TankMania- The aMAZEing code a game comp sept / oct 2018 entry

Started by Qube, October 14, 2018, 21:11:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

QuoteFirst try, level 5 - recognized there that I keep my HP when progressing to the next level (seems I did not loose HP in the first ones)
Your health is not regenerated each level so you have to collect the health pickups.

QuoteIn level 5 I tried to find some flaws, looking at models etc:
OK, go....

Quote- tracks to not move, tanks look "sliding" - I think in a 6 weeks compo time you should be able to animate tracks properly (and emit dust, break tiles when heavy tanks move over it - you get it, I don't mean it serious)
Lol, that was on my to-do list along with damage marks on the maze walls from missiles and explosions. The enemy tanks are sliding when turning because I didn't get time to do a more bezier curve path for them. It was a case of just leaning the very basics of Unity's NavMesh / Agent thing. In fact all the game was based around learning basic "How do I do this?"

Quote- flaw: you can pretty easily wait in a corner, targetting the only entry and kill one after another without getting hit (takes out the fun, but would allow "surviving")
You can camp in a corner but you run the risk of running out of time in the later levels. Also in later levels you'll get hammered if you try that strategy.

QuoteThere is a "game guide" but hmm, I was not sure what items I collect - the "rocket" makes me fire 3 shots parallel, the clock brings back time, the "+" health, and whats then there is this shield thing ... I guess it helps me for ... 1 hit?
The game guide was going to be a mini tutorial but I didn't have time to do that so ended up with that amazing version instead :P - The shield lasts for 15 seconds and deflects every incoming missile.

QuoteElse: presentation is nicely, polished, ... think it just needs more varying tanks and maybe some cool voice-overs ("come and get some!").
It has multi coloured tanks, what more do you want? :P - Cost me £5 did those tanks and maze walls ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

RemiD

Quotemaybe some cool voice-overs ("come and get some!").
like :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p1vVjIgUzk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A

i agree, i will totally try to add similar sounds in my 3d shooter 8)

Derron

Seems you are not alone with tank games - while content of the following (paid) tutorial might be interesting (painting stuff right in Blender) the output looks too much "papercraft"-like.

https://www.blendernation.com/2018/11/09/trailer-creating-mini-tanks-for-a-mobile-game-in-blender-2-8-alpha/

but they seem to do some unity stuff too, so might be of interest for you (Qube).

bye
Ron

Qube

Thanks for the link. I watched the first free video on "boxing out the tank" and I see Blender has some similar features to Cheetah3D ( which I use ).

Seems like a nice tutorial for creating objects in Blender but I think there are a whole load of decent YouTube creators these days which offer really good tutorial content for free ( ad supported ) which makes these paid for courses hard to justify. I think paid for courses need to be more specific and area focused.

If I was aware of this tutorial and just about to start on TankMania then I'd of bought this out of pure interest.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

CGCookie had pretty cool tutorials (for certain/specific areas in Blender) but as you said there are more and more tutorials now - some still with bad audio, a bad cut or other annoyancies but people are aware that they could monetize stuff or that their tutorials are also kind of "showcases" for what they can do - means they put efforts into creating good looking, well narrated, well cut and efficient tutorials - eg. to get more "patreons" or more subscribers.

Still CGCookie groups a bunch of talented artists which brought a lot of helpful stuff to the blender masses. If you ever want to do "retopology" (means you sculpt your models like "clay" but at the end you create a way low-poly-ier mesh overlaying the high-detail-mesh and just bake details into textures then), then they created "RetopoFlow" which can be bought (to support) or downloaded on github for free.

I once modelled the "moving tracks" of a tank tutorial for my "Ape's Banana Conquest" game. There I used it for the factory production lane-thingy (dunno the right word now, excuse please). Once you tackled that hurdle creating a (simple, game-asset) tank is just a matter of modelling some bits and then send the whole thing to "Substance Painter" where you give it the used, grungy/dirty look with all the metal looking through here and there, bullet dips, ... While I am not a fan of "Substance Painter" being a closed-source-program it is pretty much the "have to use" tool of nowerdays 3d stuff generators. Of course a toonish tank would not need the help of this tool but could just get texture painted right within Blender (I did so for Maze Raider assets).

What is all the fuzz about? If you know Cheetah3D then the logical next step is - imho - to install Blender and start using it. It is _so_ powerful yet free/open source. It is extendible by a wide variation of addons - and it is scriptable via python (so you can create your own asset-pipeline which on execution renders all your different models/sceneries and puts them into tile sheets). Especially for the kind of games shown here you often can come up with decent looking stuff by "blocking out" your models. They do not need to be high detailled but could created in even the more simpler/beginner-friendlier 3D tools. This is the chance to learn how to use Blender - as the first steps in Blender are the hardest. But once you get used to R,G,S,B (rotate, grab/move, scale, border-select) shortcuts you will never go back to other tools. Not to talk about all the particles, hair, ... stuff or with 2.8 then evee as real-time-rendering-modelling-thingy.
Of course it exports to FBX too - so you can use your assets easily within Unity - and there are enough tutorials for it.

Give it a whirl - and if you want to know something without lurking around in the blenderartists forums / reddit / stackoverflow, feel free to ask some stuff here (others are using Blender as well, so others could benefit from questions too).

/end of advertisement ;-)

bye
Ron