Anyone used Monogame?

Started by therevills, October 14, 2018, 22:19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

So after giving Godot a try, I've decided I don't like it (somethings I do, but I dont overall)... so looking around and Monogame has caught my attention.

You code in a nice language C#, its mature and is in active development with a large community.

So questions:

• Has any ex-Blitzers used it?
  • What is the main work flow like?
  • Is it easy to deploy to different targets?
  • What are the deployment dependencies? (eg I need to ship .NET along with my game etc)
  • Any idea what is the minimum spec a target PC is? I need a be able to target pretty crappy/old PCs

GW

I use monogame. It rocks imo!
It's api compatable with XNA, and there is a ton of xna discussions and code floating around the internet so. your not starting from scratch. Any xna book written for version 3 or 4 should work in monogame will minor tweaks.

I wrote an Monogame monkey target a while back and works with desktop and android.
Here is the post I wrote listing some of the reasons why (IMO) monogame should be the primary target for Monkey.
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4905.0.html
The workflow is not too alien.  The 'gamesfromscratch' guy did a video tutorial showing the basics of monogame that will get you started.  There are a lot of frameworks to monogame too.
It's really easy to deploy to other targets.  What I do is create a desktop monogame project, the add a new android monogame project into the solution. then I link my main game file to both projects as a reference.  from the project drop down in visual studio, just pick which one you want to compile and run and do it.

The api is slightly lower level than Max2d, but not bad at all. Its more like Mojo than max2d.   
The minimum target pc would be about the same as blitzmax. 

therevills

Quote from: GW on October 14, 2018, 22:36:56
I use monogame. It rocks imo!
Great to hear! :)

QuoteThe api is slightly lower level than Max2d, but not bad at all. Its more like Mojo than max2d.   
Cool.

The minimum target pc would be about the same as blitzmax.

Wow, do you think MG still runs on XP with DX9? (BMX does)

MG kind of dropped off my radar a few years ago with the whole XNA being left for dead by MS... but it does look very nice.

GW

Don't know about working on xp. if someone is still using xp, then they are already used to most things not working.  I run win7 and have no problems with monogame.
monogame targets DX and Opengl. 
There was a major update to monogame a few weeks ago. it's actively developed and very stable. 

therevills

Quote from: GW on October 14, 2018, 22:58:15
Don't know about working on xp. if someone is still using xp, then they are already used to most things not working.
Yeah that cool, wasnt really expecting it to work on XP. I've got a few users on Steam(!) that bought my games due to still supporting XP!

Looking at the docs now and it does look really nice...