree, Microsoft are not Apple so they won't break DX 9 support.  I wouldn't worry about compatibility, even Blitz3d  (which is DX 7 based) still runs well.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)