June 18, 2019, 02:54:49 PM

Author Topic: Vanarchy - Sept Comp Entry  (Read 4338 times)

Offline blinkok

Re: Pac-Van [provisional name] - Sept Comp Entry
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
For me that's inconsistent with the style of everything else (Being square). Maybe just add some variation with some trees varying height and multiple forms per tree.

Offline Holzchopf

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
@STEVIE I think this is too much and too wild detail. Maybe just round the corners..?

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »
I did a quick culling of some pixels top and bottom on the voxel trees - think it looks a bit better?

No, it looks worse because it's now inconsistent - because everything else is square.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 05:07:36 PM »
For me that's inconsistent with the style of everything else (Being square). Maybe just add some variation with some trees varying height and multiple forms per tree.

Thanks blinkok, I like this look. 

I did a quick culling of some pixels top and bottom on the voxel trees - think it looks a bit better?

No, it looks worse because it's now inconsistent - because everything else is square.

Agreed - less detail is better.  TA.

@STEVIE I think this is too much and too wild detail. Maybe just round the corners..?

Not bad, I might try this out too.

Will post an update once I'm finished.

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
I think I'm done with the foliage (16 variations of tree tiles and 16 of bush tiles) .  I removed the self-shadowing on the foliage as didn't look too good - more appropriate for the buildings I think.

I also added a Monument and some park benches.  :P

Time to get on with the game  ;D

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Looks great.  The only thing that's drawing my eye is the blurry road lines - it seems out of place with everything else sharp.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
Looks great.  The only thing that's drawing my eye is the blurry road lines - it seems out of place with everything else sharp.

Cheers.  I played about with various looks to the road / markings a few weeks back and settled on this one.  The main reason is that I wanted to keep the markings more faded as they'll be covered in pickups.  I might revisit.

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
I would take the rectangles and put a very low alpha on them so they blend nicely.  You have not only blurred the 'rectangle road markings' but also the road in-between and it's making my eyes go funny just looking at the road  ;)

I adjusted some of the road markings vertically by the blue van to show what I mean - the road to the right is far too blurred in comparison.

Offline Derron

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
I am with Stevie there: the sharp road markings would be kind of distracting (because of their precise recognizeability). They might even look like little dots a PacMan would like to have as lunch. Still: maybe do a mockup and see how it does. A like-shadows-alpha variant might do too.
Edit: Steve replied just some moments ago, so yes - give it a whirl or wait until you add the boosts/extras.

@ Stevie
Seems the hospital (the one with the "H" ? - had assumed a red cross on the roof is to choose) does not to the best jobs - as there is a little graveyard next to the building ;-)

These old 80s-suburbias might benefit from some antenna towers (Radio WBBXYLQL 100.5 AM). Also "Bars" (some neon-flickery-pixel signs!) or a fire headquarter could look cool too.

Did you consider street light signs/traffic lights ? Can be "too much" ... so hmm hmm.
What about a single railroad moving through the city - including barriers and the risk of getting catched by a train if you ignore signals or break the barriers?

Nonetheless: get the gameplay going first.

bye
Ron

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
A close up of what I'm talking about (vertically from the building down to the van) I haven't altered horizontally, the road on the right and everywhere else gives no definition - far too blurred in comparison with the sharp graphics.

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 09:56:04 PM »
A close up of what I'm talking about (vertically from the building down to the van) I haven't altered horizontally, the road on the right and everywhere else gives no definition - far too blurred in comparison with the sharp graphics.

Ah, got you ... sorted.

I am with Stevie there: the sharp road markings would be kind of distracting (because of their precise recognizeability). They might even look like little dots a PacMan would like to have as lunch. Still: maybe do a mockup and see how it does. A like-shadows-alpha variant might do too.
Edit: Steve replied just some moments ago, so yes - give it a whirl or wait until you add the boosts/extras.

@ Stevie
Seems the hospital (the one with the "H" ? - had assumed a red cross on the roof is to choose) does not to the best jobs - as there is a little graveyard next to the building ;-)

These old 80s-suburbias might benefit from some antenna towers (Radio WBBXYLQL 100.5 AM). Also "Bars" (some neon-flickery-pixel signs!) or a fire headquarter could look cool too.

Did you consider street light signs/traffic lights ? Can be "too much" ... so hmm hmm.
What about a single railroad moving through the city - including barriers and the risk of getting catched by a train if you ignore signals or break the barriers?

Nonetheless: get the gameplay going first.

bye
Ron

It was a Hospital but the H was for a helipad.  I thought of changing to a red cross but never go round to it.  How's this?
I have street lights but traffic lights at every junction is too cluttered.  Even the street lights were too cluttered until I restricted them to only T junctions and dead ends.

Other ideas are good and might do them if time permits.

Screenshot below shows improved self shadowing - noticeable on the Monument and the new water fountain.

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 09:58:08 PM »
Spot on!   :D

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 09:02:47 PM »
Collectable coins & power crates :D

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
When do we get to play?  :D

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:39 PM »
When do we get to play?  :D

October 14th probably :-)