Next competition ideas for theme and start date?

Started by Xerra, August 02, 2018, 17:37:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Er... hold on! I thought Qube was going to state (on 1st September) a mandatory twist on the maze concept in order to prevent people getting started (or too started!) before the compo officially begins?

Adam will be posting screenshots on 1st September  ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Be pretty hard to start work on an actual game considering we don't know the theme or what Qube has in mind for the twist. Best you could do is have a general framework for stuff like controls, scores, saving data etc.

All I've done is had a few thoughts about the types of game I might want to do next and then will see if any of them fit the theme once we know it.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Xerra

Adam will be posting screenshots on 1st September  ;D

Don't be ridiculous. Adam will have mostly finished by then   8)
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Steve Elliott

Don't be ridiculous. Adam will have mostly finished by then   8)

lol I know, I didn't want to push it too much  :D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

He will post some screenshots - then 3 weeks screenshots of the tools he writes as his development helpers - and finally submits something.

@ frameworks
I had a look at "godot" some weeks ago - and after frustrating hours of "this does not work?" "this is not possible yet?" ... I recognized how much I needed to code again for basic functionality I have with my "Dig"-Framework for BlitzMax already. On the other hand I get 3D support and more reachable platforms.
I consider such a "simple" entry like for this compo might be doable in godot (or unity or ...) to really see how annoying stuff can become.

So... hmm hmm. If I find the time I might consider (I wrote that already in this thread...) to try out 3D stuff. I _bet_ you will have to get used to a full new workflow than the established BlitzMax-2D-workflow of "rendering, saving as PNG, running a little spritesheet-tool, use sprites ingame". Setting up materials, having lights do their job, getting animation data from Blender to ToolXYZ, running animations...

Just remembers me: when I tried Godot that evening I saw 3D tilemaps (called "gridmaps") are available ... seems they only allow static "meshes" instead of "scenes". Scenes are "objects" in Godot (which can contain scripts, children, ...). Means you cannot create eg. a "ground tile + wall" but needed to have it joined already (single mesh). Not that nice. Means if I want a full fledged tilemap thingy, I would need to write it on my own (again, as I already have some stuff written for BlitzMax).

Regardless of the issues I will surely have: I want to use theses compos to learn something new every time. And this maybe means also trying out other programming toolkits.

@ maze with a twist
maybe require the mazes to twist :-)

bye
Ron

Qube

I will be adding in a twist :P - I'll decide that when I post the comp to try and make sure we're all starting from the same point in time.

I know I could cheat and decide what the twist will be and make a start myself but rest assured that's not the kind of person I am. Also I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to enter but I hope I can.

Maze - that's a big theme and I can't wait to see what you dream up ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

hmmm. I'm sensing hostility creeping my way  :P

No. I usually don't start until well after a theme is announced and also make a few u turns along the way. And yep I show pics of what I'm doing as it's much simpler to show that to describe (and that the way I think - visually).

Maybe people don't want to see how a project develops? Maybe I should just wait till the end and post at the last minute with everything all completed - but wouldn't that mean people would complain that someone is just posting pre-existing spam stuff???

I also vote on whether I liked a game, how it played, how it looked, etc. with no pre-judgements on who or how it was done.

And I can work fast because I have a tool chain I am familiar with and I've shared those resources so others can use them freely :)

And. Just so I don't hurt anyone feeling because there are no screen shots being posted. I thought I'de show part of my dock (at least auto correct didn't jump in there)!

so what do we have...?
blitz basic editor, ted21(dev version), ted21 (coding version), fontsprite editor, fontmap editor, palette editor, qasarardio sound editor, activity monitor.

So no, I haven't started anything... But I do loooove mazes :)

Derron

I am interested in development diaries. So come up with your stories and dev-shots.

Think such stuff always informs the dev on potential issues and can keep up motivation. Of course you can also get dis-encouraged if all users nag you to do this and that.

Won't start with my entry before sunday evening: classic board games with buddies this evening (wife gave me the allowance to leave for some hours - ha ha) and tomorrow is mothers birthday. So this means iWasAdam will already have posted first screens, Qube will still state that he is not sure whether he will join or not. I think there will also be some first screens from other users which will not really hmm "impress" (yet!) so I feel a good chance to join on sunday (or later).
I assume the competition participants will be less than in others and mostly be already registered users. Cash prizes (or other "useful" rewards) are a good chance to attract people. Dunno if it is worth to spend xxx bucks to attract 2-3 new users ;-)

@ twist
Oh, a game about mazes and a 60s rockabilly-star (ohhh let's twist again, ... - someone tried to teach me the twist-dance-moves: throw your cigarette to the ground and tear it apart with your shoe). Enough of offtopic/derailing.

bye
Ron

BasicBoy

Quote from: Derron on August 31, 2018, 07:09:48
Of course you can also get dis-encouraged if all users nag you to do this and that.

I think that's the main reason I'll be publishing my dev diary after I've submitted my game (if I get that far!).

David.
--

therevills

@Adam - I dont there was any hostility, more harmless pulling your leg about how productive you are! :)

@Timescale - 6 weeks is great for me, any more and its too much time to dedicate to it or just more time to put it off.

Steve Elliott

@Adam - I dont think there was any hostility, more harmless pulling your leg about how productive you are! :)

Precisely, smiley emoticons on my posts.  Don't be so touchy  :D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

So tommorow is the date of the announcement?

Derron

Just recognized that today is the 31th of August, not 1st of September. Already wondered why Qube stated that he will announce the theme once he fiddled out one.

Hah, so I can happily enjoy some whiskys today (Lagavulin, glenlived etc.).

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Hah, so I can happily enjoy some whiskys today (Lagavulin, glenlived etc.).

Then maybe some interesting ideas for the competition will happily present themselves  ;)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Adam was joking too, guys. Thought it was obvious :)

Come on Qube, let's hear what you've got planned for us. Twists n'all.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502