There Goes A Tenner - Sept Competition entry

Started by iWasAdam, September 06, 2018, 11:22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Guess what... ? No pics! :o

I'm still brainstorming, but sorta decided on ' get your team and go get the money'. Kudos if you guess the source (without resorting to google)

not sure what the visual style will be. I want to get the base mechanic first...

Derron

Hmm ... Pac-Man-Bank-Robbery could be an interesting game. So a safe in some corners, you need to open them without getting seen by guards patrolling around. Including some riddles to disable laser alarms.

Good luck.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yay a picture!!!!  ;D

:-X There's a lot more to this than originally thought...  :'(

iWasAdam

think i've got it now...  ;D

pixel based stealth...

iWasAdam

sliding collision, hit vectors and base walk animation sorted :)

iWasAdam

mmm some very interesting level design needed.
map 1 is the base design. I also need another map for the room layout. which now meas I can have a blueprint map, and places that (the contents) are hidden until discovered.
This means you can have the entire floor plan onscreen, but no know if there are gurds, etc in areas you havent visited - sort of like room fog of war!

iWasAdam

ok. First look of things in action:

so. what we are seeing is the full top down 'blueprint' view.
Initially you are in a closed cell, and only know what is in it.

The door is locked, so you need to pick it - the time taken to pick the lock is shown.

As you enter the hall, you can see that the doors (on the blueprint) become locked! We only knew there were doors, not their status...

we now pick one of the door locks and enter the room. the contents of the room become visible. we knew there was plumbing in the room as it was on the blueprint. but we didnt know there was a bed in there as well. Maybe there is also other things/persons in rooms?

iWasAdam

Here's a (map edit) shot showing the cctv and its' 'beam'
plus guard and their walk pattern  :o

so you need to turn off the cctv and avoid the guards...

iWasAdam

Been thinking about how guards and cctv will work. Coupled with this is alarms.

if you set of the alarm then you loose. when you are seen by a guard or cctv your alarm status goes up. over time it will go back down. when at max the alarm is triggered. Seems like a simple concept ?

iWasAdam

Got path following for guards working ;D

next up will be to add a vision cone so the guard can see you...

iWasAdam

Fixed minor bugs with guard path following.

objects can be pushed around. but they will make noise. noise will attract guards...

You can see that when the chair is pushed, the guard changes direction towards the noise (they wont deviate from the path though)
And when the guard turns the corner, you can see the 'alarm indicator rapidly go up (when you are seen) :)
Get a max alarm/seen and the alarm will go off and your goose is cooked - mmmm tasty!

Also implemented different times for unlocking doors, etc. These are programmable so different characters can have different times. E.G a locksmith wont take long to open a door.

I wonder what that computer terminal in the locked room might do?

Derron

> I wonder what that computer terminal in the locked room might do?

It opens up a terminal running gwbasic. There you can "hack" into the security system and disable cctv, order pizza for the guards or unlock prison gates to start a revolt.
... ok, not that serious uhm? ;-)

@ chair movement
Dunno how it looks but maybe add some kind of "dotted circle" increasing radius every 100 ms and draw another one later on. So it simulates "audio waves" travelling through the room. This might even be used to indicate "when" or "by whom" a sound is potentially recognizeable.

Another idea is: each noise has a certain volume. If you eg. move the chair the volume is "5". But if you are able to reach the computer to play some "please stay calm"-audio-messages with a volume of "10" then the chair movement is barely hearable.

In other words: you could create sound sources which overlay potential noises you need to produce.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

@ sound volumes
If you visualize noises with "audio waves" then the range of these waves is already indicating the "volume".

As you do not have a "rewind game 5 seconds" button, you need a information-display on how noisy an action will be. I mean: you move a chair and hope it is silent but .. it isn't. But before you move the chair you have some kind of imagination on how loud the noise _might_ be in the worst case. This information is needed.
If you had a "rewind" option you could just try it out - see the audio waves - and then rewind. It would also be kind of cool as it is similar to these "plans" in movies ("A will go into the bank and ..." - and the screen shows how the actor is going into the bank). Similar to movies plans might not go as well as initially thought. So eg. movement of a guard might differ a bit after a rewind (especially as you now might eg. move a chair more slowly to avoid distracting noises).

Rewinding in games is not the easy-peasy part as you need to save game states + actions (so you can "undo" stuff). But if planned properly it could play more "heist"-like then.

Regardless of this: I think you might first try to make the game playeable and then add more complexity later on (just keep it in mind and prepare your code a bit for it).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

oooh REWIND  :o ;D  :-*

now to think about how to make it work...  :'(