Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th

Started by Qube, August 31, 2018, 23:50:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Bugfixed my entry for those with non-QWERTY keyboards.  You can now steer with cursor keys as well as WASD.

Thanks!  I prefer cursor keys too (and I do have a QWERTY Keyboard) because I'm right handed!   :D

When you're using keyboard and mouse to control a game it balances and feels natural, but only using keyboard with the left hand (and you're right handed) I find it uncomfortable.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

I've updated my original post but I'll say it again anyway, as it's on a previous page.

Rockman has been updated for both OSX and Windows now on Itch.io

https://xerra.itch.io/rockman
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

RemiD

@Qube>>
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights is fast enough to be playable
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights-PP has significant slowdowns

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 17, 2018, 18:39:58
@Qube>>
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights is fast enough to be playable
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights-PP has significant slowdowns
Thanks for testing :)

I thought the full screen Post Processing shaders would be a killer on older hardware. Certainly a toggle option I'd put in future 3D games via a graphics option section you mentioned in an earlier post.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Well done to all applicants, looking forward to giving them all a whirl, is it a record number of submissions?
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

Quote from: 3DzForMe on October 17, 2018, 19:04:20
Well done to all applicants, looking forward to giving them all a whirl, is it a record number of submissions?

I just checked this out of curiosity.

Competition 1 - 6 Entries
Competition 2 - 4 Entries
Competition 3 - 10 Entries
Competition 4 - 6 Entries
Competition 5 - 8 Entries
Competition 6 - 11 Entries

So, yes, a new record for entries this time round, which is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any debutants this time round, which is a shame. I definitely thing more people should be aware of what we're doing here so we get some new people having a go each competition.

On a side note, there's now 45 games out there and, apart from the first competition where everyone was doing their own take on Asteroids, each competition has got people making different themed games. I still think there's a great opportunity here for a future competition where every entry has to be either a remake or a sequel to a game that's already been submitted. And that you should not be allowed to use your own game. I really do think this would go down very well so we might need to start bending Qube's ear :-)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

TomToad

Quote from: Xerra on October 17, 2018, 21:52:58
I still think there's a great opportunity here for a future competition where every entry has to be either a remake or a sequel to a game that's already been submitted. And that you should not be allowed to use your own game. I really do think this would go down very well so we might need to start bending Qube's ear :-)

This sounds good in concept, but I'm not sure how we could make it work.  Technically, all the games submitted are under copyright, and I'd hate if someone chooses a game to remake that the original author would rather not have redone.  I thought about everyone submitting a game or two to a list that can be remade, and you can only enter if you submit at least one game to that list, but then that would eliminate the ability for new people to enter. If we eliminate the requirement to submit a game, then there is a possibility of someone entering the contest without adding to the list that could have.  If we require past participants to submit but exempt new people, it could become unfair, especially those that may have one or two submissions they don't want redone, but nothing else to offer. I can't think of a way to do this that would be fair to everyone, encourage new participants, and eliminate the risk of inadvertently stepping on someone's toes.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

RemiD

the idea of making a sequel is interesting, not necessarily a similar game, but a game which has some of its entities / story related to a previous game.

for example, the ginger ninja fell from too high and now he has to use a vehicle to fight enemies...

and of course, all the graphics / sounds must be new and original (even if they could be similar in some ways)

Derron

If you have to do a "similar" game then nobody would try to "sequel" a game with advanced graphics or "dynamic SFX" or whatever might be hard to "replicate".
So people would try to choose from something "easy" (in their own point of view).

I still prefer limiting in a certain way - "rotation", "air", ...
In my opinion remaking other entries has the limits which TomToad already exposed/explained.

bye
Ron

STEVIE G

I personally think it's a terrible idea and I would have zero motivation to get involved. 

Is it not much better that we create more new games based on new rules/categories?

Qube

I'm not quite sure a remake / sequel of someone else game would work out very well because that in effect is doing a competition with no category, a kind of free-for-all. I also don't think there are many games whereby a remake / sequel would necessarily be an improvement as they all have that raw charm about them.

QuoteIs it not much better that we create more new games based on new rules/categories?
That's my personal preference. I think it's better to keep the competitions with a theme / guide rules and let the person(s) entering be creative based off of that.

But it's worth exploring ideas as you never know what may come about from it :)
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

RemiD

well, personally i don't care, so disregard my comment ok ;D

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 18, 2018, 20:35:44
well, personally i don't care, so disregard my comment ok ;D
Is that because you don't enter the comps? :P - You should as it'd be great to get as many people participating as possible.

What I love about the competition entries is the pure freedom of creation and the little gems that people come up with. It's great to see what people can come up with in such short space of time and it's very impressive.

Until the next time.

RemiD

i may participate in a "competition" in the winter season (between now and end of march), because i don't go out as much as in the summer season. so maybe, it depends on the theme...

Steve Elliott

Is it not much better that we create more new games based on new rules/categories?

I agree.  Re-making games here wouldn't interest me either.  And as for remaking games in general I love the idea, but there is always somebody that owns copyright and so could cause you some hassles.  I have 2 ideas for games, but they are both based on several games (rather than just one) with unique graphics.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb