AppGameKit 70% off until October 15th 2018

Started by Qube, October 11, 2018, 20:26:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

TGC are doing a AppGameKit FREE for the weekend. This is handy if you want to try the full version of AGK.

If you like it or indeed want to buy it at 70% off the usual price then you can grab it via Steam for a whopping £18.29 - Bargain!
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pakz

Trying.

I had been following the minecraft thread and noticed agk not having the power of for instance monkey2. Needing the minor docced and difficult to use memblocks for meshes. Progress with the minecraft project is not fast there either.

Not sure if agk will get interesting this weekend and if I am going to purchase.

Qube

On the face of it the biggest downside to AGK ( Tier 1 ) is that the language is interpreted. That's not to say it's a slouch as it's pretty nippy for an interpreted language. This shows up if you have any heavy game logic that needs doing every frame. You have to code efficiently ( which isn't a bad thing ) and also take a multi pass approach for heavy logic like A* pathfinding for multiple objects in a large map as doing it in one go would result in a few frames pause in your game.

Personally I've not had any speed issues with AGK as in AGK I've always split heavy logic over frames rather than brute force it in one go. All my previous game comp entries on here were done with AGK and run constantly at 60fps on modest hardware.

If you know C++ then AGK has what they call Tier 2 whereby you can access all the features of AGK but you code in C++. Or MikeHart created a superb plugin for CerberusX which allows you to use all the features of AGK but with CX.

QuoteI had been following the minecraft thread and noticed agk not having the power of for instance monkey2.
Monkey2 being compiled is faster in code execution but I'd say the features and ability of AGK outdo Monkey2.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

But monkey 2 is a dead language, AGK is not.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Always lol.  I'm so surprised people support someone that has screwed them so many times.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on October 13, 2018, 23:56:35
Always lol.  I'm so surprised people support someone that has screwed them so many times.
I just feel sorry for iWasAdam.. There's a guy hammering away creating stuff and getting his bug reports ignored so much it resulted in fixing things himself. Crazy, pure crazy. Priority should be finishing off features and fixing bugs, especially from those that are using the product to create decent stuff.

You know my feelings on the whole thing though ;D

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

You know my feelings on the whole thing though ;D

Yep, filter = 0  :P
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..so Monkey 2 is also officially dead, or did i missed something??

Holzchopf

Mark wrote he will still work on Monkey 2 despite his daytime job. So yeah, it's basically dead.

Pakz

I am a little bit worried on the future of Monkey 2. I am not sure what else I can get going with if Mark decides to pull the plug. Compared to agk - Godot looks like it might be the best thing on the market right now(slant) It can be installed and kept updated through steam.

But for the time beeing I am a little bit distracted. My stepfather got ill a while ago and died last monday(cancer) I knew him for like 20 years or so and been at their place for like every day since 2011. I do not really feel like doing anything. I was thinking of installing a pull up/squad station and spend more time exercising to get my mind of things. This requires no real brain power.

MikeHart

Quote from: Pakz on October 14, 2018, 09:13:42
I am a little bit worried on the future of Monkey 2. I am not sure what else I can get going with if Mark decides to pull the plug. Compared to agk - Godot looks like it might be the best thing on the market right now(slant) It can be installed and kept updated through steam.

But for the time beeing I am a little bit distracted. My stepfather got ill a while ago and died last monday(cancer) I knew him for like 20 years or so and been at their place for like every day since 2011. I do not really feel like doing anything. I was thinking of installing a pull up/squad station and spend more time exercising to get my mind of things. This requires no real brain power.

I am sorry Pakz for your loss. Concentrate on things that make you happy.

TomToad

I have a love/hate relationship with AGK2.  The pluses are a very efficient engine,  The ability to port to multiple platforms (desktop/mobile/web) right out of the box, no need for installing additional tools, versatile command set, for example the tweening commands make movement a breeze.  Just set up the sprite to move from point A to point B and the time needed to get there, AGK engine does the rest.  Also AGK has a thriving community of developers wanting to help and is still supported and being developed.  Reminds me of BlitzBasic.com back in its heyday.

I find the biggest negative of AGK is its lack of some basic OOP functions in the language.  I find development much slower and more difficult without them.  There is Tier 2 which allows you to use C++ and many third party development which allows you to use AGK with Python, Java, C#, and Cerberus.  But when you go to Tier 2, you lose the biggest advantage of AGK which is ease of portability to multiple platforms. Most only will work with desktop, and the couple that do work with mobile/web require you to install multiple additional tools such as Android Studio and Emscriptem.  This will give you no more advantage than using something like Monkey, Unity, or one of the many C++ engines already available.  Another disadvantage is lack of ability to directly manipulate your assets, such as the vertices in your 3D objects or pixels in your images.  It can be done, but requires copying everything over to memblocks and trying to understand the format of the data.

I'm not abandoning AGK just yet.  The developers have done an excellent job with it and honestly I think it is one of the best choices out there for indie developers.  The language is not much different than early Blitz products such as Blitz3D and B+, so if you prefer to use one of those, you might feel right at home with AGK.  My last project I decided to try Monkey2, I've messed with it a bit in the past, but never really made a full program in it before.  I find Monkey2 a really nice language, but since Mark got a new job, support for it has dropped to almost nothing, and the forums are near a ghost town.  I think AGK is going to be one of those languages i "keep coming back to."  I'll dabble with others until I find one that I truly like, ideally I'd like to see AGK Tier 1 get some basic OOP functionality.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Qube

Until the next time.