Extra Carriage return

Started by Mikey, August 14, 2018, 00:28:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Hello

When I press enter after typing in a line, the program now moves two lines down instead of one.
I'm assuming that the issue is in the cfg file  but what changes need to be made to return the software to moving one line down?

I've already tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the software.

TomToad

Odd, I've got the same problem here. Thought it was something I did as I don't use Blitz 3D much anymore. Wonder if a recent Windows 10 update has something to do with it.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Mikey

I'm still using Windows 7 Professional

Funny thing is that the issue was not present a little more than a month ago.

Holzchopf

Are you sure it's moving down two lines and not only one with a line height of about two lines? I had the latter once. Iirc it was caused by an addon (or program) using the same type of textarea gadget but it somehow modified it so pressing the enter key would create a new paragraph, indicated by a line height of 2em.

Derron

@ paragraph

Shift+Enter for newline, Enter for new paragraph (as you might know from richt-text-processors like MS/Libre Office - or some wysiwyg forum editors in the internet)

@ the software
What is "the software" ?

bye
Ron

Mikey

Quote from: Derron on August 14, 2018, 07:15:21
@ paragraph

Shift+Enter for newline, Enter for new paragraph (as you might know from richt-text-processors like MS/Libre Office - or some wysiwyg forum editors in the internet)

@ the software
What is "the software" ?

bye
Ron

The software is B3D. It's still giving me the same issue.

**** OK, though the problem persists when just pressing the enter key once, a press of the enter key when holding down the CTRL key makes it work fine.
Is there some keystroke command that has been turned on that needs to be turned off?
I do not use or edit the .prefs file but Is there some .prefs line that is corrupted?

TomToad

Mikey: where did you download Blitz3D from? I redownloaded the official B3D from the nitrologic page (The latest version before blitzbasic.com went down) https://nitrologic.itch.io/blitz3d and noticed that the file sizes were different.  So I uninstalled, then reinstalled the official version, and now carriage returns are back to normal.

I do think I installed the MSVC2017 version from blitzresearch page before. Comparing filesize shows it is the same size as the version giving me problems. 
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

GrindalfGames

Slightly unrelated because My B3D is not doing this but I have found a few other programs doing this since I changed over to win10

Mikey

Quote from: TomToad on August 14, 2018, 21:10:55
Mikey: where did you download Blitz3D from? I redownloaded the official B3D from the nitrologic page (The latest version before blitzbasic.com went down) https://nitrologic.itch.io/blitz3d and noticed that the file sizes were different.  So I uninstalled, then reinstalled the official version, and now carriage returns are back to normal.

I do think I installed the MSVC2017 version from blitzresearch page before. Comparing filesize shows it is the same size as the version giving me problems.

I followed you suggestion and got no different results.
I even went and installed the software on a different drive and got no results.

RemiD

if your problem is inside the Blitz3d IDE, it may happen because the Blitz3d IDE "accepts" different kinds of fonts / font sizes.

As you probably know, you can set a font kind / font size to use in the Blitz3d IDE.

However, if you copy some code on a webpage or on another text editor, then you past it in the Blitz3d IDE, the text and the font kind / font size is pasted too, and this can produce this weird formatting.

There are 2 solutions to prevent / solve this :
when you copy paste a code from a webpage / other text editor, always paste it in notepad first, to remove the associated font kind / font size.
if you have already inconsistent formatting in the Blitz3d IDE, save the bb file, close it and open it again, all code should be now formated using the same font kind / font size.

Mikey

Quote from: RemiD on August 18, 2018, 11:52:09
if your problem is inside the Blitz3d IDE, it may happen because the Blitz3d IDE "accepts" different kinds of fonts / font sizes.

As you probably know, you can set a font kind / font size to use in the Blitz3d IDE.

However, if you copy some code on a webpage or on another text editor, then you past it in the Blitz3d IDE, the text and the font kind / font size is pasted too, and this can produce this weird formatting.

There are 2 solutions to prevent / solve this :
when you copy paste a code from a webpage / other text editor, always paste it in notepad first, to remove the associated font kind / font size.
if you have already inconsistent formatting in the Blitz3d IDE, save the bb file, close it and open it again, all code should be now formated using the same font kind / font size.

This is not the problem. When I open a new document to begin programming the issue begins.

Mikey

I found the problem.

There was an additional install that was on the disk that was corrupting the application.
It was causing the double <CR>