September 19, 2018, 02:49:58 PM

Author Topic: Crazy Dram - Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th  (Read 63 times)

Offline Holzchopf

Crazy Dram - Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
I'm trying this worklog thing too :)

So the game I'm planning to complete is a rail maze game with pre-placed but rotatable rail tiles. There will different game modes, including Connect, where the wagon waits on the start tile until you made a complete path to the finish tile, Action, where the wagon proceeds for one tile after every turn, and Hurry, where the wagon constantly but slowly goes on and you have to prevent it from crashing. I'm almost certain there will be gems to collect for points or some to avoid, but I'll finally decide on that once the Connect mode alone runs and see how much fun to play it already is.

So far there's not much to show, because all I did so far was mostly working on the concept. Well, here's the image I posted in the official compo thread which I drew to visualize the maze element and how tile rotation is intended to take place: There will be small driving gears (freely placeable) that will rotate the four touching rails.

Next step is to come up with a clever idea how to generate always solvable levels and - if possible - classify them automatically from easy to hard.

Offline chalky

Re: Crazy Dram - Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
Is this inspired by Crazy Train from the early eighties (I loved that game and was the first person in my Student Union Bar to get over 1,000,000 points during a single 10p attempt!)? Looking forward to seeing how it develops.