There Goes A Tenner - Sept Competition entry

Started by iWasAdam, September 06, 2018, 11:22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

Quote from: iWasAdam on September 19, 2018, 15:29:15
Hard... Hard...!  >:(

Not sure If I will finish this one...

Still have 3 weeks and 3 days to get it done, mate. Nothing to panic about just yet - not even halfway there :-)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Well don't let feature creep happen.  Just get the main gameplay and graphics in and produce a bug free game.  Anything else is a bonus.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

thanks. I'll bang on and see what I come up with  :(

iWasAdam

Well. things are progressing. I've been cutting stuff out and working on a clearer approach.  :D

And I've got me a logo now:

Matty

Title is good....what is the meaning of the phrase though?

iWasAdam

LOL From the first post:
QuoteI'm still brainstorming, but sorta decided on ' get your team and go get the money'. Kudos if you guess the source (without resorting to google)

It's a reference to the second track on Kate Bush's album "The Dreaming"

It's about a robbery that goes completely wrong...

iWasAdam

mmm. It's almost as if I have a detector that says "this is what people are doing - do the opposite"!  :P

It's a maze, but a fixed maze of walls form a building.

This is the mini map. There will be a blueprint style one as well showing more detail.

But in essence you get dropped into a map and have to 'achieve' a goal - E.G. Get out, break in, get the jewels, etc

Currently I've got guards (that move and 'see' you and cctv (which you can disable). Doing stuff takes time - time where you might be seen.
If you are seen your 'seen level' goes up. reach max and you have to start over.

There is a timer, so you only have a certain amount of time, find a clock and the time will be increased.

So, while everyone else games seem to be about fast action and blowing stuff up. mine looks to be about stealth and creeping around quietly.

Don't move the furniture - it will make a noise and attract the guards, but maybe it will block their routine too?

iWasAdam

Steve Elliott

So, while everyone else games seem to be about fast action and blowing stuff up. mine looks to be about stealth and creeping around quietly.

Both types of games are fun  8)

And Here's the poster:

You can't quite read STEAL properly - just drop that bank note a few pixels.  And the bank notes look too realistic compared to the blocky graphics.  Looks good though.

Maybe something like this...
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Agreed.
Here's the graphic I'm actually using. I should go and do a render with particles

iWasAdam

Still working away  :(
All the pieces are being created.

Just got added a dog. it doesn't move, but revolves in 90 degree chunks. if it sees you, it barks - which makes a noise - which attracts guards... And it works!!!

Derron

Does the dog use the same approach than you use for moving chairs/furniture?
Read: is it a noise which gets "forgotten" after a while (noise meter sinks/lowers)?

If it was a dark mood game this means you could eg. "kill" (or otherwise "calm down") a dog/guard to stop emitted noise.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Yep sort ahead of you there...  8)

Maybe a bone would calm the dog down?

Derron

Better a bone than a boner.

Next to bones you could also throw a boot or maybe you find a dead rat in a cell.

Seriously:
- complete gameplay first before doing what is suggested below
- if you somehow motivate the dog to follow you into a room - and then you close the door (hopefully the dog inside and you outside) then the noise will be less loud

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Oh you  :D Thanks to me turning off autocomplete I don't suffer from those issues anymore  :))

Yep Gameplay, Gameplay, Gameplay...

In theory it would be possible to move (tempt) the dog, but would start to complicate controls. So far I'm only using up/down/left/right