August 18, 2019, 09:22:57 PM

Author Topic: Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th  (Read 10162 times)

Online Steve Elliott

Re: Code a game competition - Sep 1st to Oct 14th
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
Bugfixed my entry for those with non-QWERTY keyboards.  You can now steer with cursor keys as well as WASD.

Thanks!  I prefer cursor keys too (and I do have a QWERTY Keyboard) because I'm right handed!   :D

When you're using keyboard and mouse to control a game it balances and feels natural, but only using keyboard with the left hand (and you're right handed) I find it uncomfortable.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
I've updated my original post but I'll say it again anyway, as it's on a previous page.

Rockman has been updated for both OSX and Windows now on Itch.io

https://xerra.itch.io/rockman

Offline RemiD

« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
@Qube>>
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights is fast enough to be playable
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights-PP has significant slowdowns
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
@Qube>>
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights is fast enough to be playable
TankMania-Win-RT-Lights-PP has significant slowdowns
Thanks for testing :)

I thought the full screen Post Processing shaders would be a killer on older hardware. Certainly a toggle option I'd put in future 3D games via a graphics option section you mentioned in an earlier post.
Until the next time...

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Well done to all applicants, looking forward to giving them all a whirl, is it a record number of submissions?

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2018, 09:52:58 PM »
Well done to all applicants, looking forward to giving them all a whirl, is it a record number of submissions?

I just checked this out of curiosity.

Competition 1 - 6 Entries
Competition 2 - 4 Entries
Competition 3 - 10 Entries
Competition 4 - 6 Entries
Competition 5 - 8 Entries
Competition 6 - 11 Entries

So, yes, a new record for entries this time round, which is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any debutants this time round, which is a shame. I definitely thing more people should be aware of what we're doing here so we get some new people having a go each competition.

On a side note, there's now 45 games out there and, apart from the first competition where everyone was doing their own take on Asteroids, each competition has got people making different themed games. I still think there's a great opportunity here for a future competition where every entry has to be either a remake or a sequel to a game that's already been submitted. And that you should not be allowed to use your own game. I really do think this would go down very well so we might need to start bending Qube's ear :-)

Offline TomToad

« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
I still think there's a great opportunity here for a future competition where every entry has to be either a remake or a sequel to a game that's already been submitted. And that you should not be allowed to use your own game. I really do think this would go down very well so we might need to start bending Qube's ear :-)

This sounds good in concept, but I'm not sure how we could make it work.  Technically, all the games submitted are under copyright, and I'd hate if someone chooses a game to remake that the original author would rather not have redone.  I thought about everyone submitting a game or two to a list that can be remade, and you can only enter if you submit at least one game to that list, but then that would eliminate the ability for new people to enter. If we eliminate the requirement to submit a game, then there is a possibility of someone entering the contest without adding to the list that could have.  If we require past participants to submit but exempt new people, it could become unfair, especially those that may have one or two submissions they don't want redone, but nothing else to offer. I can't think of a way to do this that would be fair to everyone, encourage new participants, and eliminate the risk of inadvertently stepping on someone's toes.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »
the idea of making a sequel is interesting, not necessarily a similar game, but a game which has some of its entities / story related to a previous game.

for example, the ginger ninja fell from too high and now he has to use a vehicle to fight enemies...

and of course, all the graphics / sounds must be new and original (even if they could be similar in some ways)
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline Derron

« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
If you have to do a "similar" game then nobody would try to "sequel" a game with advanced graphics or "dynamic SFX" or whatever might be hard to "replicate".
So people would try to choose from something "easy" (in their own point of view).

I still prefer limiting in a certain way - "rotation", "air", ...
In my opinion remaking other entries has the limits which TomToad already exposed/explained.

bye
Ron

Online STEVIE G

« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
I personally think it's a terrible idea and I would have zero motivation to get involved. 

Is it not much better that we create more new games based on new rules/categories?

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
I'm not quite sure a remake / sequel of someone else game would work out very well because that in effect is doing a competition with no category, a kind of free-for-all. I also don't think there are many games whereby a remake / sequel would necessarily be an improvement as they all have that raw charm about them.

Is it not much better that we create more new games based on new rules/categories?
That's my personal preference. I think it's better to keep the competitions with a theme / guide rules and let the person(s) entering be creative based off of that.

But it's worth exploring ideas as you never know what may come about from it :)
Until the next time...

Offline RemiD

« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
well, personally i don't care, so disregard my comment ok ;D

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2018, 03:40:25 AM »
well, personally i don't care, so disregard my comment ok ;D
Is that because you don't enter the comps? :P - You should as it'd be great to get as many people participating as possible.

What I love about the competition entries is the pure freedom of creation and the little gems that people come up with. It's great to see what people can come up with in such short space of time and it's very impressive.
Until the next time...

Offline RemiD

« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
i may participate in a "competition" in the winter season (between now and end of march), because i don't go out as much as in the summer season. so maybe, it depends on the theme...

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »

I agree.  Re-making games here wouldn't interest me either.  And as for remaking games in general I love the idea, but there is always somebody that owns copyright and so could cause you some hassles.  I have 2 ideas for games, but they are both based on several games (rather than just one) with unique graphics.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz