Article 13 just passed.

Started by ENAY, September 12, 2018, 14:35:06

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

Well that's a bit of a shock. Good bye Internet for Europe. Won't be long before you're like China then.
How will SyntaxBomb operate if European users are using it to send links to source code and stuff?
I have no idea how this hyperlink tax is going to work and who is going to enforce it.

Holzchopf

Two possibilities:

• Whoever hosts the article (and owns the rights to it) has to find out somehow of the link - either by being contacted by the one who links, by accident or by being informed by someone else. Very much like copyright infringements are discovered nowadays.
  • The EU sets up an administrative monster that does the link checking, contract work and taxing

Nr. 1 would probably result in a lot of publishers thinking "well that's a lot of work for shit that could actually bring potential clients to our site" and then putting their contents (or part of it) under a fitting CC license. Nr. 2 would definitely result in a shitload of new jobs being created (which cost. a lot). That's why I think it's going to be Nr. 1.

Matty

Does it affect:

A. Sites hosted on servers in the EU

B. Sites receiving content from users in the EU

C. Sites visible to users in the EU

?

Qube

From what I've read hyperlinks by themselves will be exempt. You can't have a tax on a hyperlink to another website as that would be totally unenforceable.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what it's all really about when the final version is finalised behind closed doors in January 2019.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

meems

>hyperlinks by themselves will be exempt

well its a hollow law then. Any link can be a hyperlink, so zero impact on the basis of the internet.
I wonder if this article 13 is just groundwork to attack hyperlinks though.

Naughty Alien

..as someone who came from Europe, its hard to believe how large POS Europe has become..

ENAY

Sargon of Akkad actually went to the EU and tried to prevent it from happening. He describes the EU and what the atmosphere was like. He discusses it on his channel here. It sounds like a terrible place, at least England has Brexit on the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP3HJ1YYrgs

If I was in charge at Google, the moment they started this system, I would just shut down the servers to Google and Youtube until they stop. Those EU countries would just die over night. Turning off parts of the Internet now at this late stage would just crippled entire industries.

Kryzon

@ENAY and establish a dangerous precedent of "do what we want or we disable Google and YouTube", like terrorists?
You only want them to do that now because it's for something you agree with, but maybe in the future they might use it for other things that we can't imagine.