Mark Sibly news...

Started by Coder Apprentice, August 15, 2018, 12:35:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..yes, thats true..i was referring mostly on to language embedded with 3D engine with nicely integrated command set...sure, as language alone, b3d is not really brightest bulb out there, but as a whole embedded package, is simply brilliant, and i guess rest of people here, including me, pointing at that particular 'feature' rather than b3d as a language itself..

plenatus

Yes in this case B3D was great.
In the last months i try monkey2, Cerberus-X, AGK and finaly in every case we are depend from the developers.
And then...in the last years there are many other engines like xors3d or nuclearbasic/fusion....
For me i use AGK now for fun coding and quick results.
But at the end i concentrate me to c++ and so i´m my own hero ;)

I forget raylib and sfml are pretty nice.

Steve Elliott

..yes, thats true..i was referring mostly on to language embedded with 3D engine with nicely integrated command set...sure, as language alone, b3d is not really brightest bulb out there, but as a whole embedded package, is simply brilliant

Yes I agree, the language itself wasn't perfect but it was very simple to pick-up - a huge plus.  And everything you need to produce a 2d or 3d game was built right in.  Mark's later languages and I can see people can't even compile their programs without plenty of help!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ENAY

The problem with cross compile is the maintenance of said platforms. Back in B3D it was just Windows, then BlitzMax had 3 and in the end Mark seemed to stop supporting Linux and it was just Mac and Windows. Now look at Unity, a whole team making sure it runs on about 20 different platforms.

I wish Mark would have just stopped with what worked, B3D was the highlight.
I'm not surprised Mark has just a new job, it's tough times for everyone right now.

Rick Nasher

(Back from outa space ;-)
I personally am stunned that he is acting surprised he finally got a job as c++ coder and has a 'vague idea' what a c++ coder does. Hope it was out of context for it really would explain a lot of why he failed.
So happy I left BRL stuff behind as soon as AGK came around, but still I'm happy for him.

TomToad

When you code for yourself, you tend to build your own style. When you code as a job, then you must do things the way the company wants you to. It would not surprise me if he has a bit of difficult learning to do corporate programming instead of indie programming.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Coder Apprentice

There is an update on his Patreon page...

https://www.patreon.com/monkey2

--------------------------------------------------------------

Better-late-than-never mid-september update!

Whoooeeeee, life sure can change big time in just a few months!

I am now a 9-5 (well, 7.30-4) c++ programmer working in a team of around 100+ people around the world on a project with millions of lines of code. I work in a large open plan office with about 50+ other people, about half of whom are programmers - really, really good programmers. This is of course quite a change in lifestyle compared with casually knocking out code whenever you feel like it at the dining room table, and it initially caused some amount of culture shock. But I'm slowly getting used to it I think...

The coding is interesting and challenging and it looks like we're given a great deal of latitude when it comes to solving problems - although I've really only just been given my first 'assignment' so we'll see what they think of my particular solutions. The other programmers here are complete c++ heads, just like me, and we get to use the more modern variant of c++, c++11, which is much nicer than olde c++. We also get to use the Qt framework which I like a lot and did in fact inspire monkey2's design somewhat.

There is also a massive GIT setup here, and updating the project is kind of a pain in the ass, involving branching, pull requests, code reviews and so on. No doubt this is pretty much the norm' these days but I'm still getting used to it. There are quite a few steps involved and if you forget one of them, your change just sits there doing nothing. Anyway, I know a LOT more about GIT now than I used to and am just about over my past GIT-phobic tendancies. GIT really is easier than it seems and I might write up my own little explainer one day.

So, so far, so good, although it's also been kind of exhausting. I really haven't had the energy to do much monkey2-ing in the evenings, which leaves the weekends but so far I've been doing stuff that I'd normally do during the week, surprise surprise, welcome to the real world Sibly!

But I have at least been thinking about monkey2 and I did actually get a few little bugfixes and tweaks done, so I'm going to put together a 2018-08 release if nothing else just to sort of keep things rolling. Nerobot has also kindly updated the ted2go master branch so that'll be in there too.

I've decided to leave patreon off for at least another month too, as I'm still not sure how much time I'm gonna be able to put into monkey2 in the near future. Longer term, once I get used to my 'new life' a bit, I do plan to get back into monkey2. Plans here include adding a Vulkan driver for the forthcoming ios-pocalypse of apple's deprecating of opengl, but also of course 'coz it's (supposedly) faster on modern GPUs. There is still plenty of general cleaning up to be done too.

Anyway, sorry I can't be more enlightening on the monkey2 front, and sorry I haven't been more involved in the monkey2 communities lately, but it really has been an intense couple of months for someone who hasn't done an honest day's work in over 30 years! Semi-normal service will hopefully be resumed shortly.

Bye,
Mark

v2018.08 can be found here:

https://blitzresearch.itch.io/monkey2

iWasAdam

In latest MacOS Mojave - Monkey2 2d and 3d output is completely dead!

Derron

I am almost sure that Mark does not read your replies here.
The corresponding github issue references a thread by you already ;-)

@ 7:30 - 4
Helps to have a free afternoon but 7:30 is no time for me to do productive coding. I need either a night time or some bright day light. Do not like the morning/dusk times to code.
Think it helps to get some money saved for worse times but ... might also decrease mood/enthusiasm to continue with your "hobby projects" (as you already code at work ...). On the other hand he learns stuff like "team work" (helpful for an solo-do'er like Mark), "git" (welcome CVS!) and much more. It might even help him to learn "focusing" on specific parts of the development areas (not here and there a little bit). So even if it does not help "Monkey 2" it surely helps "Mark Sibly" to improve in particular areas of his "being".

bye
Ron

therevills

Quote from: iWasAdam on September 28, 2018, 09:00:29
In latest MacOS Mojave - Monkey2 2d and 3d output is completely dead!

Should have raised a GitHub issue so it doesnt get lost in the post :)

Looks like regulark has done it for you:

https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/issues/430

zxretrosoft

Any other news about Mark in this year?  :-X

Hardcoal

B3D is not a sophisticated language as blitzmax plus its not object oriented..
once you move to blitzmax you cant go back.

Blitz3D is good for a certain level of stuff. but not so good for creating applications.

the problem with mark's approach is that instead of concentrating on one language he keeps making new names
and lots of versions..

also.. there is alot of things u can develope around a language.. this days..
like what we see in unity...

I think he should let other people assist him to build a frame around his new language.. aka editor.. IDE.. and more.

Code