tips to check if an apk is safe (not a malware) ?

Started by RemiD, July 23, 2018, 20:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

Hello, :)

Here is the story :
There are auto updates of apps on my android tablet, and the problem is that apparently some new versions of apps don't work on my (old) version of android os (it is 4.2.2)
The problem recently occured with firefox browser, it worked well, then there was an autoupdate, then it does not want to work anymore, and it says that my version of android os is too old... WTF ?!

Anyway, my idea was to download a previous version (and hope that auto updates don't mess it again), but the doubt that i have is how to make sure that the apk file is safe (not a malware) if i download it from an other source (not from the mozilla website)

For example from here : https://firefox.fr.uptodown.com/android/old

Is there a way to check if an apk is safe (not a malware) before installing it ?

Thanks,

TomToad

There are several anti-virus programs for android.  Nearly all major vendors have an app.  Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, Malwarebytes, etc...  Nothing will be 100%, best thing is to find a browser compatible with your os.  You can also try rooting your phone, sometimes you can upgrade the OS to a later version than what your carrier supplies.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

RemiD

I have malware bytes installed on my android tablet, but i have not seen an option to analyze the content of an apk file... I will try a few others as you say...

Alternatively, do you know a reliable online scanner for apk files ?

TomToad

------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

markcwm

Malware is a big problem now for mobile, as a general rule the safe thing is just don't install anything from an unknown/untrusted source, which rules out all indie software unless you know, or can find, something about the creator. I don't do virus/malware scans as I find it all a bit too hit and miss.

Your android version is a bit old now and most app developers just don't bother with backwards compatibility. Not that it's not possible, recently we got Whatsapp to install on an old Samsung with android 2.3.6.

NRJ

My mobile has android version 4.1, I don't use Firefox browser otherwise I provided it to you.
I don't update most of the apps, if I update any app then I first make a backup of old apk. If app works OK after update then, I use that else I install the old app apk.
IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

Matty

If you downloaded Firefox from google play it should automatically prevent you from downloading an incompatible version as the manifest file in the apk will prevent it from even appearing in your google play market store as an option assuming firefox has indicated your os is too low.

So if you downloaded through regular channels---either firefox's manifest is wrong, or your tablet thinks it is a higher os than you say it is?

logic:
eg Google play Store: App minimum requirement = say 6.0

Your device is os 5.0....(for example)

Google play wont' allow you to even download it in the first place......

so no autoupdate is possible either.....in that case....

Qube

QuoteIs there a way to check if an apk is safe (not a malware) before installing it ?
I think the simplest way is to scan the APK files via :
https://apkscan.nviso.be
https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

Of course the main thing is to always download / install from reputable sources.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

RemiD

@Matty>>
Firefox was already installed and worked well on my OS, but the autoupdate downloaded an update which made Firefox incompatible with my OS (which i have not asked for, and i don't know how to disactivate the autoupdate (nothing in the parameters / options of the app))

Anyway, i can't use google play anymore, it opens, i can see it in the program list, but if i select it, it makes the tablet freeze... an update probably "fixed some issues"...

Fuck this autoupdate bs. >:(

@Kryzon>>
thanks, i will take a look

@Qube>>thanks for the link apkscan.nviso.be, didn't know this one...