Amos 2 now in development

Started by Pakz, October 27, 2018, 05:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakz

Just found this on facebook. Amos 2 and stos 2 should be useable next year. The development of Amos 2 has started.

https://www.patreon.com/francoislionet?fbclid=IwAR2TqYw5xhm-nDrSlp0cjngJVEK4Ery37T1AkmWoouEjXGYQggZrFu3GWK8

peteswansen

Good News! On his Patreon site he says he will "of course" develop AMOS 3D along with the new AMOS 2.. 

Qube

I was excited until I read it was aimed at Javascript / HTML5. Why oh why relaunch something as iconic as AMOS but make it web only?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I was excited until I read it was aimed at Javascript / HTML5. Why oh why relaunch something as iconic as AMOS but make it web only?

Yes I quite liked how easy it was to get things done in STOS back in the day, but AGK 2 is the modern day version that isn't limited to web only.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Loved the original Amos - especially when Amos Pro came out. One of my first properly completed games was written with it. I always thought it was called Amos as a play on Amiga OS , like Stos was Atari ST OS. Can see why they wouldn't change the name as it wouldn't be a spiritual successor then.

Agree that having it just for web is just rubbish, too. AGK is the proper new Amos really anyway.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Pakz

Javascript can be converted into regular desktop apps. Maybe this wil be an option in amos 2. I think people can influence the direction it is going.

Qube

I won AMOS Pro in a coding comp that a magazine held. It came on multiple floppies and with a whopping huge manual. While I really loved AMOS pro and made a few games with it and many apps I did find it slow in it's graphical speed as it couldn't handle many sprites before it lost full frame rate.

Quotebut AGK 2 is the modern day version that isn't limited to web only.
I think that's a fair comparison :)
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Emil_halim

Good news indeed.

Hope that , Blitz2 will be the same at near future.

It's so nice to code with old language in new cmputers. :)

therevills

Very old skool coding style!

' --------------------------
' AMOS2 Compiler Hello world
' AMOS is back! :)
' --------------------------
Locate 0, 25
Centre "Click and press Q to stop!"

For COUNT = 1 To 100000
    Pen 2 + Rnd( 14 )
    Locate Rnd( 40 ), Rnd( 23 )
    If Rnd( 10 ) < 5
        Print "*** AMOS 2! ***";
    Else
        Print "Hello world!";
    End If
Next

Steve Elliott

Very old skool coding style!

I'd rather that style than the long winded Monkey 2 code I've seen.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

therevills

Quote from: Steve Elliott on January 18, 2019, 10:55:19
I'd rather that style than the long winded Monkey 2 code I've seen.

Each to their own... I find MX2 code very elegant :)

Pakz

Amos 2 is set to be done in Q4 2019. There now is a site and forum.

http://amos2.tech/

ThickO

Here is a quick description of Amos from the author.

QuoteA modern version
AMOS 2 is designed to be:

Universal, it should work on every platform, including phones and tablets
Fast, it should use the incredible power of today's machines
Simple, it should be as simple to use as the original versions
Compatible, it should understand and play ALL of the original programs written in the 80s
AMOS 2 is a compiler. It takes as entry any AMOS program ( * ) and converts it into HTML 5 / Javascript code. The code produced works in any browser, can be uploaded to any web-server, and in the future versions of the tool, will be exportable as native executable for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and iOS.

AMOS 2 is much faster than the original STOS or AMOS. For example, one of the demos you will find in the ditribution displays up to 7000 bobs at the same time while keeping a display rate of 50 FPS... compare this to the Amiga, were this demo would have slowed down after 40 or 50 bobs.

AMOS 2 is as simple as the original. It supports the same instruction set as the original, nothing has changed. A screen is created automatically for you, and you can immediately print text to it. The 'Hello-word-in-one-line' is possible again.

AMOS 2 is as compatible as possible. The display of the Amiga is emulated as best as possible, including color animation and copper list effects like rainbows ( ** ). The file system of the Amiga is also emulated. AMOS 2 can be considered as a kind of Amiga emulator (like WinUAE), yet rather a Amiga-under-AMOS emulator, as I do not emulate the Workbench and the whole Amiga system.

As soon as the instruction set of AMOS is complete, I will program the instruction set of STOS. It will be a quick job...

Beside the compiler, I will program a plugin for Visual Studio Code that will provide a comfortable, quick and simple programming environment, and will include a debugger.
3D makes my head hurt...

Qube

QuoteAMOS 2 is much faster than the original STOS or AMOS. For example, one of the demos you will find in the ditribution displays up to 7000 bobs at the same time while keeping a display rate of 50 FPS... compare this to the Amiga, were this demo would have slowed down after 40 or 50 bobs.
AMOS slowing down after 40 or 50 bobs? oh please :)). AMOS didn't run at full frame rate after about 4 or 5 bobs on screen of a small size ( 16 x 16 ). AMOS was terrible for any type of silky smooth arcade game. The compiled version of AMOS could handle roughly double but no way could it push 50 bobs at 50hz.

Until the next time.