Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th

Started by Qube, August 31, 2018, 23:50:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

So far there have been 8 worklogs created for games being entered into this competition. I'm also working on one but haven't put any information online about it yet as it's placeholder graphics at the moment. I know of one other game being worked on which hasn't been spoken about yet so that looks like 10 ongoing.

Might get a record number of entries this time if they all get to the finish line.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

BasicBoy

@ Xerra

I'm working on something for this compo, but I'm reluctant to divulge anything about it in case I don't finish it (as happened with the Christmas-themed compo). I reckon that if I reach the ~80% completion mark, I'll probably post something about it then. I've been keeping (very poorly) a dev diary, mostly in the form of daily uploads of as-yet unlisted YouTube videos.

Many of those that have posted images and videos of their current WIPs are producing some really astounding stuff!

Good luck to all participants  :D

BasicBoy

Making this game for the compo feels like an exercise in rediscovering the fact that I have no artistic talent or drawing skills whatsoever.  :( :( :( :(

Next time I'll just buy an asset pack!

Xerra

Quote from: BasicBoy on September 25, 2018, 21:02:55
Making this game for the compo feels like an exercise in rediscovering the fact that I have no artistic talent or drawing skills whatsoever.  :( :( :( :(

Next time I'll just buy an asset pack!

I did this for the last game I submitted but have resisted the urge so far with what I'm doing. I might need to, however. The free stuff I've got isn't really good enough.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

BasicBoy

And the other problem with (trying to) draw graphics, is that it takes flipping ages!

8 to 10 hours to draw a couple of rather naff-looking sprites!

Qube

QuoteAnd the other problem with (trying to) draw graphics, is that it takes flipping ages!
Media creation can be a right time sucker. I know when I did ExBiEn that at least 60%+ was time spent doing the graphics and music.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Morpheus

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would give you all a preview of what I am working on: I am doing a remake of a game from the late 1980s. It's called Rock'n'Roll. It came out on the Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Spectrum and Amstrad CPC464.

I have probably bitten off more than I can chew. The game has 32 levels, I will be very happy to get the first 10 in, in time for the competition deadline, but who knows!

Enjoy!

Qube

Oo er! that looks pretty swishy, very nice remake ;D - Hope no lawyers from Rainbow Arts ( or whoever owns the rights now ) are watching :O
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Morpheus

Quote from: Qube on October 02, 2018, 01:01:54
Oo er! that looks pretty swishy, very nice remake ;D - Hope no lawyers from Rainbow Arts ( or whoever owns the rights now ) are watching :O

Thanks, really pleased with the progress so far  :)

From what I have established they ceased to exist around 1991. If anyone owns the rights now I don't know! I have had permission from Chris Huelsbeck to use his music in this remake. So that part is OK /phew!

Qube

QuoteI have had permission from Chris Huelsbeck to use his music in this remake. So that part is OK
That's a name and a blast from the past, nice one ;D - super cool tune.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

That looks like a perfect conversion of the original.  :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

looks and plays brilliantly - too brilliantly.

so, you're not actually making a game - you are ripping the game graphics and sound and then repackaging them exactly as was presented in the first place - you're directly cloning it? You may have created the graphics, but you created a clone. so you created nothing. you might just as well of used the original ones. because they are the same...

I think what you have done is great. and I'm sure the coding is great too. But you are really not bringing anything new or different.

I'm also not certain that this would be allowed as nothing here is really 'yours'. You even went so far as to contact the original authors to see about you using their stuff. Surely this is completely against the concept of making your own stuff - you really have made nothing here, apart from totally cloning an already existing game!

Although I am not entering this competition. I do feel that this should not be entered either - it's a clone, a direct copy, even down to the exact sounds and graphics. Whose to say that this isn't just a repackaged hack?

If I was voting this would have to score 0 or be disqualified.

Rules :

1.. No copyright media or modified pre-built game templates allowed.

But it's brilliant - just not yours!

Steve Elliott

Don't be a Dick, Adam.  Yes It does seem too identical for my taste too, but that rant was just uncalled for.  Go fix your own game rather than trolling.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

:o

I stated some facts - and you agreed - and I'm the....

Steve goes off on one -again at me...  :-* :'(

Holzchopf

Quote from: Morpheus on October 02, 2018, 03:11:36From what I have established they ceased to exist around 1991. If anyone owns the rights now I don't know!

Not knowing who owns the rights doesn't protect you in any way. I don't know where you live, but afaik a copyright stands till 70 years after the death of the owner pretty much all around the world. I'm not sure how it's for work that has been published by an enterprise, but assuming that it's then either date of release + 70 years or date of last involved persons death + 70 years, you can clearly know how owns the rights now. Qube even told you.