Bring on the hate - I'm playing with Unity

Started by Qube, September 06, 2018, 07:39:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

First off, I'm not a big fan of all this visual editor malarkey. It drives me nuts wading though a mass of GUI when creating games.

However...

I fancy doing an Oculus Go game ( VR headset for those that don't know ). As it happens there's a module ( from the Oculus team ) for Unity that has all the bits and pieces you need to support the Oculus Go.

So for that last couple of days I've been diving into Unity ( again ) and having a general play about. My play about has resulted in having multiple cubes spinning and bouncing off each other while having a spot light shine out of them, casting shadows and particles zooming out of each cube.

Yeah I know, stupid idea of a test but that's what I wanted to do :P

I've also been playing with uScript Pro which is a visual scripting plugin. I bought this many months ago but not done much with it. It's actually very clever in the way it works and I can see a full game could be done with it without any coding knowledge what so ever.

As in the past I'm still not getting the Unity bug but I want to keep on with it as I'd just love to do an Oculus Go game.

I can see the appeal of Unity and I just need to leap in head first and learn it. I think to have any enjoyment, you need to dedicate time to it. It's not a pick up and go environment but it's well supported and I think it could be quite a good fun change from pure source code game making. I doubt that I'd move over to it permanently as I much prefer the pure source code approach.

One thing that does shock me is the file size of such basic apps!!! - A few spinning cubes, lights and particles should not be pushing 50MB surely?. Perhaps I'm missing some optimisations options somewhere but I think that's just a pure crazy output size for what it is.

Very early days so I can't condemn it yet :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

@ file size
It's the runtime...

In godot you do not have the classic "source to binary application" approach. They pack your stuff and add their runtime. Think even GameMaker or RPGMaker 2000 did that 15 years ago.
Their runtime is precompiled and contains all-you-can-do. In Godot you are able to compile your own "export targets" and you can disable some stuff you do not need (no 3D? disable, No XML support? disable). Nonetheless their runtimes keep pretty big (someone shrunk the 25MB android runtime to 7-8MB for a 2D-only-game).

For me that is still rather big. Also the WebAssembly export of Godot is 20 megs or so - albeit people try to calm down by stating that it compresses to 4 MB.
This is one of the most "argghhhh" aspects of Godot and Unity I dislike: filesize for simple tools.
If they wrote it with modules in mind, they could auto-detect whatever is used in the code, and only import these modules. But seems it is easier that way - as it allows easier multi-target-development (no need to compile "ios"-stuff on Windows, just put "ios runtime" + "scripts" + "assets" into one package). I think that is ok for "rapid prototyping" (up to no "compilation/packaging" times) but there should be some kind of "advanced build" which does then analyze your code, create all needed module-packages, ...).

@ VR
So next competition is "VR only"? :-)

I cannot imagine why "Qube" enjoys "cubes" spinning around. Why not just do a VR-Pac-Man-esque game - could be played as simple "FPMG" (First Pirson Maze Game) even without VR.

bye
Ron

GrindalfGames

Unity is a Tool and even though I don't like it myself I think it does its job well. That being said I do not think it is a tool for all game types. I think for level based games in a 3rd or first person view its a great tool because by the 2nd or third level you will have most of your prefabs made and its just a case of drag and drop to finish the game(imagine making an unreal tournament style game with unity, it would be easy a 2D turn based rpg like final fantasy on the other end would be difficult)

I intend to use Unity one day..... Assuming I ever finish my Grimoire of Worlds first......

fairgood

On the subject of Unity, Humble Bundle have a Unity bundle this month.
Includes a few add ons and games as well as media that might be useful
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/unity-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Might've given unity a brief go ages ago, I think this dinosaurs went passed the point of learning New languages.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

ENAY

About 4 years I used Unity to make a tech demo using the Oculus Rift and it was dead easy. There is a library included in the Unity installer that allows you to have a VRCamera Object to be used similiar to a camera. In other words if you replaced your main camera with this VRCamera thing you could be up and running in about 10 minutes like I was.

Unity is great for VR dev, not sure about Oculus Go though, although a programmer sat across from me a few weeks had one on his head and he also had the Unity window up, so he was certainly doing something in Unity with it.

Qube

Quote from: ENAY on September 12, 2018, 07:59:43
About 4 years I used Unity to make a tech demo using the Oculus Rift and it was dead easy. There is a library included in the Unity installer that allows you to have a VRCamera Object to be used similiar to a camera. In other words if you replaced your main camera with this VRCamera thing you could be up and running in about 10 minutes like I was.

Unity is great for VR dev, not sure about Oculus Go though, although a programmer sat across from me a few weeks had one on his head and he also had the Unity window up, so he was certainly doing something in Unity with it.
Oculus have provided the same plugin for the 'Go' as well. It supports all the Go's features ( 72hz refresh and Fixed Foveated rendering ).
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

Qubes progress with Unity.....

I've managed to grab a few more hours to play with Unity.

Most of the time has been looking through tutorials, the API and general Google based coding questions. My God! this thing needs major time investment to even consider yourself a beginner with Unity.

I was going to go down the path of visual scripting ( via a plugin ) and while it was fun it very quickly became evident that it just wasn't going to cut it for the way I like to work.

So with a terrified expression I dived into C#. Turns out the basics of C# are pretty easy to pick up. Most of my current stumbling blocks have been the Unity API rather than the C# language. I did find it odd that parts of C# are similar to PHP?

Unity is a beast of a system and one that needs time invested to learn but I want to make and sell an Oculus Go game so here I am ;D - No doubt by the time I'm a little more proficient with it then the Santa Cruz version will be out.

Thought I'd post a video of my current testing app. It's full of AAA graphics  :P - The tank *cough* is controlled via C# script and has acceleration / deceleration. At the end of the video you'll see it farts balls out of it's side. These are supposed to shoot out from the front but I don't know why they are farting out the side instead. I'm sure I've done something super stupid and no doubt I'll give myself a good slap when I've figured it out.

I've already figured out how to get the tanks bullets to fire with velocity but in the video they just appear and drop. Very early days, lots of things to learn and lots of noob mistakes to make. I'll continue onwards with my AAA test to learn as I go along ;D

The video also shows me messing around with Unity's post processing shaders which is why it looks a little funky.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Nice tank  ;D

Looks like you've made some neat progress though, even though you don't exactly seem like you're enjoying Unity.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteNice tank  ;D

Thanks, I spent ages looking at reference models so I'm glad the accuracy and attention to detail is appreciated :P

QuoteLooks like you've made some neat progress though, even though you don't exactly seem like you're enjoying Unity.
I am enjoying it, mostly ;) - It's a completely different way of working and it certainly has it's wacky ways about it. Lots and lots to learn yet but I like a challenge ;D

Until the next time.

Derron

Seems you are feeling the same than I with Godot: you do not learn the coding language, but the API/provides classes/helpers/...

bye
Ron

Qube

Yay, got the firing sorted out \o/

Got a better understanding of prefabs and spawning / deleting them. It's also finally twigged about aspects of game objects ( position / rotation etc ) and manipulating their values in other objects attached scripts. It's a wacky way to me at the moment but it's starting to make *some* sense at long last.

Some hair pulling going on but a big relief when you hit play and the compiler doesn't spit out red errors at me ;D

Another thrilling video :

Until the next time.

Kryzon

One thing I've been wondering is if it's better to have one empty GameObject with a "main" script that controls the whole game (and imports your game library etc.), or setting scripts in each individual GameObject.
There's good points for both?

Derron

Use multiple scripts - as you can "reuse" scripts then. If scripts get "compiled" then it will be faster on recompilation if only certain parts need to get recompiled.

It is the similar decision when using "import" instead of "include" in BlitzMax.

bye
Ron