November 17, 2018, 01:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Gridfire  (Read 1055 times)

Online Steve Elliott

• You secure that shit Hudson!!
Re: Gridfire
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
Initially I was just going for a 3 strikes and you're out approach - 3 hits and it's game over.

But if you add bombs as well as laser strikes, then surely bombs cause more damage?  Clearly the enemy tanks (for sure) and also your own craft need to absorb more damage, so I've added a damage bar for every unit, bombs causing twice as much damage as lasers.

Also tweaked the graphics, added more animation frames and more power ups.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »
I do love those graphics :) I can see they are a labour of love in both visual and colour work. That's some real nice work there  8)

PM me the beta when its ready  ;D ;D ;D
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »
I do love those graphics :) I can see they are a labour of love in both visual and colour work. That's some real nice work there  8)

Thanks, I'm pleased how they turned out.  Pixel art is one approach to graphics that can produce some ugly visuals if you're not careful.

PM me the beta when its ready  ;D ;D ;D

lol well that's the missing part - the code.  I have the graphics and sound all ready to go now - and a bunch of ideas for gameplay...But my main project has to take priority, although I'll be working on this as much as possible too.  :D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
I've got all the media for this game (graphics and sound).  So I'll use my game engine to complete it, then wrap it all up in my Computer Language at a later date.  I just want to play it, so the language will have to wait a little longer  :D

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Good test for the main engine though :)
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
Good test for the main engine though :)

Well the engine runs the game at 2240 FPS so no real test, but it does test stability and efficiency, which are very important.  1.64Mb for a game (so far) is pretty efficient in my eyes   :)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:30 PM »
Well the engine runs the game at 2240 FPS so no real test
Data would disagree - he could play your game at that speed ;D

but it does test stability and efficiency, which are very important
Especially memory leaks  :o
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
Added a feature to the Game Engine and it all went pear shaped, so the game is delayed until I can sort the bug.  Just tweaked the graphics a little.   ::)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
Is everyone having issues in one way or the other with this comp? :P

On the plus side, I like your new avatar ;D
Until the next time...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
Is everyone having issues in one way or the other with this comp? :P

Because everybody is trying new languages/engines lol.  And that problem is now fixed.  Besides, my game isn't really a maze game, so not elegable.  It's a game I'll personally enjoy playing, so will get completed.

On the plus side, I like your new avatar ;D

Haha I thought I'd use an Avatar that reflects my current game.  It'll change after I begin my next game  :D

Offline RemiD

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
my suggestion : try to create something new, a small game, but something different.

It is not good for the motivation and "productivity" to keep working on a never ending project...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
my suggestion : try to create something new, a small game, but something different.

It is not good for the motivation and "productivity" to keep working on a never ending project...

Well no because I've made good progress and the engine/language will enable me to write games quickly - including GridFire.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
the engine/language will enable me to write games quickly
ok, good luck for the next steps, curious to see what you can make...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
ok, good luck for the next steps, curious to see what you can make...

Thanks, well I'm working on a computer language called 'elgol', which stands for Elliott Game Oriented Language.  I'm not going to go into details here as it's far from ready.

elgol will allow me to then produce some games (including GridFire) and a game I never finished due to some nasty bug I picked up at the time.  Here's a clue...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 11:42:12 PM »
But whatever I produce game-wise, I do absolutely love computer languages and how they're put together.  It fascinates me.