BlitzMax NG - Logo and Documentation

Started by Derron, October 16, 2018, 16:23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Hi,

as not all of you are interested in coding a programming language and just prefer to use it - you might prefer to help doing some easier stuff.

@ Logo
The old/standard BlitzMax logo was done by someone 3rd party (if I remember correctly) and I do not know if it is "zlib/png"-licenced now too. To avoid this - and ambiguity I created a logo proposal 3 years ago (resembling the style of the old logo a bit) - and now refreshed it with a more modern look (which I prospected to Brucey in 2017 in a slightly different design already).

Now things for a new project page are in progress again and so I want to brought up the logo proposal again.

So checkout this "thread/issue" there:
https://github.com/bmx-ng/bmx-ng/issues/1#issuecomment-430223268

It contains some logo suggestions - maybe you want to share your opinion there?

@ Documentation
Are there people around using BlitzMax NG for an android, raspi, ... target? Would you like to write up a simple instruction page on how to setup stuff accordingly?
Do you create DLL files, wrap DLLs, call external C code? Want to write simple samples + instructions for the BMX-NG project?

I am talking about storing all these little things you need here and there and then some of us (like me) do not know how that now works exactly. Fiddling around takes ages but looking at ones sample code might help in such nerve-draining moments.

In a few words: who of you is willed to help the BMX-NG project in some way?

bye
Ron

GW

I'm happy to help.
I created flappy bird a few years ago for android with NG.   I could go back over it and write a tutorial (after I re-learn what I did). 
I tried recently to compile for an android app with NG and found it broken.  So first Brucey would have to confirm that it even works.
Because there is no documentation, I don't know what's broken and/or what I'm doing wrong. 

I'm willing to make some tutorials for the new features of NG, but there needs to be an official way communicate with Brucey when questions come up. (email?, this forum?) I don't want to create a github issue every time I have a question about how something works.

Derron

Github issues are another way next to forums - it is similar to a linear bulletin board (so all replies come each after another, you cannot reply "treelike" to specific posts).

Mail: just write him an email and I am pretty sure he won't bite you for it.

There is a website for BlitzMax NG in the making by Brucey, a forum seems not to be planned (as there is github issues, this forum here ... and for now just not a big enough userbase to justify a custom forum).

Documentation could then easily be written right on github (you edit the page and land on github.com). You hand in your proposal and Brucey accepts it. Afterwards (if all scripts work as intented) the page should be online with your documentation then.

Another way to do documentation is populating the "wiki" of the bmx-ng repo. Think it is not as cool as editing pages (wiki can only be public editable for all - or only by team members of a repository).

@ broken
Maybe bump the thread here in the forums so Brucey is aware of it. Or create an issue on github - which is - for now (and maybe longer) - the official way to hand in issues you have with BlitzMax NG.

bye
Ron

fielder

Quote from: GW on October 16, 2018, 16:56:09
I'm happy to help.
I created flappy bird a few years ago for android with NG.   I could go back over it and write a tutorial (after I re-learn what I did). 

WOW this can be nice!!!

i very want to see on Brucey download site the "Android" logo!!!

Derron

Quote from: fielder on December 07, 2018, 07:18:08
i very want to see on Brucey download site the "Android" logo!!!

You mean a logo like this on the blitzmax.org website?

bye
Ron

GW

QuoteWOW this can be nice!!!
you can try compiling the flappy bird program and see if it works, but I think android support in NG broke a while back.

If it's working, I'll write a tutorial about compiling for android.

blinkok

Everything is flat these days

Derron

And everything will be non-flat in some time again. Just check how googles design guidelines for Android get shallowed more and more - and get replaced by stuff they had for ICS already.

People benefit from the tons of new font faces available to the world. Enough stuff to create "font based" logos.

And the current logo is - by the way visible at https://www.blitzmax.org:

Just recognized that I somehow missed to align the first line properly to the second text line. I was pretty sure to have that done.. hmpf.

@ GW
Try to compile - and create issues on github.com so Brucey (or maybe even others) can work around. Stuff for android changed a bit for sure - and also windows applications now need certain "setup files" to avoid being listed as "blitzmax application" in the Task Manager of a Windows 10 OS.
As long as nobody "issues" bugs, they cannot get purged.

bye
Ron