MineBlast - The aMAZEing code a game comp

Started by TomToad, October 14, 2018, 01:08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TomToad

Here is my entry for the code a game comp for Sept 1 - Oct 14.  I didn't get everything in it I wanted, but got most of a working game together.

The idea is to steer your ship through randomly created "Pac Man" like mazes.  You need to blast away all the mines as well as the devices that spawn them.  WASD to steer, space to fire.

Web version: http://www.tomtoad.com/monkey2/mineblast/MineBlast.html
Windows download version: http://www.tomtoad.com/monkey2/mineblast/MineBlast.rar
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

therevills

Very nice and clean little game, the motion of the ship and mines were for some reason really relaxing for me :)

Steve Elliott

Very nice and clean little game, the motion of the ship and mines were for some reason really relaxing for me :)

Agreed.  The motion of the mines and the music do make it relaxing, which lulls you into a false sense of security as the game play is tricky if you don't concentrate.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Dudes here are right: music is relaxing and you need to concentrate on what you do. But this is exactly what makes the game a bit hmm "odd" (surely the wrong word...). It is easy to kill ships on long "roads" but as soon as you have some left to kill - and they do not want to leave an area consisting of only "cross-roads" then you will surely loose lives (nobody wants to wait!). To shoot in a certain direction, you need to move into this direction. on such a cross-road (so 4 tiles only having a "dot-wall" in their center) lead to 100% crashing the ships.

Dunno how to improve that situation. Level generation is nice and looks a lot like mine/pac-man/similar mazes.

Ah .. just had an idea, maybe you could add "mines" which auto-explode after 2-3 seconds. That way you could kill stuff with the right timing - instead of requiring the enemy to move along a "long road".

bye
Ron