Blitzmax & macOS Mojave

Started by sonic, October 14, 2018, 14:17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucey

Hallo :-)

I might add that linkedlist.ValueAtIndex(index) is very inefficient in the scheme of things, and if you feel you need to use that a lot, you may be better off with an Array instead - linked lists are good for dynamic insertions and iterating over, but very costly for random access.

If you want some help sorting out the issues with SDL, drop me a PM or email.
There are two GL SDL modules, one uses shaders, the other is like Max2D. The non-shader one should work with least fuss, but if you still have issues, I can try to help you get past them.

Brucey

sonic

thanks Brucey! and more generally also for doing this project in the first place. you might have saved my seven year project! if it makes money, i'll be sure to send a good donation your way (if you accept them of course.)

so i call ValueAtIndex() very infrequently, 32 times / frame to be exact - i use this it to iterate through part of the list which holds all b3d entities, working out which objects are active / inactive and need to be added to/removed from a sublist containing active objects, but i wish to avoid iterating the entire list, instead going through it round robin, so i store an index of the last one tested. so i'm doing a lot more iterating and inserting / sorting / etc than random access. so i think i made the right choice, as otherwise i'd frequently need to resize arrays. but i wonder if there is a more elegant way to solve this list issue than my current hack (not that it seems to slow things hugely, throwing out the cache.)

about the SDL thing - besides the Y flip, it otherwise works flawlessly with the BRL library, but i'm still on High Sierra atm. i'm not sure what will happen if i try to build against Mojave again. if i do, and i run into trouble, i will accept your kind offer of a PM! :)

sonic

ok this is really odd. i installed the latest High Sierra security update, and now my original BlitzMax installation used for my editor no longer builds. incredibly frustrating. i could move to my experimental NG build but i don't feel it's stable enough yet.

any idea why i might be seeing this, where i didn't see it before?

(is it because my xcode updated?)

clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ with a minimum deployment target of OS X 10.9 [-Wdeprecated]
ld: library not found for -lstdc++
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
Build Error: Failed to link /Users/.../Editor-2018c.mt.app/Contents/MacOS/Editor-2018c.mt
Process complete

ok i installed the 10.13 command line tools. it builds again! i get a lot of warnings that weren't there before, such as:

ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//IOKit.framework/IOKit are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.

but i guess if it builds, i'm ok for now! i just need this thing to hold together till my game's release, hopefully in the next year or two :D