April 07, 2020, 09:22:44 PM

Author Topic: Vanarchy - Sept Comp Entry  (Read 7466 times)

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
Re: Pac-Van [provisional name] - Sept Comp Entry
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 10:24:43 PM »
Again, the AI is dumb.  It also takes around 25 secs before all the cops are out of the station and about 40 before both of the tanks are out.
I knew it was a mistake to post a video of a test level.

Was Van Tourisimo fine?

That's ok, we can only judge on what we're seeing, maybe post a difficult level video.

Yes Van Tourisimo ran very smooth (just checking) and a reminder to others regards 60FPS :D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Cool video, great to get a tease of it in action \o/

I see you've gone as particle crazy as I have for this game entry. Although I think yours work better than my OTT stuff ( blame learning experience ) ;D

Twilight zone moment. Have you just deleted the video 2 minutes after I watch it? :o

I thought it was pretty cool to see it all in action and look forward to playing it. Clever stuff with the cops siren effects and how you've given the pickups a rotation effect with such few pixels.

I'm jealous you have auto generated maps. I'm stuck in manual building hell as I knew it'd take me way too long to figure that out in a whole new dev environment.

Looks a sweat polished game and can't wait to have a play :)
Until the next time...

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Cool video, great to get a tease of it in action \o/

I see you've gone as particle crazy as I have for this game entry. Although I think yours work better than my OTT stuff ( blame learning experience ) ;D

Twilight zone moment. Have you just deleted the video 2 minutes after I watch it? :o

I thought it was pretty cool to see it all in action and look forward to playing it. Clever stuff with the cops siren effects and how you've given the pickups a rotation effect with such few pixels.

I'm jealous you have auto generated maps. I'm stuck in manual building hell as I knew it'd take me way too long to figure that out in a whole new dev environment.

I think yours trumps mine in terms of particles.   ;D 

I actually did all the cars + pickups in 3d and rendered 32 rotations in 2d.  A bit of a fiddle to get it looking right in such low res but the bonus is you get perfect shadows without having to manually draw them. 

I reinstated the vid.  Was going to put one up which has more action but it'll waste valuable coding time so won't be doing that.

Have you considered only creating a quarter of the levels and mirroring the other quarters?  Not sure how easy that would be to do in Unity.

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
I actually did all the cars + pickups in 3d and rendered 32 rotations in 2d.  A bit of a fiddle to get it looking right in such low res but the bonus is you get perfect shadows without having to manually draw them.

A nice tip, thanks for sharing. 

I reinstated the vid.  Was going to put one up which has more action but it'll waste valuable coding time so won't be doing that.

Nah, we're near the competition deadline now, we'll see the action first hand soon enough.  The game has plenty of potential for manic gameplay, but always best to gradually ramp up the difficulty.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
Have you considered only creating a quarter of the levels and mirroring the other quarters?  Not sure how easy that would be to do in Unity.
I could save time doing it that way but some of the levels are not in a pure x by x grid and have corridors to other sections.

I did briefly consider a random maze generator but I knew I'd get bogged down with more than just coding it up due to my lack of internal Unity knowledge. I think that at this stage it would have been a huge time sucker.
Until the next time...

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »

Eeeeww, didn't realise that we had to do that to our games before we released them :-)

Perhaps you meant sweet, lol.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 08:17:32 PM »
Perhaps you meant sweet, lol.
Yes :)
Until the next time...

Online Derron

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »
But maybe Qube also just likes to wear "sweet-shirts":

(source: zoostyle.de)

Have fun finishing your entries!

bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
But maybe Qube also just likes to wear "sweet-shirts"
Erm, is it weird that I actually do wear some t-shirts similar to that? :P ( sorry for the thread detail, blame others ;) )
Until the next time...

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »
Music added last night - it was cheap but does the job for now.
Had a good playtest on Wednesday with pals and no-one could get beyond stage 3 so been working on some AI balancing.  Will probably need tweaked post comp.

It's touch and go whether I'll make the deadline as have busy weekend.  Have been working on Menu's (I fecking hate Menu's!!!).  They are pretty low-key as you can see but as long as they work I can make changes after deadline.

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
It's touch and go whether I'll make the deadline as have busy weekend.

Stevie your game was near complete since the first screen-shot we saw.  Get it done.   ::)

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 11:05:53 PM »
Can not wait for the sequel. "Son of Vanarchy" :-)

Looking good, Stevie. Make the deadline - you can do it.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
Stevie your game was near complete since the first screen-shot we saw.  Get it done.   ::)
lol, this is true :P

Don't go to sleep, that will give you some good hours ;D - Good luck and I really hope you finish in time.
Until the next time...

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
Re: Vanarchy - Sept Comp Entry
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
I love the way the game looks and plays Stevie! Good job mate.   :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal