'Invalid Bank Offset' but my custom binary is still correct?

Started by Yellownakji, August 07, 2018, 20:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellownakji

I wrote my own file format and i can ?successfully? create a binary to read from, however,  Even though i can generate a proper binary, i get a 'Invalid Bank Offset' exception.

Basically, even thought i get this error, i can still generate my binary correctly and and i don't know why it works.

--

bank = CreateBank(Size_T(StreamPos(stream))) 'Create a bank with the same size as the stream we wrote to
** I use streampos because it results the same as streamsize.  i wrote the data first so the last pos is = to the size..

ReadBank(bank, stream, Size_T(Banksize(bank)), StreamPos(stream)) 'Write the stream to the bank
SaveBank(bank, String(container)) 'Finalize the bank to a physical binary

--

Now of course, the issue may be obvious...  Arg3 in Readbank is 'Size_T(Banksize(bank))' when it should be an offset.   Okay..?

My issue is that even though this is most likely incorrect, i can still generate a perfectly working binary to read from.  Everything is in the correct order.. correct size etc etc.  My custom file's contents are just how they should be.   ....but i get an 'Invalid Bank Offset' exception?  Why does this still work?   Everything still get's written after the application terminates.

I really don't get it.    What am i supposed to do for offset?

col

QuoteWhat am i supposed to do for offset?
0 ( zero ) to start reading from the stream to the beginning of the bank?

I think you may need to reset the position pointer for the stream too as ReadBank will start to read from the current stream position for Arg4 ( count ) number of bytes. You'll need to store the size of the stream in order to do that correctly if you have already 'read' from it.

' streamsize:Size_T = Size_T(StreamPos(stream)) ' Using your method or preferably...
streamsize:Size_T = StreamSize(stream)
SeekStream(stream, 0)

bank = CreateBank(streamsize) 'Create a bank with the same size as the stream we wrote to

ReadBank(bank, stream, 0, streamsize) 'Write the stream to the bank
SaveBank(bank, String(container)) 'Finalize the bank to a physical binary
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Yellownakji

Thank you so much, Col!   You're such a big help, once again.

I've never worked with binary...  been itching to learn for a long time and write my own format.  Thank you!!