Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th

Started by Qube, August 31, 2018, 23:50:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Dunno what "options" I would have in Godot to make it _not_ crash. I use a windowed resolution of 1280x720, maybe this is a problem on your laptop?

I lowered the start resolution to 1065x600 (might even be too much?) and disabled "S 3tc" (whatever it means). Shadow sizes etc are already on 1k or 2k - so should be "possible".
Aside of that I this time did not try to "optimize" stuff but just relayed on Godot to do what is needed. So please excuse if it does not work for you.

You could give it a try (if it is the resolution thing):
https://www.gamezworld.de/files/mazeraider/Maze_Raider_remiD.Win32.7z

edit: and here is a sluggish html5 export (it does not run perfectly smooth here on Linux 64bit, Firefox) but maybe it exposes if it works "at all" on your computer or not:
http://www.digidea.de/games/mazeraider

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 15, 2018, 21:01:18
laptop, DualCore AMD E-450 1646 MHz - 4 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics  (384 Mo)

TankMania is really slow even on "low"
Maze Raider made the graphics crash (error message) and then the graphics window is white
I'm not surprised that TankTastic / TankMania was really slow. Your laptop has a 7 year old integrated GPU with only 384MB of shared RAM :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Added a MacOSX-export to my post (as I've read about Xerra who needs to boot up his PC first ;-)).

@ Crashes
I am sure Godot has some debug capabilities but for now I try to avoid digging into another new subject (godot debugging) for now.

bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on October 15, 2018, 22:51:35
Added a MacOSX-export to my post (as I've read about Xerra who needs to boot up his PC first ;-)).

@ Crashes
I am sure Godot has some debug capabilities but for now I try to avoid digging into another new subject (godot debugging) for now.

bye
Ron

Hahah, Thanks a lot, Derron. The PC is a second hand old beast of a machine that I bought on Ebay and the bios actually tells me it used to be in a school as it has the name still there. Last night, literally just after I had compiled my entry for PC and stuck it on a USB stick, the pc powered down and wouldn't start up again and just has a constant blinking orange light. It's the same this evening so googling the fault says I've got either a power supply failure or the motherboard has gone.

Guess it's time for a new PC after all - else I won't be able to play the other entries.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

QuoteAdded a MacOSX-export to my post
Tested and works fine :)
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

RemiD

QuoteI'm not surprised that TankTastic / TankMania was really slow. Your laptop has a 7 year old integrated GPU with only 384MB of shared RAM
@Qube>>Really a bad excuse, your scene is quite simple and small, i can play games like skyrim, gta4, tomb raider underworld, thief5, test drive unlimited 2, without slowdowns...

@Derron>>i will test in the evening

Derron

I think the lighting is creating the slowdowns. Dunno how many dynamic lights Qube is using - in Maze Raider every "flame" has 1-2 dynamic lights attached. So I do not use pre-baked lightmaps to fake ambient occlusion or "lights at all". Assume this stuff is done via shaders and there might be a limit reached somewhen.

Is your CPU utilization 100% when running Qube's game? Just asking to check whether it is limited cpu wise (game logic) or gpu wise (textures, shaders, effects, ...engine).

In Godot I checked "Low Processor Mode" in my project settings (did not have much effect on my computer but maybe it helped on others) - maybe Unity has a similar thing.

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote@Qube>>Really a bad excuse, your scene is quite simple and small, i can play games like skyrim, gta4, tomb raider underworld, thief5, test drive unlimited 2, without slowdowns...
Really bad excuse? - huh! Your GPU is a pile of old crud with no RAM and I did state in my game post about its requirements. It has multiple real-time lighting and many shaders so I'm not surprised at all that a GPU like yours rolls over and gives up. I didn't optimise the game for archaic hardware. That was never my goal.

I also highly doubt your claims about no slow down in some of the games you list. Please post a video of you playing tomb raider underworld on that GPU. I bet it's only playable at minimal settings with no real-time lighting and low resolution. Sure I could add that side to my game but again, that was not the aim. Word it how you want but that GPU is not meant for gaming at all.

Until the next time.

TomToad

A question about bug fixes.  I had planned to put the ability to configure keys into my entry and even add touch controls so I could make a mobile version; however, I ran out of time and decided to add these features after the contest.  Unfortunately, I didn't think about foreign keyboards making the game unplayable for people like RemiD.  Would it be within the "bug fix" rule if I added cursor keys to the controls?  It would be as simple as changing If KeyPressed(Key.W) into If KeyPressed(Key.W) Or KeyPressed(Key.Up).  I know it is technically "adding new features," but at the same time could be considered a "bug fix" as it would make an unplayable game into a playable one.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Derron

@ adding some "KeyPressed()"-alternatives
I would vote for "is allowed". What I would not accept (rule-wise) is adding "ingame key configurator screen" (Else I would do that too ;-)).

@ WASD
If that wasn't allowed and RemiD is absolutely interested in playing: couldn't he change keyboard layout from "azerty" to "qwerty" temporarily (think Windows offers a convenient way since XP)?

bye
Ron

RemiD

@Qube>>the things and effects in your scene are not so impressive (even if the fire explosions are nice), so you could probably make the same game but faster (which runs well on low end hardware), this is just my feedback and suggestion...

yes i can play tomb raider underworld in low-medium settings (without real time shadows or with low details real time shadows). there is also a level with a lot of fire effects, no slowdowns. anyway!

i know my laptop is low end hardware, that's why i test my games on it, if it runs well on it, it should run on most others computers. re-anyway!

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 16, 2018, 11:56:17
@Qube>>the things and effects in your scene are not so impressive (even if the fire explosions are nice), so you could probably make the same game but faster (which runs well on low end hardware), this is just my feedback and suggestion...
I never said they were impressive. Everything in that game is purely based on learning how to do something ( 1st game in Unity ). I tried the game on my 3 year old MacBook Pro which also has integrated GPU and it runs fine on that too. I figure that's old enough.

Until the next time.

Qube

Quoteyes i can play tomb raider underworld in low-medium settings (without real time shadows or with low details real time shadows). there is also a level with a lot of fire effects, no slowdowns. anyway!
Also just to add. You're talking here about a team of experts who had a couple of years to develop / optimise vs one none expert in a few weeks hacking together what he could.

Until the next time.

RemiD

You're talking here about a team of experts who had a couple of years to develop / optimise vs one none expert in a few weeks hacking together what he could.
@Qube>>if you can't take a constructive critic / suggestion, whatever... (->for a simple gameplay, with a not too detailed scene, it is strange that it is so slow... that's all i am saying)

your game is cool nonetheless.

Derron

@ Qube
TomToad is still awaiting an official response for adding new keycodes

@ RemiD
Do not forget to checkout the new build (or the html5-thing which 99% for sure will be not smooth).
Also you I wrote above that you could change your keyboard layout in windows to play the "qwertz|qwerty" games - so in "emergency" this might do for the time of testing.

bye
Ron