Monkey to Android... Via Monogame

Started by GW, September 12, 2018, 06:20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

Monkey doesn't have to die a lonely death. Now it can live forever via Monogame. ;)   iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, Windows, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch too.

Content loading is biggest hurdle, It's working on PC, but android is still in progress.  Mark did asset loading in a very strange way.

GW

Got content loading working for android..

MikeHart

Kryzon

Isn't Monogame an engine of its own? Why do you need Monkey-X?

GW

QuoteIsn't Monogame an engine of its own? Why do you need Monkey-X?

Monogame is a framework, more like SDL. 
IMO some advantages are:
1) increase the monkey targets to Xbox One, PS4, Switch etc. Blitzmax NG used to be able to compile for Android, but it's broken now. Also alternate options for desktop. (xna pc builds are much faster than the glfw build times)
2) IOS and Android targets are always up to date. Monogame is backed by Microsoft so it's not going to vanish anytime soon.
3) Easier pathway to doing full-3D from monkey. 
4) Access additional features of Monogame.  I've wanted to port my chiptune tracker to mobile. It would be easier to port it to monkey than c# and monogame allows direct access to the audio buffer.
5) unified shaders across all platform. 
6) I like monkey and don't want to see it die. Using Monogame is some low hanging fruit to give it some more life.

Kryzon

Derron

@ broken NG android target
Raise an issue (with the specific problem you now experienced).

@ monkey
Wouldn't a "cerberus-x"-compatible target make more sense (as cerberus-x is more actively maintained than monkey-x)?

@ pathway for 3D
Of course only if you use the monogame-target? What about html5 then? Answers I found ("using angle") after a quick lookup were 3+ years old.

Good job anyway!

bye
Ron