WIP - 'The Young Prince' - Party based RPG

Started by Matty, September 21, 2018, 14:40:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

You can do pixel art with a graphics tablet too - just depends on the software.
I prefer to use the tablet for "texture painting".

BTW I go d'accord with Steve's opinion about the sprites lacking certain details (maybe because of scaling them down). Just look how isometric tiles of the 90s-pixel-era look (Civ2 et.al.).

If you want to stay with that painted-look you might consider to draw in a vector programme. This allows to adjust stuff here and there without much hassle - and it keeps details better when scaling down.

@ text alignment
Seems to be still borked up (cut baseline!).

bye
Ron

Matty

The only way that is going to work is if I pay a graphic artist.  Pre made asset packs wont have what I want.

Maybe my taste is wrong/different but I love the look I've got going.

Matty

Whiteboard notes next tasks..prioritised..

Matty

Matty

Game now has secret corridors full of treasure. Different floor tiles. 3 groups of monsters.  Monsters come in multiple layers like the players to allow a variety of combinations of enemies.

Matty

Matty

First quest created (code works - no idea if balanced yet!)

Bug fixes, features added, graphics added (there are now 4 different 'groups' or 'mobs' of monster types....

Quest below:

'The Skeleton Captain'

MichaelUK

Hi Matty, I like where you are going with this, I think the style is good, what language are you programming in? Keep up the good work.

Matty

Thanks Michael.  Javascript is the language used - for web.  I pike that because I can then run on either my phone, tablet or desktop without any changes.

Matty

Tutorial mode added - it's pretty straight forward game already but it makes it that little bit easier to follow...

Matty

High level characters ... and a dark elf...

Matty

Music added and health bars above enemies as well....two music tracks - one for the dungeon, another for everywhere else.

A few other little tidbits here and there to help out the game a bit more.

Matty

I completed the final boss dungeon (playing).

However as designed the game allows you to continue on after defeating the boss.

I won't have time before the competition is over but I would have liked to have some more features yet to be investigated.

The music is quite nice though.

Matty

Two Maps (high res and low res)

Low Res

Hi Res

Derron

Ok, so I gave it a whirl.

Cool, has a tutorial.
Hmm, tutorial has some unobtrusive "hand cursor"-thing. Oh, it moved already, where is it now? Maybe it is too unobtrusive.
Tutorial has sent me to a dungeon. I went into the dungeon - and the tutorial-cursor was where - I clicked and left the dungeon, hmm cursor wants me to enter again. Seems the tutorial-cursor should ont be visible in that area for the time exploring the dungeon.
Ok, moved my party - movement was "sudden" (so not smoothly transitioning to the next tile). Tiles appeared and disappeared "out of the sudden" - no smooth scrolling.
In short: this map behaviour looks "80s". I would prefer to see stuff smoothly scroll (with smooth I do not necessarily mean "linear", you couls "swoop" them in too).

in the dungeon of the tutorial(!) I found a treasure - and I found a mob, the mob killed the first of my party without loosing worth-to-mention HP (I clicked on him like a beast!). Then the mob killed the next and the next - only one was left, who killed the enemy with 2 hits (or so). He killed also another 2 mobs - but then 2 others attacked simultaneously and "start screen".
I felt a bit "kicked in the ass" by a "tutorial". A "tutorial" which is where (good thing) but it does not help when during character "preparation" you just popup a text-field "reroll". You should give more textual hints on why things happen.
During the first fight/encounter you could inform the player on what to do.

So for now I put the game aside as the visual appearance (tile movement, not your drawings!) and the (my fault ;-)) miserably failed tutorial put my motivation to the ground.

bye
Ron