Blitzmax & macOS Mojave

Started by sonic, October 14, 2018, 14:17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

After some bug hunting and squashing Brucey released "BlitzMax macOS v0.98.3.29" during the last night. Give it a go.

bye
Ron

Yellownakji

Quote from: Derron on November 25, 2018, 07:32:24
After some bug hunting and squashing Brucey released "BlitzMax macOS v0.98.3.29" during the last night. Give it a go.

bye
Ron

Now that's excellent.

therevills

sonic

promising! but i have an error at the momemt ("Can't find installation directory...")

will NG support MiniB3D / openGL stuff out of the box?

Yellownakji

Quote from: sonic on December 04, 2018, 23:33:14
promising! but i have an error at the momemt ("Can't find installation directory...")

will NG support MiniB3D / openGL stuff out of the box?

I'm pretty sure it's because you're on High Sierra.  It happened to me on MacOS Moshitve.   I downgraded to EL Capitan, thanks to torrents; worked out of the box, on there.

Now if only i could get PPC.

Brucey

Quote from: sonic on December 04, 2018, 23:33:14

The issue is because MaxIDE is being sandboxed due to it not being signed. When you double-click on it in Finder, it launches from a different location, and therefore can't see any of the BlitzMax resources it expects to find.
You can kick it off from the Terminal, via something like BlitzMax.app/Contents/MacOS/maxide

I am not currently subscribed to the Apple developer program, so it won't be getting signed any time soon, unfortunately.

I may introduce a script you can run in which it builds your own copy of MaxIDE, which wouldn't need to be signed.

Derron

@ script
Have scripts the same limitation? If not then you could have a "__OS X users run first.sh" file which creates a new MaxIDE. What about the binaries of BMK/BCC? They work because MaxIDE is calling them? What happens if a user decides to run them manually via cmd line?

bye
Ron

sonic

thanks for looking into this Brucey, and for keeping the platform alive. Blitz Research dropping support has left me suddenly in the lurch in the middle of a 7 year project haha. but that's the risk you take, and i understand the reasons why Mark abandoned it (though i still feel it would have been better to modernise BlitzMax as Game Maker have done, than start a new language. i digress.)

this stuff is only getting worse. Apple have announced that they're going more draconian with their 2019 OS about so-called 'notarized' apps. pretty certain now that they'll go full App-store only in 2020, so they can get their 30% cut of all Mac software.

it's already a nightmare trying to test other game developer friend's games, or even just jam games and other small indie games without developer accounts. having to do the secret handshake with system prefs for each version of game to even load. there is a terminal command to disable it which i've been considering tbh. but that shouldn't have to be the end user's experience

i'm close to jumping ship for good having been a diehard Mac dev for a decade or more.

Steve Elliott

If you read sonic's comments you see the developer unfriendly way Apple behaves, and the inexplicable way my linux system suddenly decided it would switch back to software rendering.  Seriously?  Not since the DOS days have I had software rendering.  I've not been able to get hardware accelerated rendering reinstated .

So what's the point even trying to support anything bar Windows?  It might not be perfect, but it works and is massively supported.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

The wonderful Mac bashing continues :P - What's so horrific about a system designed to massively cut out malware / viruses? Surely that's a good thing?

An Apple developer account to sign apps is free and the upcoming "notarized" apps is also a free service which automatically scans your app and marks it as clean. I don't see what all the fuss is about?. It is not forcing you to sell / distribute your app via the App Store.

Don't all forget that different Blitz products broke with the various Windows revisions and either Mark released a fix or the community found a workaround. There was little jumping around giving off repeatedly but then again Windows is just a virus free, flawless, super stable, no problem OS, right? ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Ask Adam about how Apple suddenly destroyed his game engine by abandoning the widely supported opengl.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Quote from: Steve Elliott on December 05, 2018, 18:58:45
[...] my linux system suddenly decided it would switch back to software rendering.  Seriously?  Not since the DOS days have I had software rendering.

So you upgraded instead of updated packages? Newer xorg stuff tends to create trouble with older GPUs ... Updating binary blobs (nv or amd) can become a time eater.
Feel free to create a thread about this particular issue.

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

I really don't know why this happened.  I was using Linux Mint 19 and all was working well, a lovely OS.

Then booted up one day and software rendering with no way to return to Nvidia drivers...Just kinda irritated by the various systems out there right now,  that continually change, and in the process break code.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on December 05, 2018, 19:47:40
Ask Adam about how Apple suddenly destroyed his game engine by abandoning the widely supported opengl.
I think you're mistaken here. The main culprit here was his own forked and modified version of Monkey-X itself. Every piece of OpenGL software I have still works, eg, AGK, Cheetah3D( tested OpenGL version ), 3D Coat, Daz3D. Also, no problems with OpenGL games either. OpenGL is still in the latest version of MacOS.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on December 05, 2018, 20:57:47
I think you're mistaken here. The main culprit here was his own forked and modified version of Monkey-X itself.

I think you're mistaken here. He was forking Monkey 2 :-)

@ Steve
You should be able to "turn back time" with the newer Mint installations - timeshift.
Also you _might_ play with installing the most-current driver for your GPU (especially if it is a newer GPU). The "hardware-manager" proposed drivers might be too old or having problems with recent updates you installed. Maybe you have chosen to auto-update "critical" updates too (with higher "security levels"). So you updated (or even upgraded - aka "big version jumps) kernels or xorg. They often lead to issues with GPU drivers - eg. DKMS breaks or so.
As told you might open up a new thread for this particular issue as xorg-log (or some other logs) might tell us what happens.

bye
Ron