Blitzmax & macOS Mojave

Started by sonic, October 14, 2018, 14:17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic

hi there first post here (but Blitzbasic.com member since about 1999). thanks for having me.

i'm really sad about the abandoning of both the Blitzmax language and the old forums.

i'm seven years into a Unity project which relies heavily on tools written in BMax. when I installed Mojave on my new 2018 Macbook Pro, Blitzmax will no longer build / rebuild modules, claiming there are deprecated libraries (possibly wXWidgets related, i'm not entirely sure as i foolishly forgot to save the errors BMax threw when using Mojave.)

i've reverted to High Sierra for now as it will still build despite giving a warning:

Quoteclang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ with a minimum deployment target of OS X 10.9 [-Wdeprecated]

in Mojave, the same warning is followed by several others and the build fails.

Not sure what to do - High Sierra has been a bit of a buggy mess for me, and I'd love to get off this OS, but I'm concerned it might be the last macOS capable of building Blitzmax software.

Does anyeone have any experience with this / has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

Derron

GW

Link to the prebuilt release for Bmax NG.
https://github.com/bmx-ng/bmx-ng/releases
edit: Just realized there is no mac binary.. oh well..

sonic

yeah i looked into it but that was where i got stuck! will stay on high sierra for now, tho it's pretty buggy on this 2018 mbp

Yellownakji

There is "BlitzMax OS X v0.70.3.09" on Github, granted we're on what now..  0.98?  Then again, i began development of my project on 0.87 with minimal porting over to the next revisions so i'm sure it wouldn't be too bad.    Brucey is pretty busy with NXLibs and hasn't been on the forum or responding at all.  Perhaps when he manages to get some time, i'll look into it for you.   I plan to port to MAC as well, so i'll have to ask eventually.

It will require a lot of time though.

Yellownakji

I looked into OSX the other day and Mojave just isn't a viable as of now.  The most common compile failures seem to do with something called 'carbonLIB' which i believe is their old API for applications.

However due to Mojave sucking horse bollocks, i reverted all the way down to my beautiful El Capitan and NG 0.70 builds beautifully; Modules, anyways. 

I am trying to port an app at the moment so i can't speak on that behalf.

Derron

Raise an issue if you want to make sure to raise Brucey's awareness.

I am pretty sure to see him here and there in lurking around in the forums but he is kind of busy with the new website and fixing the issues people report via the github repository.

bye
Ron

Yellownakji

Quote from: Derron on October 28, 2018, 18:34:15
Raise an issue if you want to make sure to raise Brucey's awareness.

I am pretty sure to see him here and there in lurking around in the forums but he is kind of busy with the new website and fixing the issues people report via the github repository.

bye
Ron

I'm aware of that.   He is lurking but he's backed up to the point where messages are on hold; I'm not going to bother him any further, right now.  I'll wait till he gets back to me.   The only real issue is with clang.  "Libstdc++ is deprecated; Move to libc++"; Preventing me from building.

I thought i'd have a more annoying time building for linux but mac is taking the cake.

therevills

Derron

therevills

DerFetteElch

I've openend a bug-report on github for this issue a few weeks ago.

Brucey kindly replied:
QuoteAs a quick fix, you can use these lines in make.bmk, in the @define default_cc_opts section at around line 420...

globals.SetOption("cc_opts", "osversion", "-mmacosx-version-min=10.9")
         globals.SetOption("ld_opts", "osversion", "-mmacosx-version-min=10.9")
         globals.SetOption("ld_opts", "stdlib", "-stdlib=libc++")

That fixed it for me.

Cheers!

sonic

glad to see others looking for a solution at least. longer term i definitely need to upgrade because i don't think this machine was really designed for high sierra. testing out mojave was such a pain, i had to roll back to high sierra but it erased my recovery partition, meaning i can't run 'find my mac' on a (near maxed out) machine that cost more that i dare to admit.

so i'll probably need to do a clean os install of mojave to get my recovery partition back, and reinstall all my software again (i don't think i'll be able to get the high sierra installer, as apple only hosts the latest one afaik.) macos is so locked down and frustrating these days. i remember the early days of BMax and having a solid cross platform tool felt really cool and forward looking. nowadays i'm not surprised if noone wants to support macs anymore. at least there is Unity (which is what i'm primarily using now.) next year when they drop 32 bit support and opengl it's going to be a nasty shock for some users relying on old apps or playing even quite current games.

Yellownakji

Quote from: sonic on October 31, 2018, 00:45:22
glad to see others looking for a solution at least. longer term i definitely need to upgrade because i don't think this machine was really designed for high sierra. testing out mojave was such a pain, i had to roll back to high sierra but it erased my recovery partition, meaning i can't run 'find my mac' on a (near maxed out) machine that cost more that i dare to admit.

so i'll probably need to do a clean os install of mojave to get my recovery partition back, and reinstall all my software again (i don't think i'll be able to get the high sierra installer, as apple only hosts the latest one afaik.) macos is so locked down and frustrating these days. i remember the early days of BMax and having a solid cross platform tool felt really cool and forward looking. nowadays i'm not surprised if noone wants to support macs anymore. at least there is Unity (which is what i'm primarily using now.) next year when they drop 32 bit support and opengl it's going to be a nasty shock for some users relying on old apps or playing even quite current games.

I gave up on Mojave; It was total garbage.  They even managed to F'Up the usb drivers!  49 minutes to transfer 20mb, MEGABYTES. TWENTY.

Hell no.. just no.    With the removal of "allow all apps" in preferences, broken compatibility for most of my applications, intense slowdowns for basic tasks and this stupid transfer goof, i went back allll the way down to EL Capitan, the last good "OSX" in my opinion.   Modern OSX, anyways.   El Cap runs beautifully and does what i need it to do, if i ever unfortunately need to use a macintosh.  However to be fair, the last OSX i genuinely like is 10.6;   I still bring my old macbook around with me sometimes because it has 10.6..  just love that version of mac.  R.I.P MacOS9.

By the way, you can still get the old installers.   If you find the direct link to High Sierra appstore page on EL Capitan, you can downgrade.   You have to be on Mojave.

When you're on High Sierra, then you can go down to sierra.  that's how that crap works.   ...or you can torrent the installer app/back up your installers.   I failed to do so with EL Capitan so i just torrented the installer and did a fresh install after making a bootable USB.

AFAIK Mojave can't run 32bit;  None of mine work on Mojave.

sonic

unfortunately you can only go as far as the OS the machine came with, so i'm stuck with high sierra which is pretty awful. i've been using mavericks and snow leopard up till now on past machines, snow leopard being the best of course. the future (or rather the present) is far less bright :(