Vanarchy - Sept Comp Entry

Started by STEVIE G, September 11, 2018, 22:42:57

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Time for a worklog I think!

Made some good progress over the last few days.  Background graphics are done for now but I might revisit them and add more stuff if I have time before deadline.  I wrote a voxel like routine (adding, colouring and cutting cuboids) which makes creating new assets pretty quick as they don't need to be done by hand.

Managed to get the DX7 hack working to disable bilinear texture filtering (thanks Derron I think) which means I can keep the low-res look on any resolution and it scales nicely.  The bonus is that I can also use hardware accelerated blending to get nice shadows which automatically darken the vehicles.  ;D

Time to make a start on the actual gameplay!

Matty

That looks very neat.  Like the look of it.

Qube

The screenshot makes me think of a similar part from the Ghostbusters game :P

Love the style. You certainly have a way with pixels ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

@dx7
Wasn't me.

@Qube and the pixels
Yes, it looks pretty consistent and nice.

Bye
Ron

col

Looks great!

Assuming that you're using Blitz3D then there's no need for a 'hack' to turning off bilinear filtering as it's built into this version via the texture flags parameter ;)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

GrindalfGames

@col
Will this version run in steam? I found that the plugin im using gets crashed by steam

col

@grindalf

The version I modified is the latest standard version of Blitz3D source released from BRL and updated for the texture filter flag.

I didn't know there were issues with Steam and Blitz3D. How does it gets crashed? Do you have something that I can investigate ( maybe some instructions/reproducible/source ) to see if its fixable from the Blitz3D side?

It might be a better idea to start a new thread regarding that issue so as not to pollute this game/entry related thread?

STEVIE G

Quote from: col on September 12, 2018, 08:18:11
Looks great!

Assuming that you're using Blitz3D then there's no need for a 'hack' to turning off bilinear filtering as it's built into this version via the texture flags parameter ;)

Does that one not have the issue with Fmod license?  Anyway, it works so I'm happy  ;D

I wanted to get some more detail in my vehicle sprites so have increased the Van length by a couple of pixels and 1 pixel higher.  Also have increased the rotations to 32 frames to make it a bit smoother.  Looks good enough I think.

I was thinking about how to do the old pac-man - move left out the level and appear on the right and think a tunnel is the way to go.  I also think that having a wrapround level would be best as it'd make the transition seamless rather than warping which I don't think will look good.

Next up is designing the police cars ..  it's great fun doing low res retro pixel stuff I think. 

col

QuoteDoes that one not have the issue with Fmod license?
No, fmod.dll is supplied and needs to be distributed along with your final exe. There are no license issues.

QuoteAnyway, it works so I'm happy
And that's most important :)

STEVIE G

Cop Car and Cop Van ... best I can do with the limited real estate.

STEVIE G

STEVIE G

Added some subtle self shadowing on the buildings today.  Made a cop station (where the cops spawn from) and a Bus (which won't chase you but get's in the way).

I changed the trees to be more detailed but they didn't have the same appeal as the rectangular ones below so changed them back.

I'm going to drop the vehicles being shadowed by the buildings as it doesn't look as good as I hoped.

I'm also debating whether to add in a zoomed out (full level on screen) mode as it might actually play better like this - possible both options with a mini-map for this zoomed in view.

I now have full control over the Van and the level scrolls and wraps around.  Control needs a few tweaks to get the controls slicker but it feels quite nice.

Anyway, a few updated shots ..

Qube

Some lovely pixel work you've got going on there :)

QuoteI changed the trees to be more detailed but they didn't have the same appeal as the rectangular ones below so changed them back.
Flicking your eyes around the map the you instantly know that they are trees. Did you try any rounder ones? or would that just look like a weird ice cream?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on September 16, 2018, 22:57:16
Some lovely pixel work you've got going on there :)

QuoteI changed the trees to be more detailed but they didn't have the same appeal as the rectangular ones below so changed them back.
Flicking your eyes around the map the you instantly know that they are trees. Did you try any rounder ones? or would that just look like a weird ice cream?

Thanks.

They do look a little like ice creams if I round them.  I did a quick culling of some pixels top and bottom on the voxel trees - think it looks a bit better?  Might apply the same to the bushes.

The Oak in the top right needs a little work.